To choose to have a tooth extracted rather than undergo a root canal?

(68 Posts)
2kidsintow Thu 02-Jan-14 18:43:58

I have been to the dentists with a problematic molar today. Apparently the nerve is exposed and I needed to go back. Dentist said either for a root canal, or another option could be an extraction.

I'm opting for the extraction as the tooth continues to be a problem and has been filled several times and is mostly one big (ugly) silver filling when you look at it. I foresee the root canal as a v temporary thing.

I also am squeamish at the thought of the HOUR appointment that she said she needed to do it in. What a wimp.

Beavie Fri 03-Jan-14 00:41:35

* visible lol

Beavie Fri 03-Jan-14 00:40:51

Yep have it out. Long story but I had 3 teeth removed in a year in 2012, including 2 wisdom teeth, and have no viable gaps. It was straightforward and quick, and didn't hurt at all when my dentist did it. Healed up quickly and I was good as new.

WhatICallAUsername Fri 03-Jan-14 00:18:16

oh feck. Knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread sad . Root canal and filling tomorrow. Woe is me

MrsGrasshead Fri 03-Jan-14 00:17:49

Well yes I've been faced with the dilemma three times. I regret the two extractions. Although a bit of an ordeal with the root filling, it wasnt as bad as I imagined, ive had it over ten years now and there's a limit to having teeth extracted. Work to save your teeth is my view.

BumgrapesofWrath Fri 03-Jan-14 00:14:29

Having had both, I'd say YANBU!!

Hawkmoth Fri 03-Jan-14 00:08:32

*piece of piss

I still find it upsetting!

Hawkmoth Fri 03-Jan-14 00:08:00

Three children after that seems like a piss of piss.

Hawkmoth Fri 03-Jan-14 00:07:32

Yes I probably shouldn't be so negative. I am a strange case in that I have an extra nerve canal in my molars, which the dentist missed and was only found after a year and a half of agony and strong prescription drugs.

I'm sure that's not normal and root canals can be a good way of preserving teeth.

SinisterBuggyMonth Thu 02-Jan-14 23:56:42

I'd rather have all my teeth taken out than have 1 more root canal in my life.

The pain I get is sudden and shocking enough to make me jump out of my skin. Doesn't matter how much anaesthetic I have, or which dentist does it.

For me, childbirth was a fucking doddle after going through that.

Lilacroses Thu 02-Jan-14 23:53:03

I had 2 root canal treatments last year. I was dreading them but aside from getting jaw ache from keeping my mouth open that long it was absolutely fine.

landrover Thu 02-Jan-14 23:33:42

Hawk, thats the end problem with root canal treated teeth is that they go brittle (but obviously that can take some time!) That is occasionally what happens when you have a front tooth with root canal then jacket crown, some time later the patient will arrive when their tooth has sheared off at the base, that is when they end up with a post crown. Obviously you try to keep these teeth as long as poss, but outcomes tend to be not quite as satisfactory with molars.

Hawkmoth Thu 02-Jan-14 23:28:41

I had a party when my root canal tooth cracked and had to be taken out. That bastard caused me five years of pain.

landrover Thu 02-Jan-14 23:28:27

Mummy, you are right, that is what it says (it is Bupa though!!!!!!)

landrover Thu 02-Jan-14 23:27:11

wobbly grin

wobblyweebles Thu 02-Jan-14 23:25:05

My mum once said that root canal is worse.that child.Birth!!!

I didn't feel anything when they did my root canal. I felt it sting a wee bit when I gave birth.

landrover Thu 02-Jan-14 23:25:00

It is certainly a difficult decision with molars, as they are definitely more difficult to treat, absolutely we should all try to keep hold of them, but if you have a mouthful of other perfect teeth then its worth considering the time, pain, inconvenience, cost etc without a guarantee xx

MummysPuppet Thu 02-Jan-14 23:23:08

Harold You make a good point.

MummysPuppet Thu 02-Jan-14 23:21:30

I was surprised too landrover as that's what I'd always believed though I've no idea for what reason since I am far too squeamish to actually read about these things until I have to.

That's how I read it anyway, but happy to be corrected as I may be taking it out of context since I had to read it with one eye closed.

WhereIsMyHat Thu 02-Jan-14 23:21:21

I had a root canal on a bottom, back molar which was fine. A year later I was in pain again and there was an abscess at the bottom of one of the roots. I decided to have it extracted rather than the fuss of a hospital repeat root canal. Ivan very happy with the decision although I suspect the fact there's a wisdom tooth behind helped as the gap seems to be getting smaller.

HaroldTheGoat Thu 02-Jan-14 23:21:13

I am terrified of dental work, I put off going for years and had a root canal recently and it was FINE.

I would give it a try.

Depending on where it is.

Got to keep hold of pegs I think as we don't know what could happen to the others. thanks

Filofax Thu 02-Jan-14 23:16:42

Please don't lose a tooth unless you have to. I've had a couple of root canal treatments and have had no more discomfort than I would with a filling, by that I mean of the initial needle for anaesthetic. It was no big deal at all. I have had a number of adult teeth removed in my late childhood due to overcrowding so this colours my view, but think the recovery from an extraction would be a lot worse than just waiting for numbness to wear off. I know others here had had problems but losing a tooth can cause problems in itself and is not a reversible decision.

mummratheevertired Thu 02-Jan-14 23:15:01

I had a tooth extracted 2 weeks ago. A molar, it had had a root canal for 10 years which constantly got infected and caused pain. Had it redone a couple of times and opted to have it removed. Dentist was really good and it took a couple of minutes to have it removed.

landrover Thu 02-Jan-14 23:12:15

Bupa statement, not pupa smile

landrover Thu 02-Jan-14 23:11:30

Mummys, i am going to have to look at that bupa statement, as far as I was aware, when you root treat, the nerve supply is taken away and the tooth is dead!!! Thats why they go brittle and often break off (thick is when you need a post crown instead of a jacket crown, very surprised at that pupa statement. Perhaps there is a dentist around that can clarify?

issey6cats Thu 02-Jan-14 23:10:23

i went for extraction the dentist recomended root canal treatment on one of my back molars she did the first treatment wasnt too bad but the antiseptic she put in kept coming back at me in waves for the next two weeks, i was gagging, choking and couldnt eat for the taste of it and being as im a skinny who cant afford not to eat when she said another two to three treatments there was no choice i had the dammed thing pulled i would have died of starvation otherwise and was working 12 hour shifts in a busy kitchen at the time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now