To think that this is utterly bizarre and unfair?

(61 Posts)
VulvaVoom Sun 05-Jan-14 12:50:51

I was looking up prices of a local adventure park place (the kind that has lots of land, farmyard animals, rides etc) and this was in with the entrance fee info:

'We are sorry but we are unable to let single MEN OR WOMEN without children into the park. If you are here to meet someone let one of our reception staff know and they will happily do a tannoy asking them to come and meet you'

AIBU to find this utterly odd and unfair? Perhaps they've had a problem with predatory paedophiles in the past? confused

Imagine if, as an individual you went there for a wander/look at the animals/coffee and they wouldn't let you in.

I'm not the type to overreact but this certainly surprised me!

MrsDeVere Tue 07-Jan-14 20:27:20

Isn't the Coram's field thing historic?

I may be making this up but I thought it was because of some {insert legal term here} because the land has to be used for the enjoyment of London's children.

lozster Tue 07-Jan-14 20:22:16

A park near great Ormond street also has (or did have) this rule enforced by security. My other half had sat down to eat a sandwich accompanied by his sister. It is fairly insulting and begs the question of whether security who enforce the rule might be better just keeping an eye on the kids safety rather than focusing on checking each adult has a kiddie with them. Reasons for a single person being in a park might be sandwich eating, having a sit down, checking out the equipment for your own kids/nieces etc, seeing what your council tax has been spent on... Or even (shock horror) enjoying seeing children have fun.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 07-Jan-14 19:46:27

Although Sundown don't have animals, and I just looked on their website and can't see anything so maybe its changed.

Gullivers website however does say no childless adults allowed. But they don't have animals either do they - didn't at Matlock when I last went. So as its all kids rides only can't really see why an adult without a child would want to go to there. I guess as its private property they can do what they want. Maybe they've had problems with drunken groups trying to jam themselves into the teacups?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 07-Jan-14 19:39:55

Its Sundown isn't it? If not then they have the same sign on their gates.

AlpacaPicnic Tue 07-Jan-14 19:36:10

I suspect it is, as others have said, a clumsy worded attempt to say Adults must be accompanied by a child.

Isn't there a park in London where this is the rule? Corams fields, something like that?

The website says that they want to keep it a family attraction, I went to the Warrington one a lot when mine were young.

It was good because it was only little ones and didn't attract adults/teens, unlike other attractions, which I moved on to, as they grew.

I don't see the problem, tbh.

Sadoldbear Tue 07-Jan-14 18:34:29

Tough if you're interested in the Falconry event in Feb. And are you able to shop in their farmshop?

tolittletoolate Tue 07-Jan-14 18:25:02

Although I really don't know why someone would go there without having children with them, there are no real thrill rides and it is mostly for kids.

tolittletoolate Tue 07-Jan-14 18:23:04

is it Gullivers Land by any chance?

We went there during half term and they wouldn't let my husband in on his own, we were already in there and he came later. Poor sod was trying to ring us to come to the entrance and prove he had a child and isn't a paedophile! !

summersblue Tue 07-Jan-14 18:07:06

Is this sign even legal?

phantomnamechanger Tue 07-Jan-14 16:22:59

and their wording is nonsensical anyway - their use of "single" - if you take your marriage cert to prove you are not a single man or woman, that's ok??

phantomnamechanger Tue 07-Jan-14 16:19:18

PS sorry but I really dislike the term kiddyfiddler as used by several on this thread

^ 100% agree, it's a vile term for a vile act, dressed up as a cutesy NN

justgirl Tue 07-Jan-14 16:11:59

I think some people are misunderstanding it/the playground has worded it incorrectly and the disclaimer is probably intended as lone adults....whether they be alone or in a group.

I am also shocked at people being aghast at the discrimination and then going on to complain about single MEN and being uneasy about single MEN being in soft plays until they are sure they are with a child?!

Seriously......are people still under the impression that women aren't a risk?! and frankly it annoys me beyond belief to know that there must be people judging my DP when he is out alone with our children at the soft play/park.

Will common sense ever prevail I wonder!

CaptainTripps Tue 07-Jan-14 15:23:42

The post by chocolatemademefat typifies the hysteria...and it is hysteria. Anyway, as Pipbin says, most children are abused by people known to them, not some random stranger.

(PS sorry but I really dislike the term kiddyfiddler as used by several on this thread)

MostWicked Sun 05-Jan-14 18:21:42

Why would a single adult want to go to a park like that on their own?
I don't see the problem with it.

There are plenty of open farms and parks that a single person could go to.

trulymadlyme Sun 05-Jan-14 18:18:18

I think it is discriminatory and unnecessary. I often go to places on my own. Our local park has the sunniest benches next to the children's play area and if i choose to sit there then that is my choice. I am not there to harm anyone and all children should be accompanied and supervised as there are many dangers least of all predatory singles. I work in childcare and often go to visit an attraction to do a revue/risk assessment - is this not allowed?

lilyaldrin Sun 05-Jan-14 18:17:28

If they wanted to avoid rowdy groups of adults, surely they'd require children to accompany them rather than just saying no lone adults?

Doinmummy Sun 05-Jan-14 18:11:20

The paedophile I knew has a wife and 2 daughters.

LessMissAbs Sun 05-Jan-14 18:03:55

Some people find it relaxing looking at farmyard animals. I went to the zoo recently on my own - it was during the day, I had a holiday and DH was at work.

There seems to be an increasing obsession about not doing things on your own. Wherever you go, if you dare do anything without a companion, its like "You're not here ON YOUR OWN are you?"

Goodness knows what it must be like for a single man. Totally overreactionary.

GoldenGytha Sun 05-Jan-14 17:47:58

Well I'm a single adult, and my youngest DC is 20 years old, so I wouldn't be allowed in, unless with a child.

Seems like madness to me, I love animals and would happily go to see farm ones.

I can understand the playground ones, but what if you just wanted to go and see the animals?

lilyaldrin Sun 05-Jan-14 17:40:02

It is a bit odd that it's single adults - so a posse of paedos would be fine hmm

Lots of playgrounds have an "adults only if accompanied by a child" rule though which I think is fine.

MrsDeVere Sun 05-Jan-14 17:38:40

morethan that was my first thought.
More about adults thinking it would be a laugh to go and get pissed than about peedos.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 05-Jan-14 17:35:10

I have been to similar places that have had this rule and it was due to people meeting inside and becoming intoxicated, its probably been used as a meeting place for stag/hen parties etc. It's surprising where they meet.
My ds1 meets his mates in lots of weird places in the quest for unusual venues for grooms. grin

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 05-Jan-14 17:34:48

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure DS pointed out to me recently that Lego Land has a no unaccompanied adults policy.
I can see both sides really. These are child based activities.

VulvaVoom Sun 05-Jan-14 17:32:51

Also, I'll admit I'm the sort of person who might be suspicious of men hanging around on their own near children but this is akin to shouting 'PAEDO, PAEDO, RUUUUNNNNNN!!!!'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now