I can't ever imagine returning to work. And I'm quite happy with that

(390 Posts)
Anyfuckerisnotguilty Thu 09-Jan-14 14:43:14

Although I realise that makes me seem quite odd to others

But I actually really like not working and just being able to do whatever I want

MillionPramMiles Thu 09-Jan-14 15:10:09

Perfectly reasonable but possibly naive/irresponsible if you don't also have independent long term financial security.

TheGreatHunt Thu 09-Jan-14 15:11:20

No need to tell the rest of us who would like but don't have this option.

envy

SlightlyDampWellies Thu 09-Jan-14 15:14:21

Oh, I wish so much I could not work. Am very green of those who xan make that choice.

SlightlyDampWellies Thu 09-Jan-14 15:14:27

*can

YANBU

But I am the opposite. I can't imagine not working. And I assume people would think this was weirder.

I had 2 years in NYC when I didn't have a visa so couldn't work and DPs ex pat deal was so good I didn't need to. I was climbing the walls in boredom and lacking a sense of self and what I am for and about. I even wrote a (crap) novel to keep myself busy but it didn't really help.

Now that's weird.

planterbowl Thu 09-Jan-14 15:32:20

I bloody love not working. Haven't had a paid job for 15 years. I've done loads of courses, travel, sports, hobbies, and occasional volunteer work. It keeps me busy but I have the choice to have duvet days when I want.

Mordirig Thu 09-Jan-14 15:34:06

I don't blame you, however I'm quite happy with working only 2 days per week, I'm a SAHM mon-fri and the weekends keep me sane!

noddyholder Thu 09-Jan-14 15:35:10

You can as long as you can fund it.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Thu 09-Jan-14 15:36:14

envy

Geckos48 Thu 09-Jan-14 15:37:00

Totally up to you what you do.

I really enjoy working but I can definitely see the allure smile

MrsDavidBowie Thu 09-Jan-14 15:37:19

I didn't work for 7 years after having eldest dc.
I remember getting pregnant and thinking "thank god I don't have to come back to work".

I made lots of friends when the children were little, lots of swopping children so we got free afternoons regularly, really enjoyed it.
Got involved in PtA at school, but realised when ds was 5 I was bored.
Saw a great term time job in the paper...my ideal job.
And I' m still doing it 10 years later.

Pays peanuts, but it's so satisfying.

TheArticFunky Thu 09-Jan-14 15:39:25

I know lots of people in your position and they are genuinely happy with their lot. It's not for me though.

Anyfuckerisnotguilty Thu 09-Jan-14 17:07:24

we are not any benefits

BerniceBroadside Thu 09-Jan-14 17:14:51

As long as one remembers that a man (or woman) is not a financial plan then carry on.

If I won the lottery I'd gladly quit. It wouldn't be quite so much fun to stay at home on oh's salary eating aldi beans.

JackShit Thu 09-Jan-14 17:19:24

As long as you're not being 'kept' by a man.

usuallyright Thu 09-Jan-14 17:22:04

being 'kept'
What a hideous choice of words.

JeanSeberg Thu 09-Jan-14 17:37:01

Who is financing it then?

bebbeau Thu 09-Jan-14 17:37:31

i am the same, have done a bit of self employed work basically for pin money but pretty much stopped now am 6 months pg with dc3.....can't imagine going back to the 9-5 grind, working for someone else etc

i will probably have to though at some point as we are not rich by any stretch, just comfortable atm

TheNightIsDark Thu 09-Jan-14 17:38:53

I'm bursting to get back to work some days. Am currently on mat leave! Other days I quite like swanning around between school runs.

As long as you're funding this yourself, great.

Obviously I don't know your financial situation as your OP was quite vague.

However, I couldn't ever imagine a situation where I wasn't earning my own money. I'm single and have been for ages, which suits me, but were I to find a partner, there's no way I'd compromise my own earning potential. I'd also need to know that If the relationship broke down I could leave immediately and be fine on my own.

Too many of my friends have stopped earning and been forced to stay in awful relationships, desperately trying to "make it work" because they know they'd be fucked if they weren't with the man.

I know every couple is different, but that's my take on things.

Potus Thu 09-Jan-14 17:48:01

Are you independently wealthy? [Envy]

Potus Thu 09-Jan-14 17:48:35

Thar should be envy !

If you are individually wealthy enough not to work then fine - good luck to you. If your plan relies on a partner working to support you then your approach is only acceptable if your partner also buys into it. If they are happy to support you, then all well and good. If they would like you to share the burden to take the pressure of them and you won't, then not so good.

Your OP is too vague to know.

pinkdelight Thu 09-Jan-14 17:55:58

Depends what you do. If you're in the right job, work can be like play is to a child. I love working and would rather do it than have a holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now