To be astonished at the stupidity of the Smart Swap campaign?

(235 Posts)
Farrowandbawlbauls Thu 02-Jan-14 15:21:38

Yes, we all need to eat better and move about more but I've just seen the advert for swapping sugar loaded fizzy drinks for sugar free ones.

Am I alone in thinking it's one of the most ill thought of things they've come up with yet?

The sweetners in sugar free drinks are dangerous. The sugar free stuff usually advertised is most of the time, worse than the full fat stuff.

Link

I can see why they are doing this as it is a huge problem in this country, but I don't thing they've thought this through at all.

Solo Thu 02-Jan-14 16:11:39

I'm not about to start buying in aspartame 'sweetened' products on anyones sayso gordy as I believe it's no good!

Solo Thu 02-Jan-14 16:13:18

Apart from Christmas, I don't buy fizzy drinks anyway, but I'd like to be able to buy full sugar versions.

RevoltInParadise Thu 02-Jan-14 16:16:14

Can someone explain about the spreads please? W usually use can't believe it's not butter but happy to swap to proper butter if better? What about the fat content?

gordyslovesheep Thu 02-Jan-14 16:16:15

I don't believe it's compulsory solo

gordyslovesheep Thu 02-Jan-14 16:16:59

trans fats - not good fats

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 02-Jan-14 16:17:38

There is no evidence that sweeteners are dangerous.

I don't buy them though because I think they taste nasty.

madamecake Thu 02-Jan-14 16:18:36

YANBU! I would much rather give my dd a drink with sugar in than one packed full of artificial sweetener.

Solo Thu 02-Jan-14 16:20:01

Thank goodness for my decaff tea!!!

Solo Thu 02-Jan-14 16:21:31

Felt dreadful that my craving when pg with Dd was diet coke with lemon or lime. Marginally better? hmm than my craving with Ds which was fruit cake and lager blush

makemineabacardi Thu 02-Jan-14 16:25:18

That's nothing Solo, when pg with DD my craving was pot noodle. Now THOSE are bad for you. grin

CailinDana Thu 02-Jan-14 16:25:56

Milk is a highly nutritious food - really really good for you. Cutting down on milk and butter makes no sense. As other posters have said, low fat yoghurt is absolutely bonkers. They replace all the nutrition with cellulose, a substance made from wood pulp that the body can't digest. What's the point? My kids eat thick greek yoghurt with fruit squished into it - yummy, cheap, filling and very nutritious.

Sunnymeg Thu 02-Jan-14 16:26:41

The irony of all this, as any diabetics will tell you, is that a lot of low fat foods have extra sugar added, to enhance their flavour. DH is diabetic and was advised not to choose low fat goods. grin

CailinDana Thu 02-Jan-14 16:32:22

The whole "low fat" thing is all mixed up. Food has become such a pleasure product that people seem to forget that you need to nourish your body by providing it with the building blocks it needs to construct new healthy cells. That includes fat, protein and carbohydrates. In terms of nourishment a slice of brown toast with cheese and beans, a banana and a packet of crisps is spot on. It has enough fibre, fat, salt, sugar, calcium, carbohydrate and potassium to give you a good energy boost and keep you full.

MrsDeVere Thu 02-Jan-14 16:32:37

I saw this advert today and was only half watching because DM was visiting.

I sort of did a double take with my mouth open.
I couldn't believe they were going on about calories wrt to children and then getting them to swap with sugar free fizzy drinks and appeared to be walking off with a glass of water on the tray confused

I am relaxedish about food. I don't make a big deal out of healthy eating but don't buy a lot of processed stuff either.

But this advert seems very poorly thought out. Kids don't need that fizzy crap full stop and the calorie content is the least of the issue IMO.

frankie4 Thu 02-Jan-14 16:33:38

This campaign is sponsored by the supermarkets so it is all wrong.

The problem is not that children are drinking too much semi skimmed milk instead of skimmed milk, but that they are eating too many crisps, chocolate and biscuits etc. It is in the supermarkets interest for parents to swap butter for low fat spread, but to continue buying sweets and unhealthy ready meals.

Much better for children to eat full fat milk, cheese, butter and lots of fruit and veg. I don't give my children low fat anything as I think they need good fats, but I do limit sausage rolls, sausages, crisps etc as they have fats but no nutrition.

FraidyCat Thu 02-Jan-14 16:34:39

I wont have marg I only have butter

I avoid artificial sweeteners, but there's nothing wrong with margarine that I'm aware of. Surely it's just fat from a plant instead of an animal?

I didn't like G&T until I was pregnant. Not that I indulged much (we were allowed a unit or 2 twice a week or something then I think) but good lord that craving took me by surprise.

Bloody tonic almost always has sweeteners in it these days - even Schweppes.

frankie4 Thu 02-Jan-14 16:37:09

Also, in terms of how they teach this at school... I had an argument with ds recently as he had been told by his teacher that diet drinks are healthier than orange juice as they have less calories!! I could not believe he had been taught this but I checked with other mums and they had been. I think the supermarkets have a huge influence in all these campaigns as of course there is more profit in diet fizzy drinks than in fresh fruit juices.

TheBigJessie Thu 02-Jan-14 16:38:03

There are too many people who think fat is evil as it is. I have not forgotten being asked if it was a good idea to give my 9 month old a bit of avocado "because that's got a lot of fat in" by a well-meaning relative. hmm A well-meaning, extremely well-educated relative, by the way. Just not in the nutritional sphere.

NoComet Thu 02-Jan-14 16:38:19

Swap things I like for things I hate, ODFODGoverment

frankie4 Thu 02-Jan-14 16:40:42

This is from the Smart Swap Campaign website:

"Brands that have signed up to offer vouchers include Unilever, Pepsi Max and Robinsons, while people can redeem the vouchers at stores including Asda, Lidl and Co-operative Food and Aldi."

!!

CailinDana Thu 02-Jan-14 16:46:31

Says it all really frankie. Basically if you give your child whole foods (ie foods with one ingredient) such as milk eggs nuts fruit vegetables meat in reasonable portions with small amounts of other foods such as bread cake biscuits chocolate etc then you can't go far wrong. Milk or water to drink with one glass of fruit juice per day (diluted for under 5s).

meboo Thu 02-Jan-14 16:53:17

oh how ill informed or naive some of you are.

Ever wonder how is margarine made?
Many people probably know it is made by a process called hydrogenation. But few are aware of the details of what goes on during hydrogenation.

Here is a step-by-step description of the hydrogenation process.

How is margarine made: Step 1

Margarine makers start with cheap. poor quality vegetable oils, such as corn, cottonseed, soybeans, safflower seeds and canola.

These oils have already turned rancid from being extracted from oil seeds using high temperature and high pressure. Rancid oils are loaded with free radicals that react easily with other molecules, causing cell damage, premature aging and a host of other problems.

The last bit of oil is removed with hexane, a solvent known to cause cancer. Although this hexane subsequent removed, traces of it are inevitably left behind.

Unfit for consumption

Moreover, some of these oils are not suitable for human consumption to begin with.

Cottonseed oil, one of the most popular margarine ingredients, has natural toxins and unrefined cottonseed oil is used as a pesticide. The toxin, gossypol, is removed during refining.

Cottonseed oil also contains far too much Omega-6 fatty acids in relation to Omega 3. While both Omega 6 and Omega 3 are essential fatty acids, an imbalance between the two is widely believed to cause various health problems, including heart disease.

Most experts on the subject believe that a healthy ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 is between 1:1 and 1:2. Cotton seed oil, however, has over 50 percent omega 6 and only trace amounts of Omega 3, giving a ratio of 1: several hundred or more.

As cotton is one of the most heavily sprayed crops, there are also concerns that cottonseed oil may be highly contaminated with pesticide residues. However, insufficient testing has been done.

Canola oil, which is widely touted as the healthiest oil of all, has problems as well. Consumption of Canola has been linked with vitamin E deficiency as well as growth retardation. For this reason, Canola oil is not allowed to be used in the manufacture of infant formula.

The oils used for making margarine are also among the Big Four genetically modified crops – soy, corn, rapeseed / Canola and cotton.

How is margarine made: Step 2

The raw oils for making margarine are steam cleaned. This destroys all the vitamins and antioxidants.

However, the residues of pesticides and solvents – that is, hexane – remain.

How is margarine made: Step 3

The oils are mixed with finely ground nickel, a highly toxic substance that serves as a catalyst for the chemical reaction during the hydrogenation process.

Other catalysts may be used, but these, too, are highly toxic.

How is margarine made: Step 4

The oils are then put under high temperature and pressure in a reactor.

Hydrogen gas is introduced. The high temperature and pressure, together with the presence of nickel catalyst, causes hydrogen atoms to be forced into the oil molecules.

If the oil is partially hydrogenated, it turns from liquid into a semi-solid.

Trans fats are formed during partial hydrogenation. These are fat molecules that have been twisted out of shape. In liquid oils, the molecules are bent, with the hydrogen atoms on opposite sides of each other.

During partial hydrogenation, the molecules are somewhat straightened and now all the hydrogen molecules are on the same side.

If the oil is fully hydrogenated, it turns into a hard solid that cannot be eaten. It no longer contains trans fats because the "out of shape” oil molecules have all been broken up to form straight chains. But this does not mean they have become healthy again because of all the unnatural steps above.

How is margarine made: Step 5

What comes out of the partial hydrogenation process is a smelly, lumpy, grey grease.

To remove the lumps, emulsifiers – which are like soaps – are mixed in.

How is margarine made: Step 6

The oil is steam cleaned (again!) to remove the odor of chemicals. This step is called deodorization and it again involves high temperature and high pressure.

How is margarine made: Step 7

The oil is then bleached to get rid of the grey color.

How is margarine made: Step 8

Synthetic vitamins and artificial flavors are mixed in.

A natural yellow color is added to margarine, as synthetic coloring is not allowed!

In fact, early last century, all coloring was not allowed and margarine was white. This was to protect consumers so that they do not get butter and margarine mixed up.

How is margarine made: Step 9

Finally, the margarine is promoted to the public as a health food – with the full endorsement of many scientists, doctors, nutritionists and health authorities.

Oh yes and it's one molecule away from being plastic.

As for Aspartame, well you really need to read all about artificial sweeteners too.
What is funny is that the scientist who tried to prove that it was all ok for you ended up being employed by the side that was disproving the fact and now the powers that be say it is ok, what a coincidence.

It would cost far too much for the industry if the government decided to ban it. As they say, money talk.

I wouldn't feed it to my worst enemy.

fairisleknitter Thu 02-Jan-14 16:58:31

Just googled the words Smart Swap and all top references were for the partnership details with corporate peddlars of Junk food.

Says it all.

EndoplasmicReticulum Thu 02-Jan-14 16:58:47

meboo - that looks like a c+p from a scaremongering internet site, to be honest.

"it's one molecule away from being plastic"

Well, water is one atom away from being hydrogen peroxide. Statements like that show little understanding of how chemistry works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now