to give frozen girl my scarf

(91 Posts)
GlitzAndGiggles Fri 03-Jan-14 19:23:20

I was sat at a bus stop when a lady came with 2 young children. The one in the pushchair was screaming for about 15 mins and she was in a thin coat with no hat, scarf or gloves. Whenever she told her mum she was cold she was told to shut up. The older girl - probably around 7 or 8 was shivering away too also in a summery type coat. Anyway after 15 mins of the crying it clicked in my head to give the one in the pushchair my scarf so I took it off and asked the mum if she wanted it for her daughter and she kissed her teeth and took it then walked off confused. I wasn't trying to make her feel bad but it was horrible seeing these girls like that. Should I have just stayed out of it?

RandyRudolf Fri 03-Jan-14 19:26:22

That was really thoughtful of you. I imagine the mother's reaction was one of embarrassment or worst case of being ungrateful.

LouiseSmith Fri 03-Jan-14 21:44:15

That's was a lovely thing to do, maybe the girl was embarrassed. But it's nice to know that people care xx

ImperialBlether Fri 03-Jan-14 22:11:55

Lovely thing to do, but I bet the woman is wearing it herself now.

steff13 Fri 03-Jan-14 22:15:23

It was a nice gesture. Was the mom dressed appropriately for the weather?

MammaTJ Fri 03-Jan-14 22:16:32

Was the mum as inaproprately dressed as the children? If so, then she had no clue it was as cold as it was, if not YANBU, she needed the subtle lesson anyway!

WorraLiberty Fri 03-Jan-14 22:16:35

Oh dear god

Really? OP

You 'genuinely' want to know if you were unreasonable?

MammaTJ Fri 03-Jan-14 22:24:26

Worra, I think you are a lovely person, but your posts of late have been a little too snippy. It may be time to step away from the keyboard (if only for a littlewhile).

paynoattentiontothecat Fri 03-Jan-14 22:27:20

I do agree with Worra, though.

There seem to be SO many 'wibu to put a Jo Malone bath set into the food bank' (obviously facetious!) posts and they are buttock-clenchingly embarrassing to read in wanting validation and approval.

Do a nice thing, feel good about it, post about it by all means but don't dress it up as 'I was worried about ...'

WorraLiberty Fri 03-Jan-14 22:28:06

Thanks Mamma but I'm just fine where I am grin

This is not an AIBU post imo

It's just a 'Please pat me on the back post'

They get on my nerves and I'm quite entitled to point that out, I think wink

TheOriginalSteamingNit Fri 03-Jan-14 22:29:48

Yeah, worra can be harsh, but I do agree with her on this and similar threads.

Only1scoop Fri 03-Jan-14 22:30:09

Jo Malone set grin

WooWooOwl Fri 03-Jan-14 22:30:11

How do you kiss your teeth?

WorraLiberty Fri 03-Jan-14 22:33:52

On less 'harsh' note blush

There's absolutely nothing wrong with starting a thread saying something like "I did a really nice thing today and it made me feel good".

Doing nice things for others does make us feel good and there's nothing wrong with wanting to share that.

Just no need for the disguised AIBU

honestpointofview Fri 03-Jan-14 22:35:58

Glitz that was very sweet of you. Not sure why though you have posted in AIBU. I am forced to agree with Worra and Paynoattention and Paynoattention puts it very well re do a nice thing but don't dress it up.

Heartbrokenmum73 Fri 03-Jan-14 22:37:29

I think by kiss your teeth, she means suck your teeth.

And I agree with the wanting validation. And there are a lot of these about lately.

MammaTJ Fri 03-Jan-14 22:38:44

Worra point well made and well taken! grin

TheOriginalSteamingNit Fri 03-Jan-14 22:39:19

Well when I say harsh I mean pulling no punches or something... And that can be a bit acerbic but here I think it is quite in order. The thread title so obviously cries out for a billion replies saying 'not unreasonable at all, you sound lovely Op', which is just rather bogus.

LedareAnsley Fri 03-Jan-14 22:41:19

Given the reaction I don't see why it isn't an AIBU.

It isn't as if OP posted that a nice thank you was given and everyone went on their merry way, although the teeth kissing did confuse me for a bit.

PrincessFlirtyPants Fri 03-Jan-14 22:42:34

Agree with Worra these kind of threads are wearing a bit thin.

Fantastic you have done a good deed. No of course YWBU hmm

LedareAnsley Fri 03-Jan-14 22:43:19

The lady walked away from the bus stop. I'd have been a bit confused if that had happened to me.

mrsWast Fri 03-Jan-14 22:44:00

i think the teeth-kissing reference was a way of implying the mother was black without actually saying the mother was black.

lovely.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Fri 03-Jan-14 22:45:13

'AIBU to be annoyed that mother didn't thank me for my scarf' would have been more honest, I think!

LondonNinja Fri 03-Jan-14 22:46:12

This is about the woman teeth-kissing, though, surely? It's bloody obvious it was a nice thing to do but I'm guessing the OP was a bit befuddled by the teeth-kiss (it is aggressive).

LedareAnsley Fri 03-Jan-14 22:46:46

Or even, "AIBU to wonder why a woman waiting with two DC at a bus stop walked off after I had given a scarf"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now