to be disconcerted by 12 year old ds's..............er....maleness...?

(170 Posts)
curlew Thu 02-Jan-14 18:06:45

We are a family that's pretty relaxed about nudity, and ds just wandered out of the shower- and his willy and balls have suddenly turned, practically overnight, into grown up ones.

All perfectly natural and I love that he's growing up, but......waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

wigglybeezer Thu 02-Jan-14 18:24:05

My youngest DS was traumatised when his 12 year old brother "developed", they share a bedroom and his older brother had a habit of climbing up the bunkbed ladder naked to fetch his PJ's, giving his wee brother a lovely view of dangling tackle.

ilovesmurfs Thu 02-Jan-14 18:24:15

i know exactly what you mean curlew we are relaxed about nudity here as well.

ds1 is 14 and ds2 is 11. ds1 is def all man now physically. he got razors and shaving foam in his stocking. its like one day they are still a little boy and then boom!

everynow and then i get a glimpsr of ds1 and am still suprised by the hairyness etc.

its fine, just a very obvious reminder of how grown up he is getting, he is my babybee....wail. grin

soaccidentprone Thu 02-Jan-14 18:24:15

Ikwym.

One day they seem so small, and then they just seem to grow overnight and become a teenage boy. And you wonder where all the time went?

Ds2 is nearly 12 and he still likes to curl up on my knee like he did when he was a babygrin. Trouble is he is only 10cm shorter than me now!

He started getting really stinky armpits and has to be reminded to wash and put on deodorant.

I'm afraid this is the thin end of the wedge and once they start puberty it all changes pretty quickly.

And everyone else, stop being so nasty. The op was just sharing an observation like hundreds of others have done. Why shouldn't she express her feelings about he ds growing up?

It's AIBU isn't it? Attack wherever possible is the default.

Bodypopper Thu 02-Jan-14 18:25:12

See this is precisely why I always brought up my kids to knock on ours and each other's bedroom doors and not parade around naked thank you very much. Past age 7/8 anyway.

Less is more! grin

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 02-Jan-14 18:25:35

Oh yes laurie - when you suddenly realise they get jokes that you used to count on going over their heads.... [embarrassed]

SilverApples Thu 02-Jan-14 18:26:07

Yes, I've been asked to treat cuts and bruises in awkward places with no sense of modesty. But I had a long hard battle to get him to wear clothes in the house for years, finally won when he was around 7.
It is a shock when you get a sudden indication, any indication, that they are becoming adults.
I was arguing with DS last week, and he picked me up and ran down the road with me. Including my shopping.

Orangeanddemons Thu 02-Jan-14 18:27:29

I love ds,s beardy face. I pull his beard, it makes me laugh

I remember being horrified that he would even grow one though!

BellaVita Thu 02-Jan-14 18:27:32

I know exactly what you mean too curlew grin

IamInvisible Thu 02-Jan-14 18:28:29

I walked out of my bedroom the other morning, at the precise moment DS2(17) walked out of his stark, bollock naked! shock blush

I got more than I bargained for and didn't know where to put my eyes!blush He just went "Morning, mother!" grin

SilverApples Thu 02-Jan-14 18:28:57

And yes to DD getting rude jokes and innuendo and having adult content conversations with me.

It was a very impressive bruise Silver. i was hoping shin but it was more thigh. sad You could see the stud marks and everything from the boot.

MrsMeow Thu 02-Jan-14 18:30:07

Bloody hell, some of these replies!

OP I get where you're coming from, I had similar when I took DD to buy new bras the other week. Huge change from her last lot in the summer!

DS (nearly 10) got a Lynx set for Xmas and was over the moon with it. He's hardly been out of the shower since. That was a shock to the system as well. It still feels like I should be giving him Johnson's baby bath to use grin

And there's the moment when the hairs in the bath are definitely not from DH or I. grin

Bodypopper Thu 02-Jan-14 18:30:32

silver had exactly that. Ds picked me up while in full flight nag mode and popped me out of his room when he was 17. Made us all laugh.

puzzleduck Thu 02-Jan-14 18:30:55

Boys are different to girls. Girls tend to become shy when going through puberty whereas boys just act the same as before.

IamInvisible Thu 02-Jan-14 18:31:43

I've got my own wetroom, Sparkling, no one is allowed to use it but me!

envy Iam. Shared family bathroom here. Two boys. sad

Waaah my boys are nearly 4 and 15 months & I'm dreading all of this. Remind me to give their baby ness an extra big cuddle tonight.

Tigerbomb Thu 02-Jan-14 18:33:15

I dont even want to think about my son's tackle but I do remember the time where it seemed that one minute he was shouting mom, mom in a normal kids voice and then the next second it was a deep bass voice

Bodypopper Thu 02-Jan-14 18:34:00

To add ds when he was 17,and to be fair quite fit, opened the front door to 3 of my middle aged friends in his boxers.

Fond memories of their faces.

hoppingmad Thu 02-Jan-14 18:34:47

Yanbu. Think some people are a wee bit uptight!

My ds confronted me one day with "I'm growing hair - down there! Wanna see?!" I told him it was ok, I believed him

I hate the fact he now gets all the jokes - it's a pain in the arse as dh & I can't share a wry smile about daft things now as he bloody gets it!

SPsWantsCliffInHerStocking Thu 02-Jan-14 18:35:12

I was arguing with DS last week, and he picked me up and ran down the road with me. Including my shopping

grin My brother has done that. 14 and 6 foot. He has no shame or concept of modesty.

He walls around in his boxers all the time. When he finally got hair he had to show us all.

NoelOfLorst Thu 02-Jan-14 18:35:21

Thankfully I've been spared the meat n two veg display with my eldest, but we did have Pubewatch- daily updates on the amount and thickness of the newly sprouted hairs.

That was fun hmm

Bodypopper Thu 02-Jan-14 18:35:45

sparkling dark, bristly hairs? Feel your pain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now