To hate being gay?

(177 Posts)
DixieGoesToHollywood Thu 02-Jan-14 10:57:33

I know this seems rather self indulgent and is probably a bit of a non issue but it's something I just can't get out of my head.

I am a lesbian and unfortunately can't change that, much as I would love to be straight.

I feel like I can't cope with the people who make comments in the street (not all the time, but on the odd occasion) and shout at me and DP that we are disgusting. I hate the way I have to correct people when they assume my DP is a man and they always pretend not to be shocked but sometimes you can tell they're thinking "oh my god, didn't have her down as a lesbian" grin.

I'm worried that my future children will be bullied and that other parents won't want to hang round with me and DP.

I guess I'm worried that homophobia is still around and I honestly wish I could be straight and just blend in. I hate myself even more for being so ashamed.

HermioneWeasley Fri 03-Jan-14 14:35:31

OP, agree with what others have said. The more open you are and the more you realise how most people simply don't care, the easier it is to reconcile.

I had a terrible time when I first realised - eating disorders, self harm. Now very happy with DW and our babies.

Wishing you peace and happiness. Xx

chocolatemademefat Fri 03-Jan-14 19:27:45

While we still have labels like gay and straight there will always be problems. My son is gay and has no problems with his peers - problems arise from older generations. My parents are very anti-gay (homophobes in a big way) resulting in my son hiding a big part of his life from them.

People who dont know I have a gay son are quite happy in social situations to crack jokes and make disgusting comments which I ignore as my son has no wish for his family to turn it into a big deal. I die a little inside everytime I dont retaliate.

Dont hate yourself Dixie - and dont stop being proud of who you are. I know its not much comfort now but I think slowly things ARE changing. There are a lot of people like me around who perhaps should speak up more to stamp out the ignorance you are subjected to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now