To think fuck the fuck off when I see 'dry flat' on washing instructions...

(50 Posts)

Why? Just fucking why??? hmm

merryxmasyafilthyanimal Fri 03-Jan-14 22:28:24

Because hanging fucks the shape. Some fabrics look shit after you hang it from the shoulders when wet and heavy.

YABU unless you don't mind your clothes looking like crap then YANBU.

Or just don't buy it! grin

LegoCaltrops Fri 03-Jan-14 22:34:10

As far as I'm concerned, "dry flat" means "do not dry screwed up". I just hang them up really carefully, to reduce risk of stretching. Or don't buy it in the first place. I am pretty obsessive about hanging things up straight anyway though.

Hassled Fri 03-Jan-14 22:36:07

My concept of drying flat involves horizontal draipsing over the top of a radiator. I can't think what else to do. It is bloody annoying.

Trills Fri 03-Jan-14 22:38:10

Nobody does this.

If it'll look rubbish if you hang it frm the shoulders, then hang it from the hem.

ceeveebee Fri 03-Jan-14 22:40:14

I dry flat with one of these

peking Fri 03-Jan-14 22:40:17

Because the fabric might stretch when damp and hanging. But I just flip the sleeves/bottom of the garmet up and it's notbeen disastrous so far. The same with hamdwashing 'dry clean only' items that are clearly able to stand up to a bit of water!

hassled this is what I do!

Pretty hard to read the care instructions when buying online usually-just saying...

Ifancyashandy Fri 03-Jan-14 22:41:14

I always do this! Lie it flat on a towel on the spare bed.

Why is this tricky confused

SpikeyTree Fri 03-Jan-14 22:42:04

Get a lakeland heated airer, dead easy to lie things flat.

Hand wash items just get lobbed in machine on a delicate cycle grin

Errr because I don't have a spare bed or a spare room...? hmm

Joysmum Fri 03-Jan-14 22:46:45

I just hang over a radiator or on a hanger so I don't get peg stretch issues. Never failed me yet

MammaTJ Fri 03-Jan-14 22:48:01

I have a wash inside out jumper! WTF is that about?

MooncupGoddess Fri 03-Jan-14 22:49:46

I dry flat across a chair. Prevents sagging, I thought?

This is the first time I have ever been more domestically conscientious than the average MNer! Usually I'm at the indolent slattern end of the spectrum.

Pmsl, yeah the wash inside out thing seems to be as standard-do they just make this shit up?

Lora1982 Fri 03-Jan-14 22:50:43

Folded in half and shuved on a radiator. Handwash only stuff gets done on a wool cycle with the three bits of wool I own that apparently shoouldnt be washed in the machine. I get all these 'special' items with allowance from work though so I dont feel too guilty treating them badly

BiscuitsAreMyDownfall Fri 03-Jan-14 22:50:54

I didn't even know that there was instructions to 'dry flat'. I only read the instructions if I'm not sure if it can go in the dryer which is very rare.

RoseRedder Fri 03-Jan-14 22:51:47

Is it wrong to never read the washing label?

In washing machine, out washing machine , put on dryer thing.....bish bash bosh , done

I have only ever shrunk or ruined 2 things on a first wash.

Sometimes I think if you read the label it gives the garment permission to misbehave if you know the instructions and don't follow them

elQuintoConyo Fri 03-Jan-14 22:52:43

Spare bit of floor and a large towel?
I have also got a weird thing from a foreign land: rectangular, like the top of a clothes horse, but gridded, it lies across the bath. Towel across (or not) and it dries during the day. You can move it to use the bath then put it back. Most handy.

Or use a clothes horse in the garden on a sunny day?

I always ignore it though as I have nowhere to fucking dry flat & I've yet to have an item look like shit because I haven't followed the shit instructions...

JuneauWhoIAm Fri 03-Jan-14 22:54:37

I dry it across the top of a clothes horse.its flat but airs at the same time.
How does it dry properly on a chair or a bed?
Does it not take too long?

cate16 Fri 03-Jan-14 22:55:15

Wash inside out is a good one though, helps stop piling when they rub with different textures etc inside machine.

NoComet Fri 03-Jan-14 22:58:07

I wash everything inside out, slows down sweatshirts and jumpers pilling, keeps zips and buttons from snaking other things.

Dry flat, means dry on a wide shouldered blokes suit hanger and dry clean/handbags only means wool wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now