to make dh return this call?

(76 Posts)
Mintyy Thu 02-Jan-14 21:58:16

Landline has just rung and I am not in the living room where phone is.

Dh is in there watching something on tv he is interested in.

He answered phone, it is a relative of mine fancying a chat.

He brought phone in to me in kitchen where I am eating late dinner, and I indicated "no, don't want to speak".

So dh said to caller "we'll call you back in about 15 minutes".

Aibu to refuse to do that and let dh call her back?

BitOfFunWithSanta Thu 02-Jan-14 22:22:50

I am SO tempted to phone you now for a 'chat' grin

BillyBanter Thu 02-Jan-14 22:25:00

I think he should drive round there, pick her up and bring her round yours for a proper chat. phones are so impersonal, don't you think?

nevergoogle Thu 02-Jan-14 22:25:42

I hate it when anybody phones me. If there's a specific arrangement that needs to be made then great, sort it out, exchange the information and get off the phone. I don't want to chat. Therefore I don't answer the phone.

I'd be the same as you in this situation. But of course that doesn't mean that you aren't being unreasonable. Just that you're not alone.

Mintyy Thu 02-Jan-14 22:26:55

I didn't pick the phone up Pictish!!!!!!!!!! It is not my job.

PortofinoRevisited Thu 02-Jan-14 22:27:13

BOF - you never ring ME for a chat envy ! Mintty my love you need to suck this one up, tell them you are just off to bed etc.

PortofinoRevisited Thu 02-Jan-14 22:28:24

Mind you - I always feel slightly panicked when the house phone rings....

pictish Thu 02-Jan-14 22:29:00

We just don't answer the phone in the evening any more. No caller ID on the landline, so we jump out of our skins if it rings, and then gape at each other in outrage.
We 1471 it, and 9 times out of 10, it's a nope.

Shnickyshnackers Thu 02-Jan-14 22:29:08

dont phone them back. no biggie. but you are being completely unreasonable. i feel sorry for your dh, he's not a mind reader.

Thisisaghostlyeuphemism Thu 02-Jan-14 22:30:01

It's no ones job.

If relative calls you just say, "bloody dh didn't tell me you'd called"

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Thu 02-Jan-14 22:30:20

Minty are you okay?

<tilts head>

pictish Thu 02-Jan-14 22:31:02

You sound like my dh did.
It IS your job.

ExitPursuedByAChristmasGrinch Thu 02-Jan-14 22:32:37

On the fence here.

Really he should not have answered. That is what caller display is for.

But unfortunately he did. And your relly. Your call.

Soz

snigger

BillyBanter Thu 02-Jan-14 22:35:18

don't phone her. Cut all contact. It's not worth the social embarrassment of not calling her back, nor having to say words to someone you only saw the other day.

NachoAddict Thu 02-Jan-14 22:35:29

Oh I always ignore my phone, I hate chatting over the phone.

YANBU!

Mintyy Thu 02-Jan-14 22:36:30

He's done it. Just done 15 minutes on the phone to confirm (bear in mind he hasn't eaten yet) that we are still going there exactly as arranged on Sunday. Topics covered included possibly moving house, younger db appearing in a naked charity calendar, a fall out with some distant relation she has.

This person has never knowingly been on the phone to me for less than 30 minutes and I have posted about her actually moving me to tears of frustration before now about her phone habits.

New Years Resolution is to get phones with caller id, and this year will really do it!

ExcuseTypos Thu 02-Jan-14 22:38:34

Dare I ask if you've phoned her back yet?

ExcuseTypos Thu 02-Jan-14 22:39:32

Oh x posted!

You're DH is well trained!

ExitPursuedByAChristmasGrinch Thu 02-Jan-14 22:41:11

Bless that man. He is a true treasure.

cjel Thu 02-Jan-14 22:42:43

I must admit I hav a rule which Ive passed on to both my adult dcs that the phone was installed for my benefit and if I don't want to answer it I won't. I also would feel obliged to ring back if someone else said I would. I wouldn't expect them to do it for me though.
I have to text my ds and say I need to speak to you can you answer. Ten ring again and he doessmile
Peopke who I wannt to talk to know my mob no and if I don't answer landline they will ring that.
Like I say they can ring but I don't have to answer!!!

cjel Thu 02-Jan-14 22:43:14

Would NOT feel obliged to answer!!

VworpVworp Thu 02-Jan-14 22:46:57

Goodness- you eat supper late in your house, Minty!

Mintyy Thu 02-Jan-14 22:48:15

Yes, sometimes very late.

Mintyy that was above and beyond the call of duty and very nice of your DH.

pictish Thu 02-Jan-14 22:53:07

Think we need caller ID as well.
My dad is hard to get off the phone. Don't feel sorry for him...he's narcy, and only ever talks about himself and what he's been doing lately in great laborious pleased-with-himself detail.
Must add though - if dh did what yours did, I'd still view at as my problem to deal with.

Dh's aunt is his equivalent. She has invited us to her 'open house party' on Saturday, on five seperate occasions now...one official invite through the post, one print out done on the computer for us as a cute visual reminder and handed over in person, another of the same for ds1 who is 12, and two verbal phone call reminders. Thus far.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Thu 02-Jan-14 22:54:58

Caller ID - I wouldn't be without it now fgrin

If you have issues with this person your DH should know to try to take control of the situation when he answers the phone - he could have said you were out and could he help & if not, you'd see her Sunday as planned. He has to have known you wouldn't want to call her back & he didn't do much to help you out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now