To think ds will be eaten alive if he wears his team scarf to the match?

(275 Posts)
BettyBotter Wed 01-Jan-14 19:21:03

We live near Blue Town. Ds (15) supports Red City FC but has never been to a premiership match. For Christmas we got ds and the whole family tickets to see the match between Blue Town and Red City when the reds play here.

Ds is insistent that he will wear his Red City scarf and cheer loudly for the reds despite us being seated right in the middle of the Blue Town stands. He thinks because he's only 15 and cute the blue fans won't mind. hmm

I haven't been to a match since 1986 for a while, so have no idea what to expect. Will we actually get out with all our limbs intact if ds does this? Should I ban him from wearing anything red or is football now family-friendly entertainment where the home crowd ruffle the young lad's head and congratulate him when his team thrash the home team?

(For context Blue Town is fairly well known as 'rough' and there were no options to get tickets in family friendly seats.)

Tips, advice and sneering derision constructive comment welcome. smile

BettyBotter Wed 01-Jan-14 19:40:19

ssd - not being streetwise he genuinely didn't.
he does now wink

Have to go out now but thank you again all.

Holycowiloveyoureyes Wed 01-Jan-14 19:52:58

I actually thought it was an offence to knowingly sit in the wrong end. I'm sure you can be ejected from the ground.

TallulahBetty Wed 01-Jan-14 20:00:01

Unlikely he'd even be let in. My local team (for whom I have a season ticket, so know what I an talking about) will not let someone in the opposite end.

DH is a red fan, he will not wear any identifying red when going to a blue match.

Hooliganism is well on its way back, and if you don't have any drink on you they don't care what gets taken in the stands, knives and glass is common. And if you think there will be stewards you are kidding yourself.

Don't let him

NatashaBee Wed 01-Jan-14 20:04:51

God no, glad you managed to change his mind.

SaveMeTheLastGreenTriangle Wed 01-Jan-14 20:23:15

OK at the rugby. Not OK at football.

crabwoman Wed 01-Jan-14 20:39:46

Has he been to a football match before? He would be subject to a lot of dirty looks at the very best, and at 15 he would be fair game for verbal abuse. And all it takes is one drunk nut for things to get very nasty. It would be uncomfortable for everyone. Assuming the stewards would allow him in wearing it in the first place....

DH is a arsenal season ticket holder so pretty expert. He says that if you're specifically in the family enclosure, you might be ok, contact the ground in advance. If it's the normal stands, they won't let him in, and if they do, or he puts it on once he's sat down or something, someone will point him out to the stewards and he'll be ejected.

furlinedsheepskinjacket Wed 01-Jan-14 20:43:44

how sad I had no idea

ssd Wed 01-Jan-14 20:44:42

we were at a big game on boxing day, the blues and the reds, you wouldnt get a 15 yr old wearing the wrong scarf in any stand there, and its not just the stands you need to look out for, the visiting supporters are kept away from the home ones, cant believe you're even asking the question

Teeb Wed 01-Jan-14 20:44:43

You'd be removed from the stadium pretty much straight away. Although probably not quickly enough to get a hell of a lot of abuse, which would quite frankly be deserved for such a volatile act of confrontation on the part of your DS.

Honestly, with the attitude your son has the people sitting around you will smell it a mile off that you aren't 'theirs' and won't be best pleased at all about a derby rival being in their pack. I really would try to get tickets in the away allocation or not go if you don't think he's capable of behaving.

ssd Wed 01-Jan-14 20:46:27

yeah I'd sell the tickets and stick to the panto

LittleTulip Wed 01-Jan-14 20:46:37

I would not be wearing my team colours in the opposing teams seating area full stop!

Just clarified to DH that he's 15. DH has now changed his advice (thought I was asking about a six or seven year old) to absolutely not, the best that will happen is that he would get abuse hurled at him for the time it took for the stewards to boot him out. Because he'd look like he was deliberately looking for trouble and there are always people happy to oblige, especially if it's a tense match.

MyNameIsWinkly Wed 01-Jan-14 20:48:56

Having worked as a police officer at football matches, and had to be a human shield so the away fans could get to their coaches without being bottled or getting a kicking, I would suggest your son would be a grade one idiot to do what he's suggesting. Anyone who tells you football is a family friendly game hasn't attended the matches I've been at.

Teeb Wed 01-Jan-14 20:49:58

Can I ask why you bought tickets at all in the wrong part of the stadium? Many fans consider it hugely insulting to have football tourists hijack their seating allocation. Even more insulting if they aren't even there to support the home team.

ssd Wed 01-Jan-14 20:53:11

agree with teeb

when we went to the boxing day game the kids and dh supported the visiting team more, but wore no colours..clapped and cheered when the home team played well and then won, basically enjoyed the game for what it was and didnt do anything daft

Floggingmolly Wed 01-Jan-14 20:54:55

You thought he'd be ok because he's cute??????

SuckItAndSee Wed 01-Jan-14 20:58:20

DH saw a grown man spit on a five year old boy wearing the "wrong" colours at a match. This is the level of idiocy you are dealing with. He must not wear colours.

I've been in the "wrong" end on occasion, but one needs to be discreet in order to avoid carrying one's face home in a bag, indeed just to get past security.

IamInvisible Wed 01-Jan-14 21:02:02

No don't do it. Infact I am quite sure he wouldn't be allowed into the stands.

DS1 went to watch 'his team' play another team with the school. They were in the other team's stand, it was their colours or neutral clothing only.

DS1 went because he loves his team, but he hated not being able to celebrate the goals, wear his shirt etc.

ashtrayheart Wed 01-Jan-14 21:03:42

Definitely not a good idea. But I will never understand the extremist football mentality, ever. Spitting on children confused

flowery Wed 01-Jan-14 21:05:17

Seems a real shame for his first premier league match to be in the opposing end where he'll have to sit quietly. We are season ticket holders and DS1 has recently got very into football, so we've taken him for his first couple of matches. He was incredibly excited and loved feeling part of a huge group all supporting our team, singing our song, etc.

Topaz25 Wed 01-Jan-14 21:05:31

YANBU. I used to work as a steward at football matches. Football is not family friendly and some people take it very seriously. At best there is a risk of verbal abuse, at worst violence. The away fans are seated separately specifically to avoid tension. If I were you I would try to get tickets to the away stands as even if he doesn't wear his colours, your son will find it difficult not being able to celebrate his team's goals.

Thisvehicleisreversing Wed 01-Jan-14 21:10:38

As a 13 yo I was at my home teams ground wearing my home town scarf. As I waited for my lift a mini bus of away fans drove past. It stopped in front of me and grown men shouted out of the window how they were going to get my scarf off me and burn it and if I was wearing anything else with my team on they'd burn that too whether I was wearing it or not.

I was a lone 13 year old girl at my own team's stadium. Does your 15 year old boy honestly think he'd be left alone?

Superfudge Wed 01-Jan-14 21:16:02

Definitely wear neutral clothes. Avoid shouting out if the Red Team score or go forward. Get up and clap/cheer if the Blue team score. It is horrible to do, and that's why I refuse to sit with opposition fans.

I have been a season ticket holder at a Premier League (and now Championship) club since I was 10. Time and time again people, often from red Northern teams I might add, sit in with the home fans, being blatantly obvious. It is incredibly easy to tell. Facial expressions and body language very often give it away, e.g. Smiling when the home team miss a penalty or a shot goes over the crossbar. Most of the time it is fine, but on several occasions the opposing fans have been ejected from the ground or have been visibly intimiated from the reactions of others around them saying things. I don't think it's worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now