To think the USA and UK should become 1 country

(350 Posts)
FortyDoorsToNowhere Tue 31-Dec-13 00:08:33

As the title says.

I think it should happen, not sure why exactly other than to pool out resources.

goinggreyagain Tue 31-Dec-13 00:32:29

Wobbly is that any more scary than not having health insurance in the US ?

willyoulistentome Tue 31-Dec-13 00:33:17

Just....NO!!!

GobbySadcase Tue 31-Dec-13 00:34:16

Errrrrr......

Nah.

The nhs isn't perfect but it's a damn sight better than what the US has surely?

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Tue 31-Dec-13 00:35:15

I could look at it this way...there is a definate chips and gravy gap in the market....land of opportunity etc. bill gates would have shit all on me

and i'll have a gun smile

goinggreyagain Tue 31-Dec-13 00:36:06

If you have good health insurance and then can afford the co pays etc the health care here is very good, in saying that its probably just like private in the UK.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Tue 31-Dec-13 00:37:01

I may be a little drunk and not thought of the ins and outs.

But I know a lot of people who have the American dream and that where the thread come from. I should have said that in the OP

wobblyweebles Tue 31-Dec-13 00:37:05

Anyone else here actually tried living in both countries? I'm curious as to what they think.

I don't even think the US is really one single country in many ways. The problem often is that people perceive it to be.

NatashaBee Tue 31-Dec-13 00:37:19

I've travelled a lot, but have never lived anywhere as 'foreign' as the US in terms of beliefs and culture. On the other hand, if they became one country perhaps I would be able to get hold of Peperamis, which I really miss. Tough call.

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Tue 31-Dec-13 00:38:08

Why would anyone even think about this haha! Why would we want this?

Do they do fish and chips over there?

goinggreyagain Tue 31-Dec-13 00:38:39

I grew up in the UK and came here when I was 20. I agree with you wobbly about the US being so different, I am in NJ and when I go to parts of Texas etc it is like a different world.

Sleepyhead33 Tue 31-Dec-13 00:38:41

Well exactly so what is the problem with the NHS that is far superior to anything that anyone without a private healthcare equivalent in the US would receive??? Confused???

MardyBra Tue 31-Dec-13 00:39:33

The American dream is that you can "make it" if you try. But if you have any disability or are not capable of "making it" then you fall by the wayside.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Tue 31-Dec-13 00:39:38

I know all the USA States have diffrent laws and diffrent ways of life. The UK in it self would just be another state.

NatashaBee Tue 31-Dec-13 00:40:00

They do do fish and chips (they have chains like Long John Silver's) and the fish there is nice but not really like the UK. No curry sauce, mushy peas, pickled onions or pickled eggs, and you'd be lucky to find malt vinegar.

lessonsintightropes Tue 31-Dec-13 00:40:22

I've spent a lot of time in the US (visited 30 states so far and have another few planned for the next few months), a lot of friends over there too.

One of the reasons I love travelling there so much is because the US feels amazingly foreign to me in terms of attitudes etc, but because we share a common language and they are quite chatty, generally, it's interesting to explore the differences.

The US (barring the exceptionalism of the coasts) is a lot more conservative and religious than the UK, and is only likely to become more so with immigration from Latin America, Asia and Africa. It's a fascinating place and somewhere I love dearly - wouldn't keep on going back if I didn't - but think that culturally we are two thirds of the way to being European in terms of social attitudes etc and only one third towards the US, therefore the cultural difference would be too great to integrate properly.

However, the US is by no means homogenous - Louisiana, California, Alaska, New York and Dakota are more different from each other than are the UK, Poland, Slovakia and Italy, for example. It'll never happen for reasons of pure geography, and increasingly, race and tribalism - but I hope we don't lose our historical links, as I think there's a lot we can learn from each other (including things we could do better than the other cf gun crime; social equality etc etc).

Sleepyhead33 Tue 31-Dec-13 00:40:38

Sorry x posts. Meant in reply to goinggreyagain

willyoulistentome Tue 31-Dec-13 00:41:26

What do you mean you can't get Peperamis. Tescos have them.

CustardoPaidforIDSsYFronts Tue 31-Dec-13 00:41:49

NO VINEGAR shock

MardyBra Tue 31-Dec-13 00:42:08

"I think it should happen, not sure why exactly other than to pool out resources."

So there's no reason then. And exactly which resources were you thinking of pooling?

wobblyweebles Tue 31-Dec-13 00:42:27

It is true - malt vinegar is hard to find. Could be a dealbreaker?

DoYouLikeMyBaubles Tue 31-Dec-13 00:43:36

No fucking vinegar? What sort of nonsense is this?!

grin

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 31-Dec-13 00:43:55

Fuck off!

wobblyweebles Tue 31-Dec-13 00:43:56

I will say that you never ever want to have to fill in a US tax return. It is worth the UK staying separate just to avoid that.

goinggreyagain Tue 31-Dec-13 00:44:01

Sleepy I am actually a huge fan of the NHS, my point was that your really can't compare US healthcare to the NHS you can only compare the US system to the private in the UK iykwim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now