First rule of FB - DO NOT POST anything on it ever.

(97 Posts)
ashamedoverthinker Fri 27-Dec-13 11:13:21

What the fucking fuck can you post without being criticised for it? Tell me what the actual fucking fuck are you 'allowed'

I'm so fed up of FB complaints on here I'm shooting sparks across this very keyboard. I am smoking and YES <roars> I need to calm the fuck down.

Why do people join a social networking site (key fucking thing this) and then complain when people network on it (the bastards sharing their fucking lives with you) I mean get the fuck off it then. Don't join - make sure you blank them in the street too if thats what you think of their lives.

Some people just dont like to see other people happy.

SnakeyMcBadass Fri 27-Dec-13 11:37:02

Hear bloody hear <applause> I'm always baffled by FB threads here, I mean, it's not compulsory to have ninety billion friends, or indeed to use it at all.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Fri 27-Dec-13 11:37:18

Yes, Ashamed, I totally agree! Never hear anyone moaning about FB except on MN. More tedious than any over sharing statuses or vague booking.

We need to start an initiation procedure for FB on a par with Fight Club, some will have to stand out in the rain for several days before being allowed to join.

But for the rest, The first rule about Facebook is you don't talk about Facebook.

The second rule about FaceBook is you don't talk about Facebook.

SomethingkindaOod Fri 27-Dec-13 11:40:28

Friend cull every 3 months. It's the only way to go. Racist, sexist or offensive posts gets an automatic deletion there and then but if I find that certain people are just gradually getting on my tits then they get a few chances before I delete them. I have one on her last chance at the moment...

GoodNewsGrinch Fri 27-Dec-13 11:41:02

I think it's fine to post anything you like on the condition that there is no 'motive' behind it, ie. you haven't posted in order to make others feel bad, guilty, jealous, paranoid. And nothing cryptic. If the people on your 'friends' list fall into the category of proper friends and family then you wouldn't have a need to do any if these things anyway, and if you did, you'd have to question your own motives.

I said it on the other thread but there's a world of difference between saying 'we're really pleased to announce our engagement' and 'wow! Look at the size if this diamond! Luckiest girl in the world! I'm soooooo loved! Look at me! Look at me! I know you're all soooo jealous of my fab life!'.

I only use Facebook because all my friends use it to set up events etc. and they won't remember to include you if you're not on there (as I've found). Doesn't mean I have to like everything everyone says on there but again, it only bothers me if there is a motivation behind it.

I think the litmus test is to ask 'would you say this in RL'? If you wouldn't, then it's probably going to irk people on Facebook too. I can't stand uber boastful people in RL. Why would I then start enjoying seeing that behaviour online?

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 27-Dec-13 11:43:40

I agree Op, if all those fucking Facebook haters out there don't like people's posts why are they friends? Delete theme all.
I've loved seeing my DN's pile of presents for her two young kids and their pictures, I never see them as they're at the other end of the country, I love seeing people's holidays, because they're friends and family that I've chosen.
If you don't like seeing posts on Facebook get some new fucking mates.

GoodNewsGrinch Fri 27-Dec-13 11:46:59

Facebook is like fight club in that you can't complain about Facebook on facebook.

I avoid Facebook at times when I know it's likely to make me feel jealous etc because things are hard for me at the time. However, I don't see the harm in people coming on here and complaining that they feel bad about posts on Facebook. They're not complaining about Facebook
Itself I think, more about the people that are posting on it. F the equivalent behaviour was being displayed in RL, then they'd get a lt more sympathy I think.

Tailtwister Fri 27-Dec-13 11:47:26

I don't like Facebook, so I don't use it.

YANBU OP. People shouldn't complain about people using Facebook as it was intended, to share information. As long as people don't put photos of my family onto it, I don't care. Each to their own I say.

Sallyingforth Fri 27-Dec-13 11:59:05

Op is not talking about her FB.
She is ranting about the millions of threads on here that moan about FB.
^ Just that ^
I don't use the vile sordid stinking anti-social shitheap that is FB. I can communicate perfectly well with friends around the world using email and a file-sharing site for pictures. My private interests and activities are not tracked and sold by FB's owner.
But then I come on here and find all the FB rubbish anyway!
Complaints about FB are inevitable, given human nature, but they should stay on FB and not be allowed to pollute other sites.
<end of rant>

YANBU I couldn't care less what people post. Just hide people who irritate you. I have hidden my SIL as her updates irritate the Hell out of me.

MrsDavidBowie Fri 27-Dec-13 12:06:50

I have a FB account from the days when I would stalk the children. However I don't post anything and there is no info about me.

I am not interested enough in friends/relatives lives. If I want to know something I talk to them.

I do love reading a good FB rant. Like this one grin

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 27-Dec-13 12:12:53

I tried to stalk my ds MrsDB but he's blocked me fgrin
He's 18 now and at uni and I'd love to know what he's up to but he says he doesn't use it any more, no one of his age does. fhmm.

usualsuspect Fri 27-Dec-13 12:15:20

It's a bit last year FB.

It's all about Tumblr,Instagram and Twitter these days.

MrsDavidBowie Fri 27-Dec-13 12:16:09

Mine were only 13. Very interesting reading it was grin

Not so much what they wrote but what their friends did. I loved mentioning it to their friends when they came round.
" Fred, if you're going to swear on FB at least spell it properly".

Now they're older, FB is very old hat.

ashamedoverthinker Fri 27-Dec-13 12:20:39

I was criticised and questioned on another thread for stating I thanked my husband for doing something for me on FB. I dared to use FB to communicate and in a nice way.

Yes I am referring to the crap spouted on here about FB, no where else do I here such complaints maybe a raised eyebrow or two at certain posts.

I've wondered if the complaints on MN about FB are what people are too scare to say in RL and thus post them on here.

I agree with this below BUT do you not see the paradox - is this what MN does just using a different type of virtual platform? Yet people come on MN to criticise it happening on FB?

YANBU. Don't post anything sad, you might bring people down. Don't post anything happy, there are people suffering. Don't post about people who have died, they can't read it. Don't post achievements, you are boasting. Don't post about pregnancy, there are people who can't get pregnant. Don't post about your family, BORING! Don't post about presents, you are smug. Don't post about lack of presents, you are being competitively frugal. Don't post about first world problems, there are people dying all over the world.

Dumpylump Fri 27-Dec-13 12:20:45

I always wonder at the FB threads on here too. My FB friends are my actual friends and family, spread far and wide all over the world. There is no one on there who posts things that make me angry or upset, because they wouldn't be my friends if they behaved in a way that made me angry or upset!
Just delete, block and move on, if you don't like what someone on your newsfeed has to say.

eurochick Fri 27-Dec-13 12:26:23

"I really enjoy using FB, but then I have only got interesting and likeable people as friends. We also seem to share a sense of humour, and a lack of jealousy and paranoia.
I don't understand the infighting either, but then I'm not a soap opera fan."

^This. I have mature friends, spread around the world. I find FB a useful way to keep up with them. They don't argue on FB. They don't aim PA posts at one another. Only one posted a boasty present stack photo this Christmas. It's all good.

daisychain01 Fri 27-Dec-13 12:30:01

I like this thread. More fucks to the half hundred weight than any other thread.

Can we have a new category when they change back from Am I being Unseasonable called Am I being Fuckin Un-fuckin-reasonable?

GoodNewsGrinch Fri 27-Dec-13 12:30:47

But MN is very different from FB in that it is a bunch of anonymous strangers so to a certain degree it doesn't matter what is posted. Also, there is a culture here where people are pulled up in 'bad' behaviour. I've certainly seen many pulled up for 'boasting' and where people want to boast, they qualify their post by saying so. So boasting is not acceptable here either. This is a support site, not a platform to make others jealous.

I only have close friends on my friends list. You'd think that would make me immune from irritating posts but my friends in turn have hundreds of acquaintances who they are trying to 'impress'. What they probably forget it that their 'proper' friends are reading everything too. The worst offences are when I see one if my friends completely showing off about their fantastic lives when I know full well it's all lies. Obviously they have issues if they feel the need to do this. I don't get angry at these beyond feeling like my friends are liars. I don't much like liars.

lljkk Fri 27-Dec-13 12:37:49

YANBU

Sallyingforth Fri 27-Dec-13 12:44:49

For those who don't know, or can't be bothered to look, MN already has a Talk section for FB, here: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/facebook

I do wish that MN Towers would make this more prominent, and perhaps encourage people to use that dedicated area for discussion of FB instead of other areas like AIBU.

NewtRipley Fri 27-Dec-13 13:44:08

I am not on FB, not interested. I imagine the problem comes when you accept people as friends whom you DON'T ACTUALLY LIKE.

NewtRipley Fri 27-Dec-13 13:44:54

Or what Dumpylump said

jchocchip Fri 27-Dec-13 14:01:05

I think that there should be a law that people don't start posting RIP on people's timelines before their families have had 24/48 hours to ring round all of the close family. It is shocking to hear of death on facebook. Other stuff, happy faces, Mum's in hospital beds, keeping in touch with extended family, nice looking food, holiday snaps, good news, bad news, what's not to like?

mrsjay Fri 27-Dec-13 14:05:37

you add the people you like you delete the people you dont i like seeing pictures and comments and even folks moans and groans <shrug>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now