To not get gilets/body warmers

(36 Posts)
ineedsomeinspiration Thu 02-Jan-14 17:18:01

We are meant to be getting some at work but I just don't get how they keep you warm.
So it's cold enough to want a big puffy body warmer but then don't you just get cold arms?
Please educate me.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 02-Jan-14 17:19:50

They're to allow freedom of movement. They do keep you warm as well, core temperature or something.

ineedsomeinspiration Thu 02-Jan-14 17:22:24

I always get chilly arms and that would be why I put something warmer on. I'm thinking body warmer would not solve this? I have plenty of fat around me tummy maybe that's why it doesn't get cold.

agedknees Thu 02-Jan-14 17:22:35

I wear mine on our canal boat. Means I can easily use the ropes etc and still keep warm and toasty..

olidusUrsus Thu 02-Jan-14 17:22:36

They do keep you lovely and toasty, I have an old Puffa one leftover from when I rode horses and I am sure it is made of particles from the sun or something

I wondered the same - and then was given one! It did keep me nice and warm, although I have to admit that I do sometimes wear it over my coat!

AdventColander Thu 02-Jan-14 17:26:59

Yes I think they are for people eorking outdoors, eg market stall holders, who don't get cold because they are moving about more.

jellyandcake Thu 02-Jan-14 17:31:27

This is the second thread in ten minutes that had expressed confusion over a present my ds has just got that I can't figure out (the other is his balance bike which both of us were puzzled by but mm has now explained to me). He has got a lovely gilet but I don't understand what weather it is for as I also get cold arms. I think they are for days like today - cold but not freezing, dry and sunny...judging by the number of kids whizzing past us on bikes and scooters wearing gilets whilst we puzzled at them resentfully, poor little ds plodding away in bewilderment trying to get the hang of scooting in his massive padded parka...

ViviPru Thu 02-Jan-14 17:33:17

I swear by them - adore mine. If wear a thick coat for walking the dog I'm just a hot sweaty mess within minutes. Without a major insulating garment of some description though, I absolutely freeze. My (Don) Gilet is like a magical heat-regulating forcefield of joy. As Shatners says, they keep your core temperature stabilised, and as long as you have a sweater of some description (merino hoody is the perfect gilet partner) and gloves, there's no better way to keep to a comfortable temperature when moving around outdoors IMO.

(Plus I like the layering-look opportunity they afford <vein> )

superlambanana Thu 02-Jan-14 17:33:31

I am a complete wuss when it comes to cold and always wondered the same thing. Then I bought one filled with duck down mainly for fashion reasons as it's pretty and oh my goodness, it's like wearing a duvet!! I'm so toasty in it. I can stick a medium thickness jacket underneath if necessary but have actually been out in December with it just over a jumper. I am hoping that my baby bump doesn't make me grow out of it before the warmer weather comes!

AdventColander Thu 02-Jan-14 17:35:02

Not eorking - working. Oops!

Gladvent Thu 02-Jan-14 17:36:57

I don't get them either. I like being warm. I like my arms being warm. No way, gilet.

ok,.they work because when you are cold, your blood moves away from your extremities to protect your core - heart lungs etc take priority over fingers and toes.

keeping your core warmer negates the need for the blood to move away from.the extremities which,.in turn, keeps them warm.

Caitlin17 Thu 02-Jan-14 17:47:01

I don't have one as simply from a look point of view they aren't my thing. However I used to wonder this about wrist warmers/ fingerless gloves but goodness what a difference they make.

Dollslikeyouandme Thu 02-Jan-14 17:59:16

They are great for Autumn when it's too cold for a thin jacket but too hot for a big coat. They do keep you strangely warn all over. And less restricting than a coat.

After thinking I wouldn't be seen dead in one, I borrowed my sister's one day over Christmas. It was lovely and warm. I didn't look in the mirror though!

wobblyweebles Thu 02-Jan-14 18:25:08

They are also handy for when you're wearing your warmest coat but it's still too cold to actually go outside so you put the down-filled gilet on underneath.

That may just be where I live though. It is -18C here right now (without wind chill which I am trying not to think about).

loveliesbleeding1 Thu 02-Jan-14 18:32:36

Someone once told me if your chest is warm, then your arms will be warm.dd (12) has a gilet, and she wears it even when it's really chilly over a jumper with gloves for our dog walking.

loveliesbleeding1 Thu 02-Jan-14 18:34:50

Wow wobblyweebles -18.No wonder you need double layers.

ineedsomeinspiration Thu 02-Jan-14 18:35:29

What about for little ones though. Ds got one for Christmas last year. He was one st the time and I just didn't think it would keep him warm sat in his buggy.
Will also probably look bloody awful on me as I'm very busty.

loveliesbleeding1 Thu 02-Jan-14 18:40:46

Yes 1 is a bit little with not regulating own temperature and such, I saw a tiny weeny newborn one befor, can't imagine tiny baby with great big zip under the chin!.

wooldonor Thu 02-Jan-14 18:44:04

I'm wearing one now with a thermal vest and a thin jumper and I've been more than warm all day, saves me having to turn the heating on during the day.

I don't know how they works but they definitely do.

SecretNutellaFix Thu 02-Jan-14 18:48:29

I actually hate my arms encased in bulky coats. I find them restrictive, so a gilet is a perfect solution- arms in thinner close-fitting long sleeves, body and arse kept warm by gilet.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Thu 02-Jan-14 18:49:01

i love them.

HOMEQCRICH Thu 02-Jan-14 18:52:45

I love them! I have 4!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now