To think the people who went out just to take pictures of the storms and high tides were being irresponsible?

(61 Posts)
Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 03-Jan-14 18:09:20

So there was a weather warning, and advice from the emergency services not to go and gawp at it. So what is on the news? People out taking photos, going for walks along the front etc. Why? Are they stupid?

elvesavleftdabildin Fri 03-Jan-14 18:10:49

Yes.

TaraLott Fri 03-Jan-14 18:13:44

With their small children too, they should be prosecuted for putting their DC into danger.

fuckitall Fri 03-Jan-14 18:15:15

I call it natural selection

pictish Fri 03-Jan-14 18:15:20

With kids yes...without, it's up to them.
I'd want a shot at taking photos. I can see why people are driven to do it.

SantasPelvicFloor Fri 03-Jan-14 18:16:41

Watching a father and ? 4 yr old run along a breakwater/harbour wall which was then engulfed in a huge wave followed by a baby in pram being wheeled through a flood close to breaking waves...leads me to say YANBU

SantasPelvicFloor Fri 03-Jan-14 18:17:25

Even without children they might cause rescue services to put their own lives at risk

NorthernLebkuchen Fri 03-Jan-14 18:17:34

Yes they are stupid. Very stupid.

FamiliesShareGerms Fri 03-Jan-14 18:18:52

Everytime I hear about a life boat having to put out to look for some eejit who decided that the warnings not to stand and look and the waves didn't apply to him I get irrationally cross on behalf of the crew and their families.

sunbathe Fri 03-Jan-14 18:21:32

I think it must be possible to take photos/observe, without endangering yourself. At least in some places.

notanotherusername1 Fri 03-Jan-14 18:41:47

It's amazing to think after all the warnings and the tragic endings we are always reading about that people still do it. There is (IMO) something quite magical about watching waves crash in but not in storms and with children. Far to many idiots who think it will never happen to them or they can outsmart the sea.

puffinnuffin Fri 03-Jan-14 18:49:56

The news reporters look like they are too close too. Last night on our local news they were giving warnings not to go anywhere near the beach. The reporter saying this was standing right in front of crashing waves in stormy weather.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 03-Jan-14 18:55:26

Much like the Darwin winners who go up mountains without proper equipment, out to sea the same. Puts not only their own lives at risk, but as has been pointed out, emergency services (some unpaid) at risk.

I think these idiots deserve what they get if they ignore warnings. I quite clearly heard the weather forecaster on at 6:45 saying "don't go out to have a look as the waves will be really high and dangerous". The warnings were there, and still those twats went to look.

LetZygonsbeZygons Fri 03-Jan-14 19:09:33

thing is the news channels -sky news/BBC etc are asking people for their pictures and videos of the storms and you know some people will do anything to get themselves/their names on tv. twats.

snowed Fri 03-Jan-14 19:15:14

I found it odd that the TV weather reporter I saw was so jovial and laid back when announcing the dangerous conditions. It was the tone of voice and demeanour that you'd use for something bland and unimportant, although he was actually giving a safety warning!

BohemianGirl Fri 03-Jan-14 19:29:54

I just think "Darwin had a point" but shame it so often ends in the deaths of the rescue services.

Weelady77 Fri 03-Jan-14 19:47:47

I thought the exact same watching the news!!

LetZygonsbeZygons Fri 03-Jan-14 20:05:59

ffs, they say not to go out and the bloody news reporters standing right by sea fronts! talk about contradiction!

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 03-Jan-14 20:15:16

I wonder if these "idiots" are in B and Bs and have no where else to be.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 03-Jan-14 20:24:10

don't get your implication there boney. The people who were interviewed said they had come out to see the storm. All smiley and such. And why would you think "oh I have to be out all day, I know, I'll go get soaked"

Terrortree Fri 03-Jan-14 20:35:29

I'll confess I did.

No children or animals were taken though...

There was tons of people there. As were the police and the local council, who were not shepherding us away. Clearly we are all stupid idiot twats!

'Twas beautiful though.

Maybe, people being people, there should be more physical barriers put in place.

People underestimate what nature can do and treating adverse and dangerous weather conditions as 'Ooooh! Biiig Waves!' by the news stations needs to stop.

Bowlersarm Fri 03-Jan-14 20:42:23

Yes stupid. They could be taking precious manpower from the emergency services if they got themselves in trouble.

lljkk Fri 03-Jan-14 20:43:46

had loads of this last month in Norfolk. Some spectacular pictures and no harm done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now