Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think its daft to worry about being a MIL to sons wives but not to worry about being a MIL to daughters husbands? (Inspired by another thread - not a thread about a thread)

(101 Posts)
Salmotrutta Sat 04-Jan-14 22:16:47

Why is it just future/present DIL who seem to cause the angst?

Why do most people on here worry about them but not present/future sons-in-law?

A son-in-law could be just as awful surely?

(Mine is lovely and is a great DH and dad)

mathanxiety Mon 06-Jan-14 04:27:12

OP -- I do understand that sometimes there are total breakdowns in inlaw relationships but I'm talking more about the "I can't stand my MIL because she gives my children sweets/criticises my dusting/sniffs at my cooking"

It's exactly that sort of petty, stupid, rude, thoughtless, and unnecessary comment that makes for deep and permanent rifts.

Would you speak your mind so freely to your MIL about her dusting or her cooking or other things she has managed on her own for many years? In what parallel universe is any of that acceptable?

If you spoke to others like that, in their own homes, what response would you anticipate?
If you fed someone's pet something they had asked you not to feed it, how do you think they would feel?

Would you choose as a friend someone who behaved like this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now