Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that since beaker gate MN has gone more...

(75 Posts)
Upyourbumscum Thu 02-Jan-14 22:55:03

Net Huns?

No I can't give specifics and I'd bloody love a biscuit but recently things have changed and gone a tad 'generic parenting site'.

Shoot me if I'm wrong...

HOMEQCRICH Fri 03-Jan-14 00:04:27

Oh damn sp it was netmums I was told about! Ah feck it I am here now!

HOMEQCRICH Fri 03-Jan-14 00:04:51

So not sp!

Lovecat Fri 03-Jan-14 00:05:08

Given that there's a thread currently running where people are being remarkably chippy and calling posters snobs and pedants for caring about correct spelling and grammar, I'd say the OP has a point. When I joined MN (back when it was all fields), the lack of textspeak and standard of writing we're things I really appreciated. Now it seems I'm an insulting snob for caring about such things... confused

Lovecat Fri 03-Jan-14 00:06:28

And of course the arseing kindle has thrown a typo in that post... blush

FeijoaVodkaIsThirstyForVodka Fri 03-Jan-14 00:43:35

Does that magic wand do vodka too?

FeijoaVodkaIsThirstyForVodka Fri 03-Jan-14 00:45:16

bwah ha ha Lovecat. grin

loveolives Fri 03-Jan-14 00:46:29

Not that I've noticed. I'm certainly not like that. Want it sugar coated? Go to Willy Wonka!

People have definitely got rather pissy recently though.

DramaAlpaca Fri 03-Jan-14 00:51:04

No, you're not wrong. A lot more xxx and lols around these days.

loveolives Fri 03-Jan-14 00:52:55

I saw 'ppl' earlier shock

JungleHumps Fri 03-Jan-14 00:59:20

Nothing wrong with ppl - that's from business. <knows>

Peeps on the other hand...

FanjoForTheMammaries Fri 03-Jan-14 01:03:54

Scottishmummy will be along in a minute I predict

FeijoaVodkaIsThirstyForVodka Fri 03-Jan-14 01:15:53

xxx

lol

FeijoaVodkaIsThirstyForVodka Fri 03-Jan-14 01:17:09

Ergh my skin is crawling now

tits piss and Fuck.

Ah that's better.

Pan Fri 03-Jan-14 01:19:56

words on a screen
trust nae fucker

YankNCock Fri 03-Jan-14 01:31:15

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Ohbyethen Fri 03-Jan-14 01:42:47

I'm currently experiencing the best of MN. Posters giving me their time, advice and support. I'm not being given shit but I'm still being given straight talking and not being patted on the head and told to go and be a good wimmenz.
Recently there have been more hun and lolz threads, but it does go in a cycle as those posters either settle in and pick up our habits or find they don't like straight talking and find advice is actually advice instead of 'everyone agree with me'. AIBU and chat seem to be most affected by this (FWR always gets shit unfortunately) while other topics do tend to maintain the status quo. Relationships can be helpful in deciding if it is a NM or MRA invasion depending on the amount of general misogyny or surrendered wife crap gets trotted out I've found.
But it's the internet, as with all things YMMV.
Even at it's worst I still much prefer here to elsewhere.

MardyBra Fri 03-Jan-14 01:43:11

I don't think it's just beakergate. I saw an interview with Justine recently where it was stated that MN has doubled its traffic figures in the last year. We are being diluted.

TheBigJessie Fri 03-Jan-14 02:07:07

Well, on the one hand, yes I do think Mumsnet has got worse, but on the other hand, I think that my perception may be based on absolute candyfloss. Human beings have an inbuilt nostalgia mode in their brains. Every single forum I've ever joined had threads like this after a couple of years. Even Socrates complained that children didn't respect their parents any more, circa 2000 years ago!

I have decided the only thing to do is to get a research grant, set up a forum, and analyse the posts as the years pass, to see of degradation occurs. Unfortunately, this is too much effort for me.

So until someone else does that for me, you are so right, OP! [shakes stick]

Dinnaeknowshitfromclay Fri 03-Jan-14 02:12:19

So if I want to move to Netmums but they are posh, can I still say fuck if I spell it the posh way (phuque)?

Tonandfeather Fri 03-Jan-14 02:21:43

I'm surprised to see how many predictive text errors there are and every 5th post appears to be "damned phone". I can't understand some posts as a result, so I give up. That's bad communication. I hate text speak almost as much as I hate over sentimentality.

I'm surprised at how appallingly some men behave and how much people excuse it. As though having a penis renders someone incapable of cleaning a toilet or ironing clothes. But entitles them to go to sex joints, for some reason.

TheBigJessie Fri 03-Jan-14 02:23:49

I thought the posh way was Farquhar. Or is that for fucker?

HoHoHopelessAtNamingBabies Fri 03-Jan-14 07:02:23

I have just seen a post with a genuine 'aww hun xxx'.

I has to quickly leap over to AIBU to cleanse.

meditrina Fri 03-Jan-14 07:10:07

Yes, I've seen hun, far, far too many lols, hubbies, bubs, (lighthearted), and OMG.

I'm just hoping it will go away.

brew

I'm fucked off seeing lol in posts and there's been a couple of hubby sightings.

I've never neen a nethun lurker, it's headache inducing.

I had a proper snigger after Juliegate , one idiot poster said MN was elitist!

grin As If!!

HRHLadyFarquhar Fri 03-Jan-14 10:14:28

In colloquial usage (i.e. Facebook) I realised (after some confusion and a few awkward conversations)that many of my female friends and acquaintances used "hubby" to mean "boyfriend of a few weeks or more". Possibly to make their relationship sound more significant than "boyfriend/partner" do.

I don't know how widespread this is, or whether it's a strictly local thing, but now, when I see "my hubby" I don't assume the poster is married.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now