Speeding tickets

(125 Posts)
DeckSwabber Fri 10-Jan-14 13:45:05

Fed up with it.

I drive most days. I am a careful driver. But I can't seem to keep my driving licence clean. Every ticket I have had is for exceeding the speed limit on a huge road when there has been very little traffic - not zooming down narrow residential streets or burning it up with the boy racers - just driving a bit faster than normal on a three lane carriageway because there is no traffic and it feels natural to go above 30mph.

So. I've never had more than three point on my licence at any time, but I clear my old penalty points and six months later I get another ticket.

I know its my own fault. But grrr anyway.

allmycats Fri 10-Jan-14 15:46:42

STOP Speeding - if you can't then stop driving.

Dahlen Fri 10-Jan-14 15:47:25

I can sympathise with your frustration because no one likes getting done for a momentary lapse of concentration when they are normally far more careful and see lots of other people flouting the rules much more often.

However, that's the thing with road traffic law. It's very black and white. Doesn't matter if you drive carefully 99% of the time in every 10 years. The question isn't "How carefully do you drive normally?" The question is "Did you break the speed limit?" Which you did. On camera.

I don't want to sound harsh, but like others have pointed out, if you were driving too fast to notice the brightly painted speed camera and react in time to reduce your speed sufficiently, then you weren't actually driving that carefully. If you did't notice the camera, you probably wouldn't have noticed any hazards either, certainly not in enough time to react.

You haven't committed the crime of the century and you've paid the price (literally) for your motoring offences. You're not a terrible person or even a terrible driver most probably, just an occasionally distracted one (which most of us are from time to time). Take it on the chin and chalk it up to experience while thinking about your speed more in the future.

BarbarianMum Fri 10-Jan-14 15:48:36

I had a clean driving license (22 years) until last winter when I was snaped doing 33 mph in a 30. The speed awareness course was very useful - it made me check my speed a lot more. In doing so I was horrified how easy it is for speed to creep up on certain sorts of road.

It made me realise that I was not as safe a driver as I thought I was. It also made me realise how many people speed (I am overtaken by a stream of cars on the duel carriageway home every night now I'm super aware and stck to 40).

Anyway, point is, just because you haven't been caught doesn't mean you aren't occasionally speeding. I am very anti speeding and thought I was very careful about my speed prior to being ticketed.

MrsOakenshield Fri 10-Jan-14 15:57:07

I can understand your frustration, in the conditions you describe. It doesn't sound like you were unsafe - though I'm sure someone will come up with the suggestion that a random toddler might, just might, through no fault of anyone responsible for them, have got on to the road. But MN can be very holier-than-thou about speeding.

That's the thing, isn't it - you are not roaring about the place, doing 60 in built up areas - you are on a 3 lane highway where, the last you saw, the speed limit was 40. Why would you expect it to go down to 30? (was it the A3?)

(also, don't think the OP said she didn't notice the camera, but that she didn't notice that the speed limit had gone down to 30.)

MrsDeVere Fri 10-Jan-14 15:58:25

What do you mean you misjudged conditions?

You also need to understand that a road is only 'virtually empty' and free of hazards until it isn't.

And those extra MPH are what make the difference between you killing yourself/someone and not doing so.

Have you been on a speed course yet? I think you should if you haven't.

SirChenjin Fri 10-Jan-14 16:02:05

Thing is - you must be driving over the speed limit as a matter of course if you're picking up that number of speeding points. I've been driving for 25 years now and have a completely clean licence, always have - that's not to say that I haven't driven over the speed limit but I don't do it regularly and definitely not in residential areas. You say that every ticket I have had is for exceeding the speed limit on a huge road when there has been very little traffic - well, duh - slow down on huge roads where there is a 30mph sign!

Speed awareness courses and satnavs are your friends.

candycoatedwaterdrops Fri 10-Jan-14 16:03:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for containing disablist language which is against our Talk Guidelines.

pinkcheese Fri 10-Jan-14 16:05:11

Can I recommend using the cruise control in such situations? I know they're not popular in UK but setting it at 30 means that you can't accidentally creep over the limit. I use it all the time.

And I sympathize with the OP. Plenty of people have no points because they brake hard to go from 75 to 60 when they see a camera--on the A505 because their stupid satnavs think its a 60 zone-- and hugely increase the chances of being in an accident. To my mind, that is far more dangerous than 35mph on a dual carriageway at night.

SirChenjin Fri 10-Jan-14 16:09:32

'Plenty of people' have no points on their licence because they are good drivers who are observant and drive according to the road conditions without going over the speed limit.

FaerieBells Fri 10-Jan-14 16:10:05

Thing is, OP, driving is not a human right.

If you can't do it properly, don't do it.

You sound a bit put out that all those other, worse drivers than you (the ones who eat, use their mobiles etc) are 'getting away with it' while you are being unfairly picked on.

Why don't you take pride in being a BETTER driver than them, not get all petulant that you can't get away with it too?

Bartman Fri 10-Jan-14 16:12:27

Get radar/laser detector and get your observation skills up to scratch and you should be able to spot potential traps/cameras. A detector has saved my ass on quite a few occasions!

specialsubject Fri 10-Jan-14 16:27:05

just because other drivers are more dangerous than you is not an excuse for you to be dangerous.

'misjudged speed because of the conditions' - WTF? Speedo not working? Eyes shut?

so you agree you are crap. Do something about it. Get some lessons or sell the car.

Bunbaker Fri 10-Jan-14 16:29:32

A couple of family members have been on speed awareness courses recently and they both said that they were told to drive in a lower gear in order to stick to 30 mph.

I get what you mean about misjudging speed because driving at 30 in a large, modern car feels as slow as walking. In older cars you "feel" the speed more.

I have taken to using the cruise control in OH's car and driving at 30 in third gear because it isn't happy driving at 30 in fourth. I realise that most cars probably don't have cruise control, but I think it is useful these situations.

lougle Fri 10-Jan-14 16:29:54

You can't misjudge conditions. You have a speedo. You know the speed limit.

I've had two speeding tickets in 12 years of driving, both acquired in a single week - I had changed my car and hadn't got used to the increased acceleration of my new car, so had tipped over 30 as I moved up the gears from 3rd to 4th.

My own fault, completely - I have a speedo; I should have been watching it.

I went on a speed awareness course for the first one, but of course, the second one, which arrived 4 days after the first, was not eligible.

So I had to carry the 3 points. That was in 2010.

volvocowgirl Fri 10-Jan-14 16:31:12

You can't be being that careful if you keep getting tickets! Pay more attention and stop speeding. Quite simple really.

ComposHat Fri 10-Jan-14 16:46:59

You are not a careful driver and if you've missed

1) the speed limit sign
2) the sign alerting you to the fact there's a camera ahead
3) a huge box painted fluro yellow.

Then you aren't paying attention to the road.

You say that you keep getting caught on the same road (or the same type of road) why haven't you learned after the first ticket? Isn't a definition of idiocy, doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting the result to be different?

overthemill Fri 10-Jan-14 17:00:02

I have been driving since 1987 and never had any kind of speeding or traffic offence. DH who has been driving since 1976 gets 3 points at least annually. I am so losses off at how much he drives up our insurance I forced to accept the speeding course last month. Can't wait for him to go on it and start saving money!

I honestly don't know how you can be speeding. Hope you get it sorted before someone dies

overthemill Fri 10-Jan-14 17:00:35

Haha! PIssed off

Objection Sat 11-Jan-14 15:29:15

I had to go on the speed awareness course and they made an excellent point:

"the speed limit is 30 mpg. Why were you speeding?"
lots of answers like
"I was rushing"
"I wasn't paying attention to the speedo"
"I didn't know the speed limit"
etc

the course leader then asked if any of those reasons would be a good explanation if you had hit someone and we're having to explain your speed to a loved one.

nobody is ever not responsible for their own speed.

I don't speed now, regardless if the road is wide, not busy, not built up etc.

as someone said upthread: if there are lights - it's a 30. If there are not lights - it's national speed limit. It is only different if there are regular signs saying so. .

Objection Sat 11-Jan-14 15:35:29

*mph (autocorrect)

and sorry for the double negative

Objection Sat 11-Jan-14 15:37:43

and who's to say those other people aren't going to get caught round the corner? you did, I did, lots of posters here did so it stands to reason that they will too smile

Bunbaker Sat 11-Jan-14 15:42:57

Why is it that when you are driving at 30 in a 30mph speed limit and some impatient idiot whizzes past at 60 there is never a speed camera/policeman with a speed gun? This happened last week. The stupid driver drove past a whole line of us who were sticking to the speed limit and there was no-one to stop him/her.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sat 11-Jan-14 15:50:23

The speed limits are not just plucked from thin air.

It simple stop speeding.

Around the streets I live in the speed limit is 30, but I do 1/2 that as it's not a safe speed in my opinion.

It a speed limit not a target.

Bunbaker Sat 11-Jan-14 15:56:13

You drive at 15 mph? Sometimes driving too slowly is as much of a hazard as driving too fast because other drivers get frustrated and overtake when they shouldn't.

Interestingly, on my speed awareness course the policeman said they would stop someone who was driving extremely slowly in case they were ill or drunk.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sat 11-Jan-14 16:13:01

It's really built up and only 1 car can drive down the road, parked cars and loads of little side streets.

Almost everyone drives slow it's only the idiots that do 30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now