AIBU to wish this stupid phobia would go away?

(32 Posts)
MySmallToeNail Sat 04-Jan-14 20:06:00

Have a severe phobia about being sick that impacts on my whole life. I have a very restricted diet now, due to being scared of 'unsafe' foods and as for this time of year with the 'sick bug', I hate even going out. I get so stressed when having to go to see people in hospital - have a poorly MIL - and have panic attacks if I see someone be ill on tv - even if it is on a soap and not real!!
Hate how pathetic this makes me feel sad

MySmallToeNail Sun 05-Jan-14 16:12:45

Thank you Balaboosta smile sadly, I live too far away from London but will see if there is anywhere closer to me x

chocolatemademefat Sun 05-Jan-14 22:42:56

YANBU. I used to have a real fear of being sick - went through a seven year period managing to avoid it. I had to spend a long time in hospital and due to the nature of my illness I was vomiting every day. For me I think it was fear of the unknown.
I still dread being sick and hate seeing - or hearing - other people throwing up but if it needs to happen it will despite taking precautions.
Hope you can get some help with this.

LimitedEditionLady Sun 05-Jan-14 23:38:03

I have a different anxiety but ive never sought help,what i have done is faced it slowly but surely in little steps.Its kind of that I have shown myself and my mind that I am being irritational by doing what it is im anxious about.Its not been easy by any means but you can do it x

Bodypopper Sun 05-Jan-14 23:41:43

You are not silly or pathetic at all. Phobias are vile.

paddyclampo Sun 05-Jan-14 23:51:56

I have this too although not as badly as you OP. I've got quite a bit better than I used to be, eg I can eat out but would never order prawns or chicken which I consider to be high risk. I can cope now if someone is sick for a reason such as being drunk or pregnant but any mention of stomach bugs esp the n***virus (can't even say it) sends me running for cover.

I guess I'm lucky in that other than making me avoid crowded places around Christmas it doesn't affect my life, but I would never travel to somewhere like Egypt or India for fear of getting ill

autumnsmum Tue 07-Jan-14 11:41:50

I'm like previous poster I can cope with travel or morning sickness for example but infectious stomach bugs terrify me

bbcessex Tue 07-Jan-14 12:52:24

Aw, I really feel for you OP. I have a friend who've I've known since I was a teenager; she has exactly this phobia and it really restricted her entire life until she had CBT.

She'd tried lots of therapy and meds over the years, but the last lot of CBT seemed to really do the trick; probably a combination of really clicking with the therapist, plus finally being in the right 'mind-set' to move on. She wouldn't/couldn't agree to try for children because of the (possible) morning sickness, and now she has two!

I haven't suffered from this phobia, but I did have a previous debilitating one... I also benefited hugely from CBT, along wit hthe focus on (eg) 'what really would be so terrible if you were sick'? 'What would actually happen'? So what? etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now