ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

to think an email is as good as written thank you note on ye olde paper?

(87 Posts)
DrNick Thu 02-Jan-14 12:00:34

in this Day and age wink

overthemill Thu 02-Jan-14 12:01:54

Depends who to. Person same age as you maybe but not grandparent.

timidviper Thu 02-Jan-14 12:02:04

We used to have this argument with MIL when DCs were younger. I felt a phone call, email or text was in place of a thank you note, she felt they should have been followed up with one.

MammaTJ Thu 02-Jan-14 12:02:20

Yes, or a text would do, just some form of acknowledgement and gratitude.

Fleta Thu 02-Jan-14 12:02:22

I don't think the method of doing it matters as long as the sentiment is there!

Over Christmas I wouldn't send a thank you note of any sort to people we had received gifts from who gave them in person and were thanked there. People on e-mail I would send a mail.

My DD will write three thank you letters and get them sent this week.

DrNick Thu 02-Jan-14 12:03:05

dont presume grandparents havent got the internet though

DrNick Thu 02-Jan-14 12:03:38

My mother recently tried to get me to write a note BACK to a thank you note from some croney of hers.

DrNick Thu 02-Jan-14 12:04:04

You see - a text is NOT ok IMO
i have no justification for this grin

ShatnersBassoon Thu 02-Jan-14 12:06:00

I think any form of thanks is acceptable.

And all of this 'Thanks for your thanks' letter stuff is ridiculous! We had it when we sent notes of thanks for wedding presents, and I never knew if the senders were waiting for a 'Thanks for your thanks for the thanks' note in return.

DeWe Thu 02-Jan-14 13:23:59

I'm old fashioned. The children are currently writing their thank you letters on notepaper.

RandyRudolf Thu 02-Jan-14 13:25:39

An email is ok but it's nice to receive a pretty notecard too. Makes it feel that little bit more special.

HebeJeeby Thu 02-Jan-14 13:28:17

I don't think it's the same somehow, can't explain why. Perhaps it's the amount of effort that goes into writing and posting a letter as opposed to a text. I always make DD write thank you letters and she actually quite enjoys writing them. Although I don't make her do them all at once as that might put her off for life.

DIYapprentice Thu 02-Jan-14 13:29:44

An email is usually adequate but no way is it as good as.

phantomnamechanger Thu 02-Jan-14 13:30:08

Dear family & friends, a small request. I do love your DCs and their handmade thank you pictures, but please, this year, no glitter! Just as we had got rid of the tree and the bits of tinsel/pine needles/glitter etc, arrived the thank yous and I emptied a whole envelope of green and red glitter over the lounge carpet!
PS you are within your rights to carry on sending them to the thoughtful auntie who sent your DC the tonnes of glitter and glue in the first place

thank you

Quenelle Thu 02-Jan-14 13:30:18

DS sends a photo with a note written on the back. But I am happy to receive a thank you in any form.

My GD always sends a nice letter. I would prefer her to thank me in person though, given that she is opening the present in front of me. Never does though, nor do her parents encourage her to.

mrsjay Thu 02-Jan-14 13:31:15

I have always had a problem with thank you notes I think it is nicer to thank them in person if possible or a phone call, so an email is just as good as anything

Lottiedoubtie Thu 02-Jan-14 13:33:29

An email doesn't cut it for me sorry.

It's got to be a nice card/letter.

Happy with a verbal thanks instead though if that is applicable.

But if you haven't physically seen the gift giver you have to send the card.

DrNick Thu 02-Jan-14 14:02:39

why has it got to be in paper format?

Nancy66 Thu 02-Jan-14 14:04:22

Yes, I think it's perfectly acceptable.

It's the acknowledgement and gesture of appreciation that counts

BillyBanter Thu 02-Jan-14 14:11:46

Here is a gift
thank you for the gift.

How that thank you is delivered is irrelevant.

Well as long as it isn't tied round a brick and thrown through their window. That would be sending mixed messages.

fluffyraggies Thu 02-Jan-14 14:12:13

I think it would depend on the age of the recipient.

My own rule of thumb right now would be up to the age of 50 - an email would probably be ok. Older than that and i would err on the side of caution and stick to a proper note.

I don't think a text cuts it at all.

SkinnybitchWannabe Thu 02-Jan-14 14:12:56

My dcs write thankyou cards.
Always have and hopefully when they have children they will do the same.

SkinnybitchWannabe Thu 02-Jan-14 14:12:56

My dcs write thankyou cards.
Always have and hopefully when they have children they will do the same.

AuntieStella Thu 02-Jan-14 14:15:07

The important thing is to thank.

The sensible thing is to fit the format to the recipient. So not email to technophobes.

Even with the price of stamps, if the DC are very small, written (or "written") is really cute. And people like getting personal letters amongst the usual junk/admin. So it is a nice thing to do.

BillyBanter Thu 02-Jan-14 14:17:37

As it goes I've received a few standard 'thank you for the gift it is very nice notes' and thought very good then binned them. The best thank you I've had, delivered by text, was because the words in it showed genuine appreciation that on this occasion I'd really chosen very well indeed so I was really chuffed that the present had been a real hit. I reread it a few times.

I don't notice whether I get a thanks or not really. The kids are all young so it's a note written by the mum or 'say thank you to auntie billy'. FANK YOU is then said as their attention remains elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now