Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

still got this weird sore tongue virus!

(31 Posts)
ditsydoll Thu 26-Dec-13 23:58:34

So Dd got a sore tongue about 10 days ago, also has a cough, tongue ulcers and a sore throat.
I got exactly the same symptoms and have been suffering for about 5 days now. Yesterday Dh got a sore tongue and now poor little ds.
Hand foot and mouth maybe?
No sores on hands or feet though. Just painful ulcers on tip and sides of tongue. Will be off to the docs tomorrow to see what he thinks.
Anyone had this?

Silvercatowner Fri 27-Dec-13 00:03:08

Why do you need to go to the dr?

HOMEQCRICH Fri 27-Dec-13 00:04:26

Because she has had ulcers on her tongue for 5 days??

Silvercatowner Fri 27-Dec-13 00:05:43

Well I can tell you now.... he'll say it's a virus and come back in a week if it's no better.

ditsydoll Fri 27-Dec-13 00:06:43

No, she's had a sore tongue and throat for 10 days and the mouth sores are reoccuring. All blisters had dissapeared and today she had more. She's got a cough with it and we've all seemed to catch it. Just wanted to see if it was HFMD or something else really.

fusspot66 Fri 27-Dec-13 00:06:59

yes. last summer had hand foot &mouth but it was all mouth. hands & feet were speckled and felt burnt but mouth tongue throat were agony. i was gurgling with soluble ibuprofen which really helped (we were in Spainvsitting family)
i feel your pain!

ditsydoll Fri 27-Dec-13 00:09:30

Isnt it awful fusspot!

LUKYMUM Fri 27-Dec-13 00:11:56

Difflam mouthwash is great for adults. Anaesthetic. I'm not sure if it's suitable for kids. Have you tried gargling with salt water, vitamins and tonics?

MsPickle Fri 27-Dec-13 00:12:09

We've had similar here but don't think it's handfootmouth as we've had that before. Seems to be lingering but not worsening. It's a bugger though.

Lilacroses Fri 27-Dec-13 00:16:07

Ouch! That sounds really painful, no help with a diagnosis but hope you feel better soon

Lilacroses Fri 27-Dec-13 00:16:27

Ouch! That sounds really painful, no help with a diagnosis but hope you feel better soon

Lilacroses Fri 27-Dec-13 00:16:27

Lilacroses Fri 27-Dec-13 00:18:08

Sorry! No idea why the post multiplied!

ditsydoll Fri 27-Dec-13 00:18:51

Yeah MsPickle, noy worsening but not getting any better either. Poor DD has had it for 10-12 days (she had mentioned her mouth being abit sore a few days before I had realised she was unwell but thought she had maybe hurt her tongue)

ditsydoll Fri 27-Dec-13 00:19:47

Thanks Lila, it's awful. Iv had ulcers before when run down but this is different. My whole mouth is agony.

ditsydoll Fri 27-Dec-13 00:21:01

Thanks LUKYMUM will have to try mouthwash.

LUKYMUM Fri 27-Dec-13 00:35:25

Ask for the one I which is kept in the Dispensary. It's bigger and sometimes better value for money.

BarHumbugBeasty Fri 27-Dec-13 07:43:53

SIL had it. Really, really bad. Her Dr gave her medicine based on it being a virus and bacterial and sent off a swab, but that hasn't come back.

Unless it was a coincidence, swilling it in salt water as hot as a cup of tea really helped.

kazza446 Fri 27-Dec-13 07:56:48

Oraldene mouthwash is very good and I think kids can use it. I used to suffer with something called strawberry tongue when younger and this is what they prescribed for me.

gimcrack Fri 27-Dec-13 08:20:32

Adults can gargle with soluble aspirin to help the pain.

Theodorous Fri 27-Dec-13 08:24:06

Why the sarcastic quip about seeing a doctor? I know the UK healthcare is shit but surely it hasn't reached the stge of not seeing a doctor f you re ill? Bloody mental.

I don't know why people put up with that. I had hand foot and mouth a year ago and still get ulcers when run own. I usually get something on prescription for it and it clears. Kenalog cream is brilliant for te actual ulcers.

moonbells Fri 27-Dec-13 08:39:40

I'm glad I read this. I've had a tongue something for weeks, feels sore and enlarged and have bumps on the side, and I have a sore throat as well some evenings. Finally went to GP a week ago and he said it was viral and go get Difflam as it's anaesthetic and anti-inflammatory.

Seems to have helped but not gone yet. It's helpful to know something's going round and others have it.

I have previously had HF&M when DS had it as a toddler and this definitely isn't the same thing.

technodad Fri 27-Dec-13 08:44:08

This is what you want: http://www.corsodyl.co.uk

It works really well got my DP.

Do did you get a dry mouth and furry tongue before the ulcers started? It might be triggered by an oral thrush infection.

Dr may give steroids to get rid of it, but not until after the thrush has gone (if that is what it is), since the thrush will thrive on the steroids too!

kali110 Fri 27-Dec-13 08:55:18

Yes i get something like this every year or so. Temp and ulcers like blisters all in mouth and throat. Gets so bad i cant eat or drink. For people who dont think its bad my doc nearly hospitalised me as i was so dehydrated. Iv got antibiotics on repeat for when it comes on. Mine lasts for two weeks. Its touture.

ditsydoll Fri 27-Dec-13 12:37:38

Just to update, docs said it's a bacterial infection and has put us all on anti bs. Dd has enlarged tonsils and swollen lymph nodes. Glad I took her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now