Can't believe what I am reading...

(359 Posts)
SmileItsANewYear Fri 03-Jan-14 18:16:08

Some people think that it's ok to give a child alcohol (as long as over the age of 5)

What the actual fuck?

2Tinsellytocare Sun 05-Jan-14 14:41:57

Ooops! I see now your DS is 4 and a half blush i did think 7 months was a bit young!

Geckos48 Sun 05-Jan-14 15:03:49

I wouldnt know how a 7month old would react to alcohol but I can tell you that my 1 year old adored the sip of his dads cider that he got before we ripped it out of his hands! Yes DH was told off for that one!

crunchyfrog Sun 05-Jan-14 15:08:27

We were given alcohol in small amounts as children. All 5 of us have very high tolerance and history of binging. But - on both sides, there are 3 generations of alcoholics. Both parents drank every day, DF a lot (couple of gins, lager then whiskey.)
I'm not an alcoholic, but I do have to keep an eye on it! I think it is nature rather than nurture - we all smoked as well, despite our parents hating it.
My kids are 10, 8 and 5, none have shown any interest yet. They're all after the diet coke I mix my drink.with though!
If any asked, I would let them have something, e.g a sherry or a shandy.

Geckos48 Sun 05-Jan-14 15:12:01

I think the alcoholic thing is more about growing up watching your parents drink a lot rather than having the odd sip of booze

MakingEveryDayCount Sun 05-Jan-14 15:38:13

I didn't say anything about 'Groundhog Day' MakeEveryDayCount.

No, I never said YOU did, , but somebody else did (sorry, can't find the post now!)
Said something like "do you want a wall to bang your head against, LtEve, as it's like Groundhog Day!"
I was merely pointing out that it's not Groundhog Day if it's a lot of people saying the same thing, they're entitled to their opinions and are not forced to have seen every single post as it's 15 pages long

Rufustherednosedreindeer Sun 05-Jan-14 16:07:35

making

It was me that said Groundhog Day to lteve referring only to the fact that she had said numerous time WHY she did what it did!!!

It had nothing to do with anyone disagreeing with her, just that they kept asking the same bloody question when she had already answered it many times

To repeat the ground hog day comment was fuckall to do with everyone disagreeing it was about her repeating herself....repeatedly!!!!!

Rufustherednosedreindeer Sun 05-Jan-14 16:10:57

And I replied to your post explaining that earlier

Joysmum Sun 05-Jan-14 16:14:25

I read the first page and skipped the rest.

My mum and dad made their own beer and wine and I was always allowed some. When I got to senior school, my mates saw alcohol as a way to show how grown up they were and to rebel. They got pissed up on cheap booze on street corners and the park and school discos. I thought they were pathetic! Alcohol had no mysteries and no draw got me.

My daughter is also allowed to drink if she wants to. On the continent kids drink too. I suspect the UK's binge drinking culture is due to prudes who see it as to be avoided at all costs rather than part of life to be enjoyed in moderation.

cory Sun 05-Jan-14 17:51:00

Heartbrokenmum73 Sat 04-Jan-14 13:16:15
"I was always under the impression that they didn't actually give small children any wine, but maybe it varies from church to church. My ex is a Catholic and at services I've been to with him children weren't given any wine. I'm an atheist so have only been to church on a few occasions, so don't know the ins and outs of it, tbh."

Traditional practice has been that in Catholic churches it is normally the celebrating priest who communicates with both bread and wine, while the congregation usually just gets the bread.

In Protestant churches the tendency has been for both priest and congregation to partake of both parts. And this would include any child who has been confirmed, so probably from age 11-13 in many churches (Catholic children tend to be confirmed younger). So the dividing line is not one by age as such but by denomination and whether you have been confirmed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now