Speeding tickets

(125 Posts)
DeckSwabber Fri 10-Jan-14 13:45:05

Fed up with it.

I drive most days. I am a careful driver. But I can't seem to keep my driving licence clean. Every ticket I have had is for exceeding the speed limit on a huge road when there has been very little traffic - not zooming down narrow residential streets or burning it up with the boy racers - just driving a bit faster than normal on a three lane carriageway because there is no traffic and it feels natural to go above 30mph.

So. I've never had more than three point on my licence at any time, but I clear my old penalty points and six months later I get another ticket.

I know its my own fault. But grrr anyway.

differentnameforthis Mon 13-Jan-14 10:35:45

What's cruise control? Once at the desired speed you can program the car to hold that speed, so you don't have to have your foot on the accelerator.

Bartman Mon 13-Jan-14 10:55:46

R

Bartman Mon 13-Jan-14 10:57:55

Remember folks that 8 times as many accidents are caused by failing to look properly than by exceeding the speed limit. Perhaps it's the dozy, shit driving that needs some attention rather than just speeding.

TheRealCarrieBradshaw Mon 13-Jan-14 12:05:29

Well said Bartman!

overthemill Mon 13-Jan-14 12:25:37

Ah, ok so that sounds like something on an automatic car then. I have a normal car so no wonder!

Stinklebell Mon 13-Jan-14 12:31:23

overthemill. DH has cruise control on his manual car, I don't on my automatic. I don't think it's just for automatics

MrsBethel Mon 13-Jan-14 12:34:18

Where I live I think am the only one who drives within the speed limit.

There I am, tootling along at 30 down a road spec'ed to 60 (because that's the limit, and I don't need one more thing to worry about, thank you). Other cars get very aggressive...

I'd always go within 30 when it's built-up and kids might dash out, regardless of the limit, but some of the speed limits take the piss. When you're on three clear lanes of motorway doing 40 or 50, or on a dual carriageway at 30, something ain't right. I won't speed, though - it's exactly those sort of roads (where the limit is comically wrong) where they put up the bloody cameras to get the cash flowing.

My mindset is philosophical - okay, I'll drive at your speed limit, and I'll just sit back and enjoy the absurdity of it all. Maybe stick on some Strauss.

Stinklebell Mon 13-Jan-14 12:39:13

I've got 1 speeding fine.

A few years ago I was coming back through some roadworks on an empty motorway at 3am and was clocked doing 36 in a 30

I did grump a lot - it's not faaaaiiiiirrrrr, road was empty, no workmen around, perfectly safe, blah, blah, blah, but it comes down to the fact that I wasn't paying enough attention to my speed and got caught fair and square, I paid the fine, took the points and sucked it up

meddie Mon 13-Jan-14 12:42:16

We have a dual carriageway that is 40 until you cross a junction, where it drops to 30 going past a cemetery. Then goes back to 40
no reason for the drop in the limit on the middle section and the residents of cemeterys are not known for randomly running out into traffic. But the police regularly put a mobile unit there and catch loads of people doing 40. total cash cow

TheRealCarrieBradshaw Mon 13-Jan-14 13:02:05

Cruise Control isn't just on Auto's , Jeez should you even be driving when you don't know what CC is ? blush

ParenthoodJourney Mon 13-Jan-14 13:18:49

I have a manual car with cruise control.

TheFuzz Mon 13-Jan-14 13:30:16

You have been caught a few times ? Time to learn perhaps.

MrsOakenshield Mon 13-Jan-14 15:16:35

My car is 11 years old (new when I bought it), very basic spec and it doesn't have cruise control and I didn't know what it was. Sounds very handy (though it also sounds like you don't have as much control, which can't be a good thing?) but I don't think knowing what this is is essential to driving a vehicle? grin

I agree that some speed cameras are there to generate revenue (it was only in recent years that they stopped being hidden) and that speed is not the only element of safe driving. But MN is full of middle-lane hoggers who think that as long as they are doing 69 on the motorway then they are driving perfectly safely.

SirChenjin Mon 13-Jan-14 16:02:52

It's hardly 'full'

TheRealCarrieBradshaw Mon 13-Jan-14 16:04:05

MrsOak - I do agree with you there, that is unacceptable especially on motorway

MrsOakenshield Mon 13-Jan-14 16:12:32

well, yes, 'full' is probably an exaggeration, but you'd be surprised SirC - there was a thread a while back when middle-lane hoggers were in the news sometime last year and I was astonished at the number of MNers who did this and thought it perfectly fine because they were doing 69 and didn't like changing lanes especially past a juggernaut or some such nonsense.

overthemill Mon 13-Jan-14 17:07:49

mrscarriebradshaw I have a pretty good command of the Highway Code, have never received so much as a parking ticket in 27 years of driving and have 12 year old manual galaxy lowest spec that doesn't have such a thing. I also don't know what all sorts of technical things are on a car (what exactly is a piston ring, for example) but I can safely drive a car and do not break the law. So I think it's safe to say that yes I should even be driving a car unlike the tossed who wrote the OP

StripyPenguin Mon 13-Jan-14 17:16:16

16 years, no points, no accidents and never broken the speed limit. I consider myself to be a careful and considerate driver. If you break the speed limit then take the consequences.

MrsDeVere Mon 13-Jan-14 17:23:38

But middle lane hoggers are a distraction from the point.
They, like people who go too slow, old men in hats, women putting lipstick on in traffic blah blah are always bought up by people who speed.

They are irrelevant to the argument in that if they all stopped doing those dangerous things people who speed would still speed and still be dangerous.

The fact is if you are speeding you are less equipped to deal with the above hazards.

ProfPlumSpeaking Mon 13-Jan-14 17:25:34

3 speeding tickets over 30 years is not "regularly speeding", but the truth is that even once is too often and I don't think you are going to get any sympathy, OP. Sorry, not from me either. Can I say you sound nice though as you do accept that you were in the wrong and (I hope, reading between the lines) that you intend to be more careful in future. If so, then the tickets have done their job :-)

LaundryFairy Mon 13-Jan-14 18:13:32

Have a look at this ad from New Zealand - will put you off speeding for life:
www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/this-antispeeding-ad-from-new-zealand-will-haunt-you/story-fnixwvgh-1226797541715

TheRealCarrieBradshaw Mon 13-Jan-14 18:22:34

Wow, just watched this Ad, freaky stuff hmm

Although the clips you are made to watch in the DD Rehab course are 10-times more gut wrenching, a few had me in tears hmm

Bunbaker Mon 13-Jan-14 18:39:29

Quite frankly I don't believe anyone who says that they have never, ever broken the speed limit - not even by 1 mph! I drive at or under the limit, but I admit to having broken it in the past.

It is deceptively easy to nudge over 30mph by a mile or two and so tempting to nudge up to 75 or 80 on a motorway. All I can say is thank goodness for cruise control in OH's car, because it is such a smooth quiet ride that you feel like you are travelling more slowly than you are. And, yes I do keep an eye on the speedo and stick to the limit. I'm just not as self righteous as some people on here.

StripyPenguin Mon 13-Jan-14 19:42:12

OK, never consciously broken the speed limit.

WhyDontWeUseRealNames Sun 26-Jan-14 23:44:08

I live in Brighton and I'm running a petition to get 20 mph limits on some local streets, instead of retaining 30 mph as decided (wrongly in my view) at a council meeting in December. The streets are used as routes to schools and there are shops, parks, nurseries etc. This shouldn't be a political issue, but local politics gets mixed up with road safety where there's a possibility of political advantage and courting the motoring majority. Please see the website and sign on line if you use services in Brighton:
goo.gl/xzFlZI

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now