To think I can improve my bmi whilst pregnant?

(30 Posts)
mameulah Fri 03-Jan-14 20:05:45

And if you have improved your general fitness and figure whilst pregnant then can you please motivate me by telling me how?

This is my third pregnancy so obviously I know that, all going well, I am going to get huge. But I also figure that if I exercise and eat well then my overweight bits might decrease a bit? Perhaps?

I was obese when pg with DS2 and I just focused on eating healthily. I also suffered from chronic heartburn later on so I couldn't face eating much. I put on just over a stone in total and was back to my prepregnancy weight within a week of giving birth and down a bit more in the next few weeks.

Sceptimum Fri 03-Jan-14 23:35:16

I got gestational diabetes so I had to really watch my food (not so much calorie counting as eating no sugars/carby rubbish and spreading it very carefully over 5 small meals a day) and had to go for a brisk walk immediately after each meal to help with my sugar levels. I gained a faiy small amount of weight and was below my prepregnancy weight by 2 weeks after the birth.

Actually I think the main benefit of all that walking was I stayed really mobile and comfy all the way through and - although this might not be connected - had a very easy and fast recovery. I had to have a c section and was pretty nervous but felt fine after - checked myself out of hospital after 2 days and felt pretty much normal after 10 or so.

Runswithsquirrels Sat 04-Jan-14 10:43:58

I ate really healthily when preg as I wanted baby to be fed well! I was overweight but didn't put much weight on for ages and it was all bump. I put on about twenty pounds in the end. After birth I was a stone lighter and within two weeks breast feeding had got rid if the rest. I didn't improve my bmi but I stopped it getting worse and now I can concentrate on getting rid of the rest that I had pre preg!
Btw I did continue with exercise but very gently and stopped completely at 28 weeks because I was tired by then. I did work up to forty weeks tho so that kept me moving.
Be sensible and healthy!

FourArms Sat 04-Jan-14 12:48:38

I followed SW when pg with DS1 and continued to lose weight until I started being hospitalised frequently for pre-eclampsia (hospital food did not help!).

With BFing I was back to pre-pg weight (healthy BMI) quite quickly. Same with DS2.

Follow SW - it's approved for pg women smile

MorganLeFey Sat 04-Jan-14 14:40:02

I found it quite tough... had slimmed down to healthy BMI pre TTC. For the first 16 weeks or so weight stayed exactly the same - although meat/vegetables made me feel really nauseated I was mostly eating carbs but having at least 1 (usually 3 bouts of multiple vomits a day).

Then once the vomitting stopped the weight started creeping up & total gain by the time I gave birth (at 37/40!) was about (stopped weighing myself!) 60lbs/just over 4 stone. I didn't want to feel like I was 'dieting' but probably became less active, especially as I seemed really quite swollen - cankles, bilateral carpal tunnel & high levels of amniotic fluid.
Sort of fitting with this within days of having a 7lb baby I'd dropped 40lb total!

So just having 20lb/1.5stone less wouldn't have been too bad... but then managed to gain another stone - doh. Which I think was mostly due to reduced activity (sitting on sofa trying to BF sleepy newborn & being apprehensive about going out as too much screaming) & comfort food one handed as I was ravenous! Very envious of my SIL who needs to gorge on chocolate while BF-ing or she 'loses too much weight'! Since baby has started weaning/settled on a combi feeding ratio I've started dieting again.

Now thoughts are turning to TTC #2 (& possibility of a 5 week longer gestation being possible!) thoughts are:

- Get to well within healthy BMI before TTC - dieting easier without worrying about foetus.

- Weigh self regularly & try not to start carb overloading even if vomitting - not sure how to manage this one.

- Weigh weekly once vomitting stops to keep self in check. If I seem to be fluid retaining again then probably 'allow' about a 40lb gain max.

- With newborn try to be active (toddler might help with that) & think the supposed -500 calories/day BF uses up does not apply to me & so try to keep eating in check!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now