To cook sausages that said use by 30th December

(32 Posts)
youaremychocolatecake Fri 03-Jan-14 10:16:03

And feed them to my partner?

They smell ok.

He would have a fit if he knew blush

I would use them, they're only a few days out.

WaffilyVersatile Fri 03-Jan-14 10:32:14

I am not sure. If it was a slab of meat I would have said use your judgement ( if it looks smells and feels ok then all is well), however with sausages you do have more preservatives but the risk of germs I would say is higher because of the surface area (ie the meats not all in one bit so has been more exposed)

If that made sense to you then yay, if not then I am sure someone else can translate (sorry am not very well and my brain is really not awake)

Rooners Fri 03-Jan-14 10:34:03

I wouldn't but I am sunny about that sort of thing - also I tend to be more reckless with stuff that isn't meat.

If it's meat I don't take the risk usually.

If he would be upset by knowing, I think you have your conscience to answer to on that.

drbonnieblossman Fri 03-Jan-14 10:34:08

depends. how much do you like your partner?

Rooners Fri 03-Jan-14 10:34:14

funny,

sorry

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 03-Jan-14 10:36:06

I would not take the risk.

if it looks smells and feels ok then all is well

No no no no no no. No. Wrong.

ben5 Fri 03-Jan-14 10:37:21

depends on what they looked and smelt like

FortyDoorsToNowhere Fri 03-Jan-14 10:38:33

No if I was a day then I would say ok, but 4 days I wouldn't

chimchar Fri 03-Jan-14 10:39:25

I would.

I wouldn't, you don't know whats going on inside them skins.

SinisterBuggyMonth Fri 03-Jan-14 10:41:01

Eat them yourself if your not bothered, but it's not really fair to feed them, unknowingly to your DP that's unfair

HellonHeels Fri 03-Jan-14 10:41:46

No I wouldn't, you're potentially exposing your partner to food poisoning. Eat them yourself if you think they're ok. I would be very upset if my DH did that to me.

sausagefortea Fri 03-Jan-14 10:42:44

I wouldn't. Waffily is right, a slab of meat should be generally more robust to take a risk with than minced meat as the mincing increases the surface area of the meat and potentially allows any bacteria throughout the product. With sausages too they are generally seasoned so it might be more difficult to spot an off smell. Although an off smell isn't the best detector of food poisoning potential! If you are going to then cook them really well and cut them through the centre and cook them through the centre too.

WaffilyVersatile Fri 03-Jan-14 10:43:04

if it looks smells and feels ok then all is well

I seem to still be alive...

BrownPaint Fri 03-Jan-14 10:47:55

I wouldn't risk it with meat...I've just had d&v and I'm pretty sure it was from some turkey pie that was made for me...it had the same slightly funny taste from an Indian takeaway that made me violently sick. It was supposed to be chicken, but had that 'old' turkey taste to it...

BrownPaint Fri 03-Jan-14 10:48:34

My post doesn't make much sense...still recovering...

Dollslikeyouandme Fri 03-Jan-14 10:49:10

Whether or not they're ok besides the point. You can't feed something to someone else unknowingly.

He should have the choice.

And I personally wouldn't risk it with meat.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 03-Jan-14 11:10:18

i WOULD.

ApprenticeViper Fri 03-Jan-14 11:17:20

If it was a full, new packet that hadn't been opened yet, then I probably would (please don't ask me why this makes a difference, it just does smile).

If it was a half-empty packet that had been opened already and left in the fridge for a few days, i would exercise a lot more caution. If they smelt and felt fine, I'd cook them, but would slit them lengthways once cooked and put them back under the grill for a few more minutes, just to make double sure. My DP has the digestive system of a sickly puppy, but so far I've managed to not give him food poisoning!

PeterParkerSays Fri 03-Jan-14 11:19:02

If it was a best before date then yes, use by date, no.

LEMoncehadacatcalledSANTA Fri 03-Jan-14 11:20:31

If you aren't happy to eat them then don't give them to somone else

wtf1981 Fri 03-Jan-14 11:23:29

Definitely would. Just make sure they're well cooked!

Liquoricelips Fri 03-Jan-14 11:25:37

I would

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now