to think a grown man should be able to buy sanitary towels?

(277 Posts)
JingleJemJem Sun 05-Jan-14 09:48:54

My DH won't buy them for me. So even though he does our weekly shop if I need any I have to go out and buy them separately. He says it's embarrassing looking 'in that aisle'.

Today I'm suffering with a heavy period and cramps and need more towels but I can't be bothered having the discussion with him to try and get him to buy me some as I know he won't, so I'm going to have to go out and get them myself.

Do other men behave this immaturely when it comes to 'women's things'? Or is it just mine? If there was a male equivalent I wouldn't think twice about buying it for him!

JeanSeberg Sun 05-Jan-14 09:50:50

Stop doing things for him if that's how he likes to divide things. He sounds pathetic.

LouSend Sun 05-Jan-14 09:52:14

My Dh was a bit like listening

MrsLouisTheroux Sun 05-Jan-14 09:52:22

so I'm going to have to go out and get them myself.
TBH I buy them myself. Are you bedridden?

FlatsInDagenham Sun 05-Jan-14 09:52:59

That's ridiculous. My DH bought some for me yesterday. When I asked him I was all apologetic and contrite, but he just looked at me like confused and asked me which brand I wanted.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 05-Jan-14 09:53:36

Is he saying he cares more about what people might think of him than looking after you? Does he honestly think that in this day and age people would give a shiny shit what's in his shopping basket?

Time for one of "those" conversations, OP! Good luck wink

Mine is happy to buy with exact directions as to brand and type (because I'm fussy). But then his dad owned a chemist shop and he spent his teens selling sanitary products to women. Yours sounds a bit wet OP. Tell him to man up. Everybody will know they're not for him!

thegreylady Sun 05-Jan-14 09:55:07

Mine never bothered, he was quite happy to buy stuff like that for me or for dd. he was over 60 when I stopped needing sanitary towels but never batted an eyelid about shopping for them.

JingleJemJem Sun 05-Jan-14 09:55:34

No not bedridden but at home with the kids and he is out so if it was a loaf of bread or something I needed I would just ask him to buy it on his way home IYSWIM, sorry I didn't explain that part properly.

Phineyj Sun 05-Jan-14 09:55:42

No. FGS. DH does and he can't even hear the word period without blushing.

diddl Sun 05-Jan-14 09:56:45

How ridiculous of him!

My PFB was prem-husband ended up getting maternity pads, breast pads etc as I was in hospital.

Chippednailvarnish Sun 05-Jan-14 09:57:26

If it makes you feel any better I sent DH out to get some huge ones after the birth of DD and he came back with the biggest Tena Lady pads in the shop.

I returned them to the shop the following week and the lady behind the customer service desk was laughing her head off at him!

hazchem Sun 05-Jan-14 09:57:56

Mine would buy them. It's never really come up. I've switched to resusable ones and he hangs them on the line and folds them.

dawntigga Sun 05-Jan-14 09:58:06

Of course not, Mr Tigga calls me to make sure he's getting the right ones when he gets to the aisle.

Doesn'tUnderstandWhyAnyoneWouldGetEmbaressedTiggaxx

Joysmum Sun 05-Jan-14 09:58:16

Mine was embarrassed the first time too. He got over that because I was in need and he had the power to help.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 05-Jan-14 09:58:17

Oh fgs. Does her really think anyone cares he has tampons in a trolly? How pathetically immature that he can't buy his wife a box in the way home.

I thought children at primary school learnt about periods? No need thirty years later to be avoiding aisles confused

Norudeshitrequired Sun 05-Jan-14 09:59:40

My husband would go and buy them, but he would most likely phone me from the aisle to ask whether I wanted winged ones, super ones, regular ones, body form ones or other brand.....
He wouldn't have any shame in buying anything, he's just a bit clueless and would need very specific instructions.
Tell your OH to man up and stop being so silly. Out of curiosity; does he behave the same about buying condoms, pregnancy tests etc?

kalidanger Sun 05-Jan-14 09:59:56

I'd have to get a bit forceful, I think. You need them and there's no debate. Don't pussyfoot. Perhaps a text with the exact type so he doesn't have to dither. He's BU.

He sounds like a pathetic excuse for a man.

Mine has happily bought tampons, pregnancy tests and anusol for me grin.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 05-Jan-14 10:00:13

YANBU

DH has always been happy to buy tampons/towels for me, even really early in our relationship.

I really would have no patience with a man who was so childish as yours OP.

eurochick Sun 05-Jan-14 10:00:18

It's pretty ridiculous. Will he buy loo roll? San pro is no more intimate for 50% of the population. My husband doesn't have a problem with it but does need clear instructions.

Before we were married, he was coming round with some food for me because I was ill. I was also having the period from hell - painful and heavy. He texted to ask if there was anything else he could bring. I texted back "orange tampax". He turned up with (useless for me) regular tampax and some tropicana.... At least it gave me a laugh.

JingleJemJem Sun 05-Jan-14 10:00:49

He is fine about buying condoms, perhaps because he gets the benefit from that!

Bowlersarm Sun 05-Jan-14 10:01:04

DH very happy to buy sanitary stuff for me. He would definitely make a special trip for me if I was in your position. Tell him to man up, and stop acting like an immature schoolboy.

MrsLouisTheroux Sun 05-Jan-14 10:01:57

He should buy them then OP. if he's going out anyway to the supermarket it seems stupid for you to go out separately. Sending him on an errand specifically to get towels is a different matter. I'd go myself if that was the case.

crazykat Sun 05-Jan-14 10:02:43

My DH was a bit like that when we first got together but tbh I was embarrassed to ask him.

It soon changed when I had the dcs and he had to go get maternity ones. Now he just asks which colour I need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now