to give frozen girl my scarf

(91 Posts)
GlitzAndGiggles Fri 03-Jan-14 19:23:20

I was sat at a bus stop when a lady came with 2 young children. The one in the pushchair was screaming for about 15 mins and she was in a thin coat with no hat, scarf or gloves. Whenever she told her mum she was cold she was told to shut up. The older girl - probably around 7 or 8 was shivering away too also in a summery type coat. Anyway after 15 mins of the crying it clicked in my head to give the one in the pushchair my scarf so I took it off and asked the mum if she wanted it for her daughter and she kissed her teeth and took it then walked off confused. I wasn't trying to make her feel bad but it was horrible seeing these girls like that. Should I have just stayed out of it?

GlitzAndGiggles Fri 03-Jan-14 22:47:37

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LondonNinja Fri 03-Jan-14 22:48:07

Blimey, I do hope not, mrs Why do you say that? What does it matter?

RandyRudolf Fri 03-Jan-14 22:48:15

i think the teeth-kissing reference was a way of implying the mother was black without actually saying the mother was black

hmm

merryxmasyafilthyanimal Fri 03-Jan-14 22:48:35

Is the teeth kissing thing exclusive to black people? Weird because I've seen white people do it too.

Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jan-14 22:49:09

I have no idea what teeth kissing is.

Is it the same as tutting?

steff13 Fri 03-Jan-14 22:49:41

^i think the teeth-kissing reference was a way of implying the mother was black without actually saying the mother was black.
lovely.^

I thought it mean she sucked her teeth, as a previous poster said. Why would this imply she was black (I'm not being facetious, I truly don't know).

merryxmasyafilthyanimal Fri 03-Jan-14 22:50:29

You might have to Google it salmo - can't really describe it!

RandyRudolf Fri 03-Jan-14 22:50:59

Great, so first the OP is accused of seeking validation and now she's racist. Only on mumsnet hmm

GlitzAndGiggles Fri 03-Jan-14 22:51:17

Teeth sucking/kissing same thing. Its just plain rude and the mum was in a knitted cardigan

ArtexTheHallWithBoughsOfMonkey Fri 03-Jan-14 22:51:59

I agree with worra today actually although I did call her a serial chip pisser the other week.

But today she is right.

Aibu to donate a kidney to an orphan?

GlitzAndGiggles Fri 03-Jan-14 22:52:16

If I had written "she kissed her teeth because she's black" I'd get slaughtered. But no she wasn't black she was olive toned

BrianTheMole Fri 03-Jan-14 22:52:23

i think the teeth-kissing reference was a way of implying the mother was black without actually saying the mother was black.

Huh? Why?

FrankAndFurt Fri 03-Jan-14 22:53:37

Worra says it perfectly.

GlitzAndGiggles Fri 03-Jan-14 22:53:38

Salmo it's like a lengthened tut kind of thing. Just youtube it I'm sure some sad acts done a demo lol

Nice thing to do.

Cheesyslice Fri 03-Jan-14 22:54:09

FFS. What rudolph said.

OP, you did a nice thing. Well done.

Had I done the same and received the same reaction form the mother (regardless of race hmm ) I would have wondered if I was BU to have done what I did.

So...YWNBU. And YANBU to post an AIBU. grin

GlitzAndGiggles Fri 03-Jan-14 22:55:34

Thankyou Cheesy. I thought she might have took offence but I'm confused why she walked off

hmc Fri 03-Jan-14 22:57:48
LedareAnsley Fri 03-Jan-14 23:00:00

This afternoon I was parked up with DS waiting for DH to do boring things at an electrical parts place and there was a bus stop opposite.

The smartly-dressed woman waiting there was shouting out loud and making gestures. She danced behind every pedestrian who passed her. I locked the care doors and reported a vulnerable person. I do this at least five times a year where I live.

Salmotrutta Fri 03-Jan-14 23:01:06

Ok.

I googled.

It is indeed like an elongated "tut" with almost a "chirrup" in there too?

LedareAnsley Fri 03-Jan-14 23:01:09

Car

The last memorable person was out in the snow from morning until night creeping around in a t-shirt and shorts.

RandyRudolf Fri 03-Jan-14 23:02:16

Ok, officially declaring this a freaky thread hmm

hmc Fri 03-Jan-14 23:02:46

I don't think the OP was looking for validation and approval (why judge people by your own failings) - clearly OP was bemused by reaction of the mother and canvassing views

LedareAnsley Fri 03-Jan-14 23:03:34

yy hmc.

cerealqueen Fri 03-Jan-14 23:04:15

Was it a long woolly type or the mumsnet scarf?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now