To think the people who went out just to take pictures of the storms and high tides were being irresponsible?

(61 Posts)
Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 03-Jan-14 18:09:20

So there was a weather warning, and advice from the emergency services not to go and gawp at it. So what is on the news? People out taking photos, going for walks along the front etc. Why? Are they stupid?

pigsDOfly Sun 05-Jan-14 00:11:53

Yes Pixel the teenager boy wasn't actually in my area but apparently was moved on by the coastguard in my area for doing exactly what you say, he was playing around on a groyne. He was moved on and apparently went further along the coast and that's when he was washed out to sea.

The other one, just after Christmas was in my area. A young woman out with friends for the evening walk to the water's edge during a heavy storm and was just swept away by a huge wave.

Soon after the boy was killed, I had to be near the beach and saw that a barrier, put up because that stretch of beach was too dangerous to go on during stormy weather, had been broken through by someone and people were still climbing all over the groynes.

I think some people just will not be told.

Pixel Sat 04-Jan-14 23:27:26

pigsDOfly I think you might live near me as there was a teenager swept out to sea here before Christmas like you said. Thing is, although I feel so sorry for his family and the friends who witnessed it (especially as he was same name and age as my ds) I can't help thinking it could have been avoided. If it's the same boy they showed a facebook photo of him taken the week before doing the same thing, standing out on a groyne with the spray coming over (it was apparently a thing he did often), so people knew what he was doing but didn't think to stop him going out in the middle of a raging storm?

Awks Sat 04-Jan-14 22:01:24

We live by the sea and year on year say this. Families have died wave dodging here and still they never learn. Absolute idiots - they have no idea of the power of the sea. Just before Christmas the sea was so strong it ripped the doors off the beach huts, threw cars accross the drive and pulled benches from the pavement. And they think their toddler will be safe in their arms.

notthefirstagainstthewall Sat 04-Jan-14 21:58:17

Because the weather/nature is amazing and people want to see it first hand?
Stupid or human.

Obviously sat inside, watching the weather news on TV makes you less stupid.

spookyskeleton Sat 04-Jan-14 21:57:49

I agree! One of my friends posted a photo on FB of her 2 young kids stood in front of the sea at a resort on the west coast on Thursday when the warnings were in place shock

I have grown up by the sea & yes I took my DD's to see the waves. From a very safe spot, they asked why we were so far back & I taught them (I hope) to respect the sea. The only one of our family who has got soaked by a wave over the last few days was DH, he grew up in Derbyshire & ignored my warnings about the sea.

It is so hard to explain to people who live inland but if you know a coast & sea well you know where you can stand to be safe.

YANBU. I live just outside Aberystwyth and going to look at the waves and storm damage has become a local hobby this weekend. FB newsfeed full of pictures of their DC posing in front of waves and rubble.

I can understand that this is an incredible event that we (hopefully) won't see again, but I wouldn't dream of putting myself of my DC anywhere near it.

There have been warnings in the media from the police and council about keeping a safe distance. Why do people think they know better?

HesterShaw Sat 04-Jan-14 21:44:50

YABU to tar everyone with the same brush. Not everyone who goes near the sea in big wave conditions to see the spectacle is risking their life, or putting the emergency services at risk. I went out with my camera and got some amazing pictures of big waves, but I live by the sea and know where to stand and where not to stand.

However that family with the small children- what were they thinking? And those people who go in for a drunken dip cause nothing but worry and frustration for everyone else.

It's a bit ignorant to brand everyone as selfish and irresponsible though.

meditrina Sat 04-Jan-14 21:37:03

The search for the missing teenager has been called off so that's not looking good, though it may resume tomorrow.

I think it's a seriously bad idea to take children along. For it tells them that it's OK, and them when they are a bit bigger they might think again that it's OK and do something awful because they do not understand how dangerous it is.

Lilacroses Sat 04-Jan-14 21:23:41

I agree, I was cringeing looking at the pics on the news. The people with the young children in particular....bloody idiotic.

Moln Sat 04-Jan-14 20:31:17

What could he be charged with (the fool student in Aberystwyth that is)?

Stupidity isn't a crime, not sure endangering yourself and/or lifeboat men is either. Propably could do with being so though.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 04-Jan-14 19:47:28

I do feel sorry for that boy and his family though.

Rooners Sat 04-Jan-14 13:57:01

I think it is probably possible to look from a safe distance in some places yes.

It's about common sense really.

I would go and look from a while away but never, ever get down close to the big waves or get into a situation where we could be at risk.

Or in the way of/against advice from emergency services. They have enough to do.

specialsubject Sat 04-Jan-14 13:50:56

a teenager has disappeared after being last seen with his camera. A life wasted and a family devastated.

the Aberystwyth RNLI have just fished out an idiot who set up his camera on the end of the jetty. Hope they charge him.

pigsDOfly Sat 04-Jan-14 13:48:52

Those pictures are terrifying Agentzigzag.. Stupid, stupid man to risk his child's life.

I could hear the sea from my garden last night (dog needed a pee in the early hours) and as amazing as it sounded there's no way I would be tempted to go and gawp at it when it's that wild.

A young boy was swept out to sea further along the coast in the storms we had at the end of the year and another one in my town around Christmas. What does it take for people to learn? And then, as others have said, the poor bloody lifeboat crews have to risk their lives out in the raging storms to look for them.

Mignonette Sat 04-Jan-14 13:31:10

Well even Caitlin Moran was blathering on about wandering up mountains in the Lake Distrct in inappropriate dress last month and ending up lost. A local walker led them to safety.

My BIL was a Lifeboatman.

I took some! I have a long lens camera though and I kept my distance. Beautiful pictures of waves crashing.

daisychain01 Sat 04-Jan-14 12:50:10

Be that as it may, Disgrace, yes I am sure they need those real world situations for training, however I still find people extraordinarily irresponsible and dont think beyond the moment when they dress inappropriately and fail to respect the elements. Lack of risk assessment, I call it - Tevas may be fine in above zero leisure conditions, but weather conditions can change at a stroke, such that one minute you are fine, then next a thick fog descends or you lose your way and then it becomes a crisis,

Mountain and coastal rescue in the UK is a mark of a civilised society fine, in an ideal world that is true but its like A & E at New Year, where people abuse the privilege and the services have to pick up the pieces.

An unpopular opinion on MN, maybe but a realistic one all the same. Somehow these services have to be funded - we support RNLI each year, as my DP and I have 25 years of experience in all sorts of outdoor pursuits including water pursuits (to depths of 100m) and appreciate the amazing service they do to help people in genuine need. I am sure the shorts and Teva brigade are in the minority, but its just the principle I was discussing here, along the same theme as ohwhats OP about people being irresponsible and not thinking more carefully before they do crazy things. They arent 'bomb-proof' but act like they are!!

Weelady77 Sat 04-Jan-14 11:19:56

Agentzigzag, omg that's crazy the pics of the dad and his child!! Some people are just plain bonkers do they not realise the dangers

ChristmasCareeristBitchNigel Sat 04-Jan-14 08:47:58

With kids yes...without, it's up to them

Their actions may well end up putting the lives of coastguard/lifeboat/search and rescue crews at risk, not to mention massive cost of rescue operations.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 04-Jan-14 08:24:03

daisychain01 hmm

Er...no. The reason is that MOD regard ASR as training. The very best training too: random intervals, all weathers, organic multiagency cooperation (a fall on Holyhead involves MR, Coastguard, RNLI and the RSPB).

Inappropriate kit can be a problem, but it's less than you might think. Look at the logs for the various MROs.And Tevas are perfectly acceptable for temperatures down to 5° just so long as you keep moving.

Mountain and coastal rescue in the UK is a mark of a civilised society.

Damnautocorrect Sat 04-Jan-14 08:18:13

I'd want to go and see but I wouldn't be planning on getting close enough to be a problem.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 04-Jan-14 08:17:39

My point was, if you are at a safe distance, fine. It was the ones going in the way of the waves who were monumentally stupid for risking themselves and others
Agree with Daisy, I live in an area where mountain rescue and air ambulance are essential and are not part of the emergency services, yet you get idiots thinking that they are immune from nature.

LtEveDallas Sat 04-Jan-14 08:04:26

Bloody Hell Agent, that's a terrifying photo. How easily could that have been a tragedy.

daisychain01 Sat 04-Jan-14 07:58:25

Definite contenders for the Darwin Awards.

I have long-since subcribed to the view that AirSea Rescue should be a pay-for service. People who climb up Ben Nevis, or even up Brecon Beacons in shorts and a pair of Tevas (sports sandals) are utter gits and should pay for the rescue service (after-the-fact of course)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now