To ask what naughty tricks you got up to as children

(64 Posts)
ProudAS Wed 01-Jan-14 22:13:30

Mine generally involved putting DB up to no good - eg telling him to throw favourite toy downstairs in middle of night then wake up parents and make them look for it or sending him with silly messages.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Fri 03-Jan-14 08:37:34

Oh goodness, where to even start?! I was brought up on a farm in Australia, the eldest of 5 kids, so there was a heck of a lot of mischief to get into! That said we had a very healthy respect for the many dangers to be found on a farm, and in Oz in general. One of my sisters(probably around 9 or 10 at the time) once took dad's John Deere green spray paint and gratified the pet sheep! Dad was not amused but didn't find out til years later which one of us did it (the sheep was fine by the way!)

ebwy Fri 03-Jan-14 10:22:00

apple pie beds - stopped when my mother pointed out that if we could do her bed that well we could make our own from now on.

knocking doors

tying a small bell to fishing line and dangling it out of the bedroom window (lights off at night), then making it ring to freak people out

potassium permanganate in the toilet cistern - the water was purple when flushed!

cling film on the toilet - sounded like a drum when my cousin peed on it and he got soaked with the spray from it.

playing the overflow pipe at my nanna's house like a trumpet, it made some lovely noise in the house.

terrifying a younger girl with stories of the ghost train coming to get her.

Pigsmummy Fri 03-Jan-14 11:33:21

Once my sister and I were bitterly disappointed that it hadn't snowed on Christmas morning so we took all our talc (for some reason had loads of it with toy characters on) and stood on the top bunk of our bunk beds then covered the room and each other in talc. The entire room was white and I will never forget the look of horror on our Mums face when she opened our bedroom door.

Our long hair had to be cut off due to the talc, so we had really bad crew cuts that year.

ProfondoRosso Fri 03-Jan-14 11:38:27

I was a very well behaved wee geek as a child. grin

The 'naughtiest' thing I ever did was making up a fake survey and going round people's doors with my equally geeky wee pal. DANGEROUS!

ProfondoRosso Fri 03-Jan-14 11:42:33

Oh actually wait.

When I was about 3 I used to tell my granny I'd done a poo in various places when I hadn't. My poor wee granny would go looking for the nonexistent poos behind the couch, in the garden etc. And one day, when I told her I'd done a poo in my dad's tin whistle, she didn't believe me. My poor dad found out the ugly truth later. When I have DCs, I might use this tale to educate them against lying. Who needs the boy who cried wolf when you have the girl who cried Jobby?

Lamu Fri 03-Jan-14 12:05:15

I was pretty gullible when I was little, second youngest of four brothers I was pretty tame. Db2 and 3 gave me a round red hot chilli, told me it was a sweet, I put it in my mouth after a couple of seconds it was pretty clear it wasn't . I was 6.

We used to terrorise the poor security guards in our gated community. We'd wait till they were snoozing in the afternoon heat, usually under our tree out the front then switch on the sprinklers and run.

Db 2 had a thing about sticking things in sockets. Cue a burning smell and mum running in to find the socket and wall scorched. 'It want me it was Lamu" hmm

Then there were phases of rescuing mangy diseased animals and hiding them in my wardrobe. The puppy only lasted 3 days after mum found fleas in my bed. He had to go back to the dump. The pigeon eventually died. And the kitten also got turfed out.

Then there was the time I'd decided that I'd take the school bus home unbeknown to my mother. I was probably about 5. I didn't really know where I lived. I was eventually dropped home after dark, mum was livid I got a good lashing that night.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 03-Jan-14 12:38:09

scratched my brothers name into the paint on the windowsill so he got the blame.

wonderingsoul Fri 03-Jan-14 12:51:22

lamu-- i had to re read that.. i thought you actually drove the school bus home...

i was quite tame, cant really remeber much. my mum used to jump down the last two stars so it made a thud than lay dead at the bottom of the stairs. when she was a kid.

i was allways more accident prone.. like jumping of a school gym climbing frame becasue the teacher said if we fell the mats below would protect us.. well they didnt and i ended up with a broken arm.

getting my arm stuck behind a radiator when it was on (thankfully i had my jumper on) i can remeberr it being story time and not wanting to make a fuss so i waited the 30 minutes slightling crying untill the teacher was done. the ambulance , firebirgade and police (god knowsd why) had to be called.

juping down the school steps, breaking my leg but haviong the head teacher who found me tell me i was fine and being dramtic and trying to send me back to class.

riding full pelt into a bramble bush with a friend becasue we thought id be funny.

Cheesyslice Fri 03-Jan-14 13:12:13

I climbed out of my bedroom window and had a little wander around on the roof of our conservatory. Cue mum frantically charging up the stairs after a neighbour phoned her to dob me in hmm

cornishcreamtea Fri 03-Jan-14 15:22:09

degust Did the sheep enjoy being gratified?! wink

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Sun 05-Jan-14 22:17:37

Cornish- it didn't seem terribly fussed! 'twas a weird pet sheep, it used to stalk my youngest sister and scare the crap out of her; it also used to jump onto the back of the ute when there was a big bulk sack of dog food on it, tear it open with a hoof, and proceed to eat it!

wyldchyld Sun 05-Jan-14 22:36:49

I wasn't a particularly naughty kid BUT I did have a terrifyingly good imagination (and still do! Stephen King gives me nightmares aged 22). I remember my Guides met in a Church hut in a very old, very big churchyard with a huge tree. I told all the Guides (and all the Brownies) aged 10 or 11 a very long, very scary story about this witch who was lynched on the tree and liked to steal the souls of children when they slept if they touched the tree or something like that. One of the guide leaders got in trouble from the parents because half of the kids wouldn't sleep / not stop crying for weeks but weirdly, I never got the blame!

Shosha1 Sun 05-Jan-14 23:02:39

We lived in Singapore as kids. At the end of our road was a air raid shelter.
Used to shut my younger brothers down there and chuck fire crackers in smile

To be fair it was in retaliation as they had filled my bed with snake skins (Shudder)

bouncingbelle Sun 05-Jan-14 23:07:16

Actually laughing out loud about "the girl who cried jobby". I was a very boring well behaved child apart from cutting up my school skirt because I wanted to make it like a Hawaiian grass skirt, instigating the great game of "let's all jump off the garage roof" which WAS great till we got noticed and shouted at and I then fell off and broke my ankle , giving a friend a haircut (aged 4) the day before the school photo, and over a period of months, gradually cutting off all the edging round my grans 70s style couch (I think this was around the same time as the grass skirt scissor obsession)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now