Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

I can't ever imagine returning to work. And I'm quite happy with that

(390 Posts)
Anyfuckerisnotguilty Thu 09-Jan-14 14:43:14

Although I realise that makes me seem quite odd to others

But I actually really like not working and just being able to do whatever I want

tenementfunster Thu 09-Jan-14 14:44:49

Horses for courses, innit

ilovesooty Thu 09-Jan-14 14:45:53

I'm sure quite a lot of people would like to
do the same.

Lilacroses Thu 09-Jan-14 14:46:11

Good that you are happy. I don't think you're odd, I think many people would enjoy that situation and would be envious of you!

PedlarsSpanner Thu 09-Jan-14 14:46:26

Presumably money no object, no responsibilities, go ahead!

russianmule Thu 09-Jan-14 14:49:39

I like a bit of both, I work from home and have really busy periods and others that I do very little and do what I like. But I understand completely I love my days pottering in the garden and reading books. I am only 40 but sound absolutely ancient

You do what is right for you.

Joysmum Thu 09-Jan-14 14:49:43

I was the same. Things changed when my dd started at senior school in September and now I'm heading back into college to train for my new career.

Be prepared for your biggest opposition to come from other women wink

SilverApples Thu 09-Jan-14 14:51:33

No, I'd love to retire right now and do whatever I want.
Continue it for as long as possible, OP. grin

Joules68 Thu 09-Jan-14 14:51:36

Depends on your circumstances I guess

Fairylea Thu 09-Jan-14 14:51:39

Same here.

Unless I was literally on the breadline I would not want to return to work. I worked in a very stressful senior position for many years and I have no desire to ever work ever again. Ever.

smile

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 09-Jan-14 14:52:18

I'm in two minds. I love the thought of not having to work, but at the same time feel I ought to be an equal contributor in the marriage. I don't like the thought of DP earning all the money. I think it's pride.

My opinion is of no consequence anyway, because I don't really have a choice. We couldn't afford for either of us not to work.

Floggingmolly Thu 09-Jan-14 14:52:33

Me too smile

Floggingmolly Thu 09-Jan-14 14:53:23

That was to Fairylea

RayPurchase Thu 09-Jan-14 14:54:35

Me too smile

gamerchick Thu 09-Jan-14 14:55:16

I do both.. The stay at home have 6 hrs a day with house to myself while kids at school and husband at work and work 2 jobs at the weekend.

Best of both worlds grin

If you have the resource to stay home and you don't get bored then crack on.

JeanSeberg Thu 09-Jan-14 14:55:27

Depends who's financing it.

LuisSuarezTeeth Thu 09-Jan-14 14:56:42

Must be lovely to have the choice. sad

I enjoy my life how it is at the moment, and I can afford not to work. My DH also works long hours and its hard to work arond him.

I would like to go back at some point I think, but right now, not so much.

Worriedthistimearound Thu 09-Jan-14 14:57:28

Each to their own. As long as you can afford it, either personally or as a family unit then who cares. If you're expecting the taxpayer to support you in this lifelong idleness then that's quite a different matter.

Beastofburden Thu 09-Jan-14 14:58:44

I think it goes in waves. I was completely happy at home for 7 years. Then I wasn't, so I went back to work. Now I am really looking forward to retirement smile

myitchybeaver Thu 09-Jan-14 14:59:07

If you can afford to and get self-esteem from other things then great, enjoy. If you're living on benefits and are fit enough to work or if your DH is slaving away while you sit with your feet up, maybe not.

MyNameIsWinkly Thu 09-Jan-14 14:59:21

If I was very very rich I would like not working, because I could have adventures and improve myself all the time. But I'm not, and I enjoy the structure and stimulation of working. Staying at home wouldn't suit me - but that isn't a criticism of those it does suit.

I am aware I may feel differently after DC1 joins us in the summer. Then again, I may not.

Kveta Thu 09-Jan-14 15:01:37

I feel the same right now. But suspect that once DD is at school I will feel differently.

at the moment, the idea of having to leave the house and interact with people in a professional manner brings me out in a cold sweat, but hopefully a bit more sleep of a night will remedy that!

Lilacroses Thu 09-Jan-14 15:02:53

I would love to win the lottery for the reason that my dp has worked so bloody hard all her life (even as a kid she was looking after her useless parents) and would so love to study at uni and work in an animal shelter. I think I need to do part time work at least otherwise I become very lazy and bored. I enjoy the stimulation of work but I HATE the paperwork.

Ilovexmastime Thu 09-Jan-14 15:03:45

Yabu. I'd love to never have to work again. I could easily fill my days with long walks, good books, new recipes, adult ed courses, gardening etc etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now