to feel embarrassed about the town I live in due to colleague's comments

(204 Posts)
tuggle Thu 02-Jan-14 16:39:34

I have name changed.

A new colleague who I find quite boastful mentioned she lives in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. I mentioned I lived in a town in North West Kent. She screwed up her face and said;

"When I think of this town I picture caravans. Isn't there a lot of social issues?"

I found myself justifying why we chose to live there rather than telling her where to go. I am no good at comebacks or confrontation.

I knew she was being rude. She is a snob and I admit has a very comfortable lifestyle.

BohemianGirl Thu 02-Jan-14 17:12:59

North West Kent - it can only be Erith, Welling, Thamesmead that are so awful or any of the Crays

Everything else is quite passable. I'm North West Kent - although lets face it, it's South London.

NearTheWindmill Thu 02-Jan-14 17:15:49

You should have asked her if she was going to retire to Margate grin.

Seriously if she really did say "Isn't there a lot of social issues" I'd just have riposted with "there are, you know there really are, there ARE a lot of social issues - but I'm trying to bring up the children to speak proper".

We live in a luffly place now and people often pick up on my DH's now very soft Yorkie accent and ask where he's from and I just say "Armley" and their little dahlink jaws drop. And I nod and smile, nod and smile.

SomethingkindaOod Thu 02-Jan-14 17:15:58

Try living just outside Rochdale... grin
As above, the town itself has an awful reputation but it's surrounded by some lovely villages. Some of the comments I get though have been really nasty.

nomorecrumbs Thu 02-Jan-14 17:18:03

She's being ridiculous.

I don't come from the most salubrious location myself so I anticipate any negative comments by making a joke out of it.

At least you're not boasting OP - noone's going to be impressed by someone's location, FFS. Bet she doesn't have much else to boast about if she takes this attitude!

snowed Thu 02-Jan-14 17:18:28

Don't be embarrassed OP, hold your head up high and remember her money doesn't seem to buy manners.

eggsandwich Thu 02-Jan-14 17:19:18

Ohh... she's going to fit in really well isn't she !!!!!!

ComposHat Thu 02-Jan-14 17:19:38

I lived in Armley for thtree years too. I love it. That's where my exchange with the Mercedes snob took place.

The church in Armley is incredible!

Goodadvice1980 Thu 02-Jan-14 17:21:01

Please people, remember it's ROYAL Tunbridge Wells!!

jeee Thu 02-Jan-14 17:21:08

Must be a Kent thing - I'm waiting to see my town mentioned. Actually when we moved from one seaside town (desirable postcode) to the next one down (less desirable postcode) we got loads of snooty comments. We just laugh. Our seafront is nicer, anyway.

nomorecrumbs Thu 02-Jan-14 17:21:25

The classiest people don't boast about what they have because they have nowt to prove grin

I remind myself of this when MIL is banging on about her new designer handbag/shoes/gilet/stationery hmm

BohemianGirl Thu 02-Jan-14 17:22:52

I live in a ghastly town. I don't tell people I live there. I move one post code up.

NearTheWindmill Thu 02-Jan-14 17:23:18

Ooh, were you near Gott's Park Compos? Do you mean St. Barts? You must have known PIL if you do. That might be why you once called me a good Tory shock!

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Thu 02-Jan-14 17:23:32

psmsl @ Derker

I always referd to myself as Hollinwood crimeside

NearTheWindmill Thu 02-Jan-14 17:24:15

MIL refers to living in "Upper Armley" ROFL - PIL came out of the back to backs grin.

NearTheWindmill Thu 02-Jan-14 17:24:30

Not PIL, FIL ......

Loopylouu Thu 02-Jan-14 17:25:19

I used to live in Slough grin

I've heard it all.

snowtunesgirl Thu 02-Jan-14 17:35:11

I live in the Borough of Lewisham which has a bad rep but I love it!

katrina81 Thu 02-Jan-14 17:35:29

Well I'm from Gravesend, then moved to Margate now living ooop north, well scummy me lol

ComposHat Thu 02-Jan-14 17:37:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 02-Jan-14 17:37:34

She's rude!

I live in a less salubrious bit between Worthing and Shoreham on the south coast and always feel slightly embarrassed saying where I live.

It has improved since we moved here as more and more people are priced out of Brighton but still, it's not somewhere people really aspire to move togrin

It is daft, because I'm perfectly happy here, I just avoid telling people.

Take no notice op, she's the one with the problem, not you.

Topseyt Thu 02-Jan-14 17:55:20

I live in north west Essex, and people do speak in a similar way about living in Essex, as if the whole place is based on TOWIE and the like.

It is in fact a very diverse county, a lot of it rural, and has a lot of history. It extends far beyond the East London part.

I hate this sort of snobbery about where people live. It is so judgmental.

Do you live on the isle of Sheppey op?

Ignore her, no town is perfect, and if you are happy then take no notice of the horrible snob.

pluCaChange Thu 02-Jan-14 18:13:08

I live in one of the "acceptable" places mentioned, and it's sooo uninteresting that people went off to join the summer riots elsewhere. confused

Bunbaker Thu 02-Jan-14 18:14:23

I live near a town that has a lot of deprivation and one of the worst educational records in the country. I'm not ashamed.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Thu 02-Jan-14 18:19:42

My town is a dump, I know it is, and I do not pretend its anything its not, it is what it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now