to make dh return this call?

(76 Posts)
Mintyy Thu 02-Jan-14 21:58:16

Landline has just rung and I am not in the living room where phone is.

Dh is in there watching something on tv he is interested in.

He answered phone, it is a relative of mine fancying a chat.

He brought phone in to me in kitchen where I am eating late dinner, and I indicated "no, don't want to speak".

So dh said to caller "we'll call you back in about 15 minutes".

Aibu to refuse to do that and let dh call her back?

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Thu 02-Jan-14 22:55:33

Mind you, after tonight, he might think of that for himself next time fgrin

Wallison Thu 02-Jan-14 22:58:15

Is 'dh' code for 'personal assistant' now on mumsnet?

My DH wouldn't of answered the damn phone, never
does,even if hes sitting next to itangry iv given up trying to train him grin

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Thu 02-Jan-14 23:13:17

Wallison not sure if that's aimed at me or not, but I'll answer anyway fgrin

No, DH is not code for PA, however, I do expect the people I live with to have some sense of how I feel about things. If someone else chooses to answer the phone when they know I wouldn't, then I would expect them to do their level best to deal with it accordingly without involving me. In the same way I expect them to deal with people who knock the door or whatever. All he had to do was say she was out or in the bath and how could he help... if not, unless it was urgent, they'd see her as planned on Sunday. Telling her that Mintyy would call her back in 15, when it was clear she wouldn't want to was shitty/thoughtless of him.

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Thu 02-Jan-14 23:16:14

Some people aren't good at thinking on their feet maybe it was the first thing he thought of? People should make their own excuses not do it through another person and THEN expect them to deal with it again afterwards confused shine a light.

Mintyy Thu 02-Jan-14 23:21:28

But can you please explain to me why I should have to make my own excuses when I didn't answer the fekking phone?

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Thu 02-Jan-14 23:22:00

If he can't think on his feet he shouldn't have answered the phone fgrin

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Thu 02-Jan-14 23:22:57

Did you tell him not to answer it?

The phone call was for you. It was your family. It was you who should have done your own dirty work.

Mintyy Thu 02-Jan-14 23:25:15

But why? why? why???????????

I didn't answer the phone. I wasn't in the same room as him.

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Thu 02-Jan-14 23:29:05

Again, did you tell him not to answer the phone?

He's not psychic.

It was your call, you decided you couldn't make your own excuses and then when your DH makes an excuse for you that isn't quite how you wanted it to go, you expect him to ring them up?

I'd think you were a bit odd.

But this is just another 'YABU' 'why???? No I'm not'.

BillyBanter Thu 02-Jan-14 23:31:38

Look in future the moment the phone rings shout DON'T YOU DARE ANSWER THE FUCKING PHONE!

Not sure why you didn't think to do so this time, frankly.

SmileItsANewYear Thu 02-Jan-14 23:34:46

Look in future the moment the phone rings shout DON'T YOU DARE ANSWER THE FUCKING PHONE! Love this grin

HOMEQCRICH Thu 02-Jan-14 23:42:01

If I were you I would disconnect the phone..

kali110 Fri 03-Jan-14 00:21:53

Cant believe your husband actually rang your relative back. Think yawbvu.agree next time say dont answer the phone or disconnect the thing

DailyMailGail Fri 03-Jan-14 01:14:17

Why would your DH want to talk to your rellies.

Got to agree - I'd never expect DH to call my rellies back for a chat.

ComposHat Fri 03-Jan-14 01:29:54

Does anyone find the whole whole scenario a bit odd? I imagine this poor quivering wreck of a man trying to appease the unfathomable whims of his wife, who acts like a megalomaniac Habsberg emperor driven mad by power and syphilis.
op
I'm really timid, but if I'd been ordered to phone your relative and make a pissweek excuse because you suddenly didn't fancy it, I'd have told you to go and take your face for a shite.

UnicornsNotRiddenByGrownUps Fri 03-Jan-14 01:42:40

OP think you're getting treated a bit harshly here. I completely get where you are coming from.

KeatsiePie Fri 03-Jan-14 01:49:29

YANBU. If my DH answered a phone and told the person on it that I would call back in 15, I'd be really annoyed.

But. What should he have said? I know you said he shouldn't have answered the phone but I think YABU there, he should have the option to answer. So there must be a correct response he can give if it's for you and you don't want it.

I think I'd want mine to say "I'll tell her you called."

mayorquimby Fri 03-Jan-14 01:51:27

So in future any phone asking for you he should just respond "no" and hang up them.

Wallison Fri 03-Jan-14 13:09:48

<<But can you please explain to me why I should have to make my own excuses when I didn't answer the fekking phone?>>

Because the call was for you. So you make the excuses.

StanleyLambchop Fri 03-Jan-14 13:47:33

YABU. What was he supposed to do? He presumably did not know who was ringing until he answered it. When he knew it was for you, he came to find you. You indicated that you did not want to speak- but what was he supposed to say? 'Sorry, she does not want to speak to you?'. You can't expect him to be rude to your rellies on your behalf. If he had said something like- sorry, she is eating right now, they probably would have asked for a call back afterwards anyway. I think he is a saint to have done the call back for you, he is not your secretary!

cardibach Fri 03-Jan-14 14:49:44

THis is another of the issues on MN which make me go confused hmm.
WHy don't you people like to talk to your friends? Or if you are genuinely tired/busy why can't you just say so? THis phone thing goes along with the general MN distaste for people dropping in for coffee. In RL everyone I know likes it and is able to say the words 'Sorry, I have to go out in 5 mins' if necessary.
MN is like a parallel universe, I swear smile

BillyBanter Fri 03-Jan-14 14:55:43

But. What should he have said? I know you said he shouldn't have answered the phone but I think YABU there, he should have the option to answer. So there must be a correct response he can give if it's for you and you don't want it.

I think I'd want mine to say "I'll tell her you called."

'I'll let her know but don't get your hopes up.She made a right face when she heard your name.''

'Can I take a message? She's too drunk to come to the phone right now'.

ViviPru Fri 03-Jan-14 14:59:03

Urgh. Phonecalls. They make me twitchy.

Capricorn76 Fri 03-Jan-14 15:07:04

I hate people trying to call me in the evenings. It really feels like my personal space is being invaded. Most people have got the picture and text.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now