To get upset by people's gender preferences for girls

(227 Posts)
roweeena Thu 02-Jan-14 04:34:53

So everyone seems to want girls. A couple I know we're very happy to find out they were having a girl 'as that's what they really wanted'. SIL has been congratulated in having girl and when she found out everyone was so excited.

Whereas I have two DS, DS2 is 12 weeks and I'm possibly a bit hormonal and over sensitive but people have actually asked me if I'm disappointed, when I'm going to try again for a girl and have told me that girls stay closer to their mums whereas boys you have to deal with DIL.

Why are boys seen as second rate and why do people seem to be disappointed I have two DS. I love them so much and can't wait to see what type of men they grow into.

I'm just getting annoyed with other people responses

JugglingIntoANewYear Sat 04-Jan-14 08:10:32

Aww, but my girl is lovely too - though I can quite see why you might be a bit defensive of your lovely boys woolly given the annoying line of questioning.

The best thing about having one of each is you can see they are both equally great, and equally challenging - and each is so much their own person and so much more than any gendered stereotype.

Silentelf Sat 04-Jan-14 08:30:37

This thread really surprises me! I have two boys and feel like I am the super lucky and massively proud one! I thought people were probably envious of me. When my first was born I never admitted I really wanted a boy, of course what I wanted was a healthy baby if either sex but I was extra delighted when he turned out to be a boy. Then the pressure was off for baby 2- I really didn't have a gender preference and its great having 2 into the same things and wearing the same stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now