To be nonplussed why people rave over Mrs Brown's Boys

(455 Posts)
ComposHat Wed 01-Jan-14 12:41:35

I've tried watching it twice twice and haven't got past the first five minutes it was so awful.

It seemed like an artless parody of a shite 70s sitcom (like something Frankie Howerd forgot to make) Don't get me wrong I'm not a comedy snob and quite enjoy a broad knockabout comedy like Vicious, yet I am utterly bemused by Mrs Brown's Boys, it looks dated, absurd and utterly free from laughs.

Yet it has a massive following, especially amongst people of my parents' generation. Normally when there's a TV programme I dislike I can see why other people (Top Gear for example) may enjoy it. But Mrs Brown seems to be without any redeaming features.

There must be some fans out there who can explain its appeal?

noblegiraffe Wed 01-Jan-14 12:59:14

Offensively awful. Couldn't believe it when it won the Christmas ratings.

And my mum's Irish, so not all Irish people love it.

Elderflowergranita Wed 01-Jan-14 12:59:20

I agree, it makes me embarrassed to be Irish.

Heartbrokenmum73 Wed 01-Jan-14 12:59:27

Maybe Keith Chegwin will turn up, grinning at his Dad's death.

'Why are you smiling?'

'You're still smiling'

That kills me every time!

ThePinkOcelot Wed 01-Jan-14 12:59:40

I can take it or leave it. I get a few laughs out of it. Surprisingly, my really prudish aunty loves it.

OpalMoonstone Wed 01-Jan-14 12:59:52

It's awful and I don't laugh once but it's so awful that I find it strangely entertaining.

TheNewSchmoo Wed 01-Jan-14 13:00:19

Dreadful shit. A friend of mine who is a bit older than me, life and soul of the party, brilliant sense of humour, really really good fun, Irish, told me I must watch it as it is the funniest thing she's ever seen. I watched it and was genuinely perplexed. I didn't understand why she was crying with laughter when it was, well, dreadful shit!

timidviper Wed 01-Jan-14 13:02:27

I just find it very predictable so not particularly funny for me as I'm always a step or two ahead. My Mum loves it though and drives DB mad by regaling him with what she thinks are the funny bits

My mother loves it too and she is a prude too. She was astonished that I had never seen an episode and put one one for my enjoyment. Dear God what utter tripe. I was like this shock while she had tears of laughter streaming down her face.

FunnyLittleFrog Wed 01-Jan-14 13:05:13

MIL loves it and was gutted that an episode was interrupted in order to announce Mandela's death.

Thank you, thank you, thank you; I thought it was just me!

You're right about the 70's sitcom feel to it - as an old git, those are the shows I grew up with. Stereotypes'r'us, sadly. The first time I saw Mrs Brown's Boys I was convinced it had to be a rerun of a 70's show I hadn't heard of before, unlikely as that was (there were only three channels - not much got past you then).

I just don't get it. Ditto Citizen Khan. Like a rerun of 'Mind Your Language' <shudders>.

To those of you saying your mother loves it - what ages are your mothers?
<Hopes for 70 plus answers and not 50s like myself>

SecretNutellaFix Wed 01-Jan-14 13:11:17

I can't stand it myself. My mother loves it and yes, she is an Irish woman of retirement age.

VelvetSpoon Wed 01-Jan-14 13:14:02

I just don't understand why it's funny, it doesn't even make me smile let alone laugh!

Everyone I know thinks it's hilarious - some older, some younger, irish or not. Even DS1 likes it (and he's 15 and doesn't like anything).

I think it is hysterical.

Unfortunately the bores of mumsnet are our today

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 01-Jan-14 13:15:44

Skinheadmermaid - I believe the reason Mammy is a man in drag is because when they first did the sketch it was on the radio. The lady booked to do the voice of Mammy didn't turn up, so Brendan covered for her doing the voice, and it was decided he did a good job.

I love Mrs Brown's Boys, I have even seen the live show, which is even funnier.
I guess it is one of those shows you either love or hate.
And I am 29. My PIL like it too - they are in their early 50's.

My mother is over 80. Loves Mrs Brown and Lily Savage and can gloss over sex references and bad language from these. Likes John Bishop but was outraged watching the broadcast of his live show when he swore. confused

insummeritreinsdeer Wed 01-Jan-14 13:16:24

Must be an older generation thing. I absolutely detest it, have to switch off if it comes on. Find it completely unfunny and indulgent and the nepotism annoys me.

DF and particularly DM, who is usually prudish about 'language' and such, absolutely adore it.

bishboschone Wed 01-Jan-14 13:16:29

I really don't like it either , I have a great sense of humour but honestly it's shite ... It reminds me of bread ( the sitcom) .. Yawn .

I presume you mean 'out' Jimmy.

And I'm not boring, I just have high standards in comedy and a triple figure I.Q.

Neither of which are compatible with that toe-curlingly, anus-puckeringly woeful excuse for a show.

monniemae Wed 01-Jan-14 13:20:39

It's horrific. AWFUL. And my Irish Dad, 60s, loves it. Nearly ends himself just telling me about how funny it is. Just don't get it confused

PurpleJellyDisc Wed 01-Jan-14 13:20:48

It's the kind of humour that was acceptable in the 70s which is why the older generation like it. I was surprised at how rude it was.

Nancy66 Wed 01-Jan-14 13:21:02

It's crap but people have always liked crap comedy.

Look at how popular programmes like: Terry and June, It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Keeping Up Appearances were. All shit, predictable, slapstick comedy.

This is the modern-day equivalent

Heartbrokenmum73 Wed 01-Jan-14 13:21:03

Unfortunately the bores of mumsnet are our today

I'm obviously too boring to understand what this statement means.

Weelady77 Wed 01-Jan-14 13:21:26

I think it's hilarious grin

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 01-Jan-14 13:21:54

insummeritreinsdeer - at 29 I resent being labelled "the older generation" thanks. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now