To make the same healthy meal every day for dc?

(174 Posts)

I am at the end of my tether with this. Dc are 7 and 10 and their fussiness is increasing all the time. It's bad enough that they turn their noses up at most of the food I serve (and I am not a bad cook and it's not anything outlandish just plain simple stuff) they refuse to pitch in with ideas about what meals they will eat. They just shrug angry

I am tired of the frustration I feel and also of feeling as though they think of me as a stupid martyr because I do all the work and nobody seems to appreciate it (which, let's be honest, they bloody don't!).

So, would I be unreasonable to choose one thing that they will both eat, criteria being that it's simple to prepare and healthy, and just serve it night after night? So I don't have to spend time and energy preparing two different meals, one for DH and I and one for the kids; instead I can just bung on some rice with egg and peas (carbs, protein and veg) for kids and not stress...

lougle Sat 04-Jan-14 19:16:29

rice, egg and peas isn't a greatly balanced meal, to be honest.

CoffeeTea103 Sat 04-Jan-14 19:16:54

It's really up to you? If that's what will work for you then not sure why you need anyone here to approve it.

DamnBamboo Sat 04-Jan-14 19:17:34

Yes, YABU.
Very.
Keep persevering with them, otherwise how will they ever expand their tastes.

Your second paragraph I'm afraid, is what it's like to be a mother to small kids. No doubt millions of women are in the same boat.

stargirl1701 Sat 04-Jan-14 19:17:34

Put up a menu on a Sunday with meals already decided. One night a week, your 10 year old cooks a meal for the family. One night a week, your 7 year old helps you and learns to cook a meal. Make them pull their weight, OP.

Joules68 Sat 04-Jan-14 19:18:20

Why are they so fussy? That's what you need to address

Are they snacking?

mscnile Sat 04-Jan-14 19:18:52

Give them a choice of say 20 meals and get each to choose 3-5 then make a weekly menu.

RedPencilPot Sat 04-Jan-14 19:19:21

Do they get to eat any junk foods if they don't eat the healthy foods you cook?

DamnBamboo Sat 04-Jan-14 19:19:54

And the same 'healthy' meal, does not necessarily constitute a healthy diet.
What is this healthy meal of which you speak?

PurplePidjin Sat 04-Jan-14 19:21:18

What happens if you serve up one thing then tell them to take it or fucking leave it, no toast/fruit/yoghurt/whatever till breakfast?

KingRollo Sat 04-Jan-14 19:21:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

everlong Sat 04-Jan-14 19:23:17

Tbh you've allowed this.

A 10 year old shouldn't be turning their nose up to food you've prepared.

They eat what you've made or nothing and only allow fruit to snack on.

LingDiLong Sat 04-Jan-14 19:24:39

If they really are that fussy it would be much more sensible and convenient to just make the meals you and DH want to eat. Dish them up a really small portion so not too much is wasted if they don't eat it. Freeze the leftovers.

If you can include at least one thing that they will eat - even if it's just rice or spuds or veg then great. If they're too fussy even for that then don't worry.

As a mother of 3 and a childminder to 5 more, I really struggle to find meals everyone will eat. I feel your pain! I now do rotate 5 favourite meals week after week. Weekends are mine and DH's choice.

Rice, egg and peas isn't balanced? What would you suggest as an alternative? I'm deathly serious with my suggestion that I give them a very narrow selection that's easy. OK, maybe not one thing but 2 or 3.

I've been persevering for, oh, about 9 years grin and to be frank, I'm not willing to accept that being a mother = being a stupid martyr.

Menu planning, yes we do this. ds (10) can and will cook, sometimes. Things used to be better, tbh. dd has always had a fairly narrow repertoire but ds used to be much better. Now even things they used to enjoy, they refuse.

Why are they so fussy? No fucking idea. Seriously. It's not like I haven't thought about it and tried to resolve it. I suppose I could ban all food between meals so they're really hungry. They don't snack much, tbh. A few crackers and cheese with cherry tomatoes. A satsuma.

mrscog Sat 04-Jan-14 19:27:03

At those ages I would take a like it or lump it approach - no snacks if they don't want what you've cooked (unless it's something like sardines or something with a very acquired taste). They need to learn to like a variety of foods - what will they do on dates in the future ? Or if they have business meals?

NachoAddict Sat 04-Jan-14 19:27:06

My 6 year old dd is driving me insane with her fussiness at the moment so I feel your pain.

I just serve up one meal, nothing to spicy or unusual, just simple, Plain food for example tonight was chicken and asparagus no pastry pie with roasted carrots and peas. She decided she didn't like it before she even picked up the fork.

She either eats it or not, after all I'm not going hungry, she is. If she has a has a good try of it and genuinely doesn't like it she can have some fruit or toast but if its something that she has previously eaten fine or something she hasn't even tasted then she is sent to bed until she does try it.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sat 04-Jan-14 19:27:16

My son is very fussy, under a dietician because of his diet.

He is on spatone with juice.

Just keep offering the things you want them to eat.

Are they on school dinners or packed lunch.

DamnBamboo Sat 04-Jan-14 19:27:57

No, not every day it isn't! Of course it's not.

Just make your meals, serve them up, if they don't eat it, don't make an issue of it, but offer them nothing else and say 'this is what there is, take it or leave it'

Bet it won't be long before they start eating it without problems.

Just so I'm clear, they only eat rice, egg and peas? And also now I see satsumas and cherry tomatoes and cheese?

SavoyCabbage Sat 04-Jan-14 19:28:13

If they aren't going to eat it anyway, I would just make what you want for dinner and if they don't eat it they will be hungry. I wouldn't give them access to other food at all.

It sounds like you have tried to involve them in the food planning already and they aren't interested. I would be trying to get them interested by not pandering to their fussiness.

everlong Sat 04-Jan-14 19:29:17

What will they eat?

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sat 04-Jan-14 19:29:18

One of our favourite games is get a blind fold, get a load of diffrent foods and let them try.

For this I use treats and heathy foods

stargirl1701 Sat 04-Jan-14 19:29:20

I once refused to eat dinner. I had to sit at the table looking at it until bedtime. I wasn't offered anything else. I went to bed hungry. Breakfast the next morning was my dinner from the night before. I went to school hungry.

I never refused to eat again.

DamnBamboo Sat 04-Jan-14 19:29:28

So you aren't just talking about one same meal then?

Judyandherdreamofhorses Sat 04-Jan-14 19:31:57

Join our new fussy eaters support thread in the food section. There's nobody smug there, I promise!

LingDiLong Sat 04-Jan-14 19:33:05

Stargirl, that is a terrible approach. Just because it 'worked' for you, doesn't mean it's a good idea. That is the exact approach my (otherwise great and very loving) parents took. It turned food into a MASSIVE, massive issue for my entire childhood. I can still remember that awful, sweaty feeling of being sat in front of food I genuinely didn't like and knowing I would be made to eat it. I employed all sorts of desperate tricks to hide the food. It made meal times horrendous for us all and made me fussier than I would have otherwise been.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now