Can't believe what I am reading...

(359 Posts)
SmileItsANewYear Fri 03-Jan-14 18:16:08

Some people think that it's ok to give a child alcohol (as long as over the age of 5)

What the actual fuck?

MarmaladeBatkins Fri 03-Jan-14 18:22:56

I gave DS a tiny sip of champagne at a wedding this year. He is 6.

He has survived. He quite liked it.

Joules68 Fri 03-Jan-14 18:23:43

Oh op get over yourself!

If it's a taat then it's poor form!

kelda Fri 03-Jan-14 18:23:59

I don't particularly care if a child has a sip of wine, as long as they are not being plied with pints etc...

But grin at 'they do it in France' - do we really care that much about what they do in France?

DownstairsMixUp Fri 03-Jan-14 18:24:11

Depends though? Like teens i think ok for the odd glass of bucks fizz/wine at xmas or at weddings etc though at the same time i wouldn't be buying them a whole bottle to have... someone i know when their 14 year old had their girlfriend over for the night would buy them a WHOLE bottle of peach snapps for them to take upstairs hmm obviously that i would disagree with!

OP, many adults were given a sip of alcohol as children. I certainly was. It didn't kill us or turn us into raging alcoholics. It might not be your ideal of good parenting but people do it. Did it really need a whole new thread?

RandyRudolf Fri 03-Jan-14 18:24:43

I grew up having secret swigs of my parents drinks. I remember quite liking cider. Mum would let me have a sip of anything at Christmas but a sip it always was.

HaroldTheGoat Fri 03-Jan-14 18:24:44

TAAT isn't it?

Joules68 Fri 03-Jan-14 18:25:22

kelda this forum isn't just for people in the uk, you do know that don't you? Plenty of MNers from other countries and cultures post here...

My parents tried to get me to drink wine mixed with water as a child. However, we lived abroad, where children were raised to drink watered down wine with a meal from a young age. Didn't do me any harm - hate wine every bit as much now as I did then! grin

neiljames77 Fri 03-Jan-14 18:27:39

http://www.semblance.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/opium2.jpg

It used to be worse!!!! 46% alcohol + opium!!

TAAT

DuchessofKirkcaldy Fri 03-Jan-14 18:29:14

My dn (6)had a shandy at new year. 1 finger width of lager in a glass of lemonade. Bil believes that by making it normal and open he won't become a binge drinker and hide it from family.
My siblings and I were also allowed small amounts as children. Weak shandy at Grandmas with Sunday dinner or wine and lemonade(again weak) at special occasions....to be honest we all prefered shloer given a choice. Db still has this instead of wine with meals.

It's the other thread about an onlooker questioning the care of a child in m+s and her mum wanting a badge from mn.

RhondaJean Fri 03-Jan-14 18:30:12

I've always given my children a snowball at Christmas, in a tall glass made up with lemonade.

I'd rather they didn't view alcohol as something special and mysterious, because that's much more likely to make them have a difficult problem with it.

Even my mother who doesn't drink anymore and can be a bit of an arse about other people used to give me a brandy as a child when I had a shock or SN occasional hot toddy when I was ill. I don't understand the pearl clutching shrieking about very small very monitored amounts of alcohol given to children on an irregular basis.

RandyRudolf Fri 03-Jan-14 18:30:53

TAAT ???

Spaulding Fri 03-Jan-14 18:31:27

Ooh it's a TAAT.

Well, I was allowed a glass of wine with my Christmas dinner when I was a child. I survived. I didn't turn out to be a raging alcoholic. I actually don't like wine much. And my parents are great. And awesome GP too.

Nojustalurker Fri 03-Jan-14 18:32:01

What does TAAT mean?

Spaulding Fri 03-Jan-14 18:33:36

Thread About A Thread.

Thread About A Thread = TAAT

GinSoakedMisery Fri 03-Jan-14 18:35:02

Que?

Either tell us the full story or link to the thread.

loveolives Fri 03-Jan-14 18:35:27

My 3 year old had a sip of wine at Xmas grin

I wouldn't waste alcohol on children ;)

SugarHut Fri 03-Jan-14 18:36:33

DS 5 had a white wine spritzer accompanying his Christmas Day starter. About half an inch of white wine, with the rest of the glass topped up with lemonade and water. For his main, he had the same with red. And funnily enough, he is alive and refrained from staggering around slurring "I fucking love you Nanny...no, really.... I fuckkiiiiing looooooove you all." He wasn't sick. He didn't fall asleep and start snoring. In fact, he was brilliantly behaved. And we'll do the same at most family occasions. He is introduced to alcohol as part of a meal. So in his teens it is not some guilty pleasure, forbidden up until now, that he is desperate to gulp down with his friends.

Spaulding Fri 03-Jan-14 18:36:35

Right loveolives, I'm ringing SS! grin

HeadfirstThroughTheTimeVortex Fri 03-Jan-14 18:38:41

My dc's (11, 10, 8 and 6) all had a small amount of fizz in a glass on Xmas day and new years day. They still have a pulse and none are raging alcoholics.

As for Baileys, it's not alcohol, it's pudding wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now