To be nonplussed why people rave over Mrs Brown's Boys

(455 Posts)
ComposHat Wed 01-Jan-14 12:41:35

I've tried watching it twice twice and haven't got past the first five minutes it was so awful.

It seemed like an artless parody of a shite 70s sitcom (like something Frankie Howerd forgot to make) Don't get me wrong I'm not a comedy snob and quite enjoy a broad knockabout comedy like Vicious, yet I am utterly bemused by Mrs Brown's Boys, it looks dated, absurd and utterly free from laughs.

Yet it has a massive following, especially amongst people of my parents' generation. Normally when there's a TV programme I dislike I can see why other people (Top Gear for example) may enjoy it. But Mrs Brown seems to be without any redeaming features.

There must be some fans out there who can explain its appeal?

Heartbrokenmum73 Mon 06-Jan-14 19:38:11

Haven't we already done the class thing?

I'm working class and I don't like it. Class has nothing to do with it.

Again, sense of humour is a subjective thing.

HesterShaw Mon 06-Jan-14 19:39:22

The class thing is nonsense.

Again, I do think there is something in sense of humour having something to do with educational background.

ForalltheSaints Mon 06-Jan-14 20:06:14

It is even more of a mystery than why people waste their Saturday evenings watching X factor. It is awful and how it got a second series is beyond me, unless it was a result of a drunken bet.

OpalMoonstone Mon 06-Jan-14 20:08:17

Yes indeed we have. No worries
I won't write it out then if it's been decided that that opinion is wrong.

ProfessorDent Tue 07-Jan-14 14:34:40

I am charmed a bit by the characters, who seem sort of likeable, so you can go along with the jokes more, just as if you like someone in real life you'll laugh at what they say. O'Carroll's technique of making eye contact with the camera, like Max Miller, helps this of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now