To feel I am constantly fighting a battle against "stuff"

(225 Posts)
Notcontent Thu 26-Dec-13 23:39:07

I should preface this by saying that i don't have a big house. Just a standard 3 bedroom.

But I feel like I am constantly putting things away, rearranging stuff to find new inventive ways to fit things in and in general trying to keep clutter to a minimum. Of course my dd is a huge contributor to the problem. I sometimes feel like things breed and multiply in her room!! grin

I did a quick post Christmas Day tidy up today and already have a bag of stuff to take to the charity shop (to make room for new things).

If you don't have a huge house with masses of storage, how do you cope?

Bakingnovice Thu 02-Jan-14 08:12:08

I moved house a few months ago and in the buildup to move I got rid if loads. I started slowly, holding on to everything. But by the third week literally everything that needed binning/sellings/charity was going in the bin bag. I felt completely liberated. What I could be bothered to eBay got me over £100.

My new house is bigger and I still have 1.5 black bags to eBay eBay but have told myself if they are still there by Easter they will be sent to charity shop. I culled hundreds of books and loads of plates/cups etc. I am planning on going through every wardrobe this month and getting rid of those clothes that slipped through the net the first time. In my new house I have made sure that every wardrobe and cupboard has at least 30% spare storage. You just have to be utterly ruthless and never ever ever replace items you bin with similar items.

bragmatic Thu 02-Jan-14 10:39:58

I have committed to getting rid of 10 things every day until I feel de-cluttered. No other criteria. Just 'things'. Big or small.

ARealPickle Thu 02-Jan-14 12:40:49

Just made a mega train track so we can pass on the excess that doesn't fit in one box.

Tree away in loft last night.

On a roll!

maparole Thu 02-Jan-14 13:34:02

“If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”
― William Morris

wink

ARealPickle Thu 02-Jan-14 19:05:30

Sorted a box of books, the pj drawer, dress ups. ...

Why does the house look like a tornado had hit it???

BeaWheesht Thu 02-Jan-14 19:24:44

We've just come back from holiday and all the Christmas stuff is just so overwhelming. I'm not well today but am hoping over the weekend I can get going....

Twoandtwohalves Thu 02-Jan-14 20:53:53

I love this thread. We've taken out a storage unit for 6 months to decant the loft into while it gets properly wired, insulated and boarded. I think psychologically DH & I can deal better with spending £1000 pretending we want the stuff before it goes than just chucking it straight from the loft into a skip.

We're also in a 3 bed and I'd really like my two DSs to have their own rooms. One bedroom is a shrine to dh's useless old shit collections and I am slowly convincing him the stuff worth having can go in the loft when complete. But it's such a slow process. In the meantime I am inspired to haver a go at the tea service, drinks cabinet, kitchen drawers full of stuff we don't use.

ARealPickle Thu 02-Jan-14 22:02:20

Starting to clean the fridge and tin cupboard at 10 is completely normal isn't it. ....

I'm wondering if there's time to do the tupperware drawer too. ..

Just got rid of a bag of old curtains thanks to Freecycle. Also a bag of DD's old clothes is going to a friend tomorrow.

No matter how many books I remove from the shelves, we still seem to have hundreds confused. I blame bookworm DS (7) who seems to have received the contents of a small library for Christmas...

ARealPickle Thu 02-Jan-14 22:10:14

I'm really trying to work on the books. We've similar expanded over Christmas but they can't read all of them all the time, and librarys and Amazon exist. And it's good to pass them on so they get read more. ...

I keep reminding myself!

ARealPickle Thu 02-Jan-14 23:46:26

Fridge properly cleaned. Under sink cleaned for first time on forever. Cutlery drawer and tupperware now have to wait for tomorrow zzz

ItsIgginningToLookALotLikeXmas Fri 03-Jan-14 16:02:41

We have a small storage room. I'd agree to be careful what you keep in it to be sure it's worth while, but we view the cost as an extension on our mortgage - not all flats come with gardens for sheds or lofts or cellars or even decent cupboards! Paying for a 3 bed house and then using one room as a glory hole isn't any different really. <Convincing myself>

silverten Fri 03-Jan-14 16:11:45

I think that is probably the best way of thinking of your storage, tbh.

ItsIgginningToLookALotLikeXmas Fri 03-Jan-14 16:17:58

It was a great place to store Santa presents in! But, a short term solution compared to actually getting rid of the stuff.. I couldn't get rid of ds1's clothes for example as was still hoping for a dc2 (who thankfully - eventually! - arrived) but I am cheerfully getting rid of all ds2's clothes as he grows out of them. My own wardrobe otoh..

Letitsnow9 Fri 03-Jan-14 18:04:43

Look up 365 things less, it's a good way to declutter without feeling overwhelmed. I agree to a point that you need good storage but don't fall into the trap of always needing more storage rather than tackling the clutter

CremeEggThief Fri 03-Jan-14 20:28:29

Concur with letitsnow.

skyblue11 Fri 03-Jan-14 22:08:52

Every time I look in out loft I have a mini panic attack, overwhelming.
I try not to put anything up there unless is absolutely has to, out of sight and all that.
What I have particular difficulty with is my sentimentality. Like the old suitcase that was Dads how can I get over this?

Losthearts Fri 03-Jan-14 23:46:43
Housemum Sat 04-Jan-14 21:15:50

I struggle with the sentimental, but am beginning to come round to the idea of taking pictures of important things. I had only one item of my baby stuff, a cotton nightgown, which I was too PFB with DD1 o put her in it, didn't do it for DD2 either and before I had DD3 a mouse had got into the box - the only thing left to identify it were a few threads of the embroidered bunnies. I now wish I had just shoved one of the girls in it and taken some pics before taking it off and letting them use it as dolls' clothing.

If your Dad's suitcase is attractive can it be used ornamentally in a room? Or as storage? If it isn't then take pics and get rid. Easy for me to say not knowing you or him or what it means to you.

CheshirePanda Mon 06-Jan-14 19:41:40

Don't make the mistake of asking your DP if he needs or wants useless item X. Horders always say yes and get cross when you bin it anyway! Much better to quietly disappear it....he will probably never realise with the small items.

regular and ruthless culls of socks / pants / t-shirts etc, twice a year. Anything threadbare or holey gets the chop.

Group together like items to prove the point you have duplicates....faced with 6 mid sized suitcases (or whatever) you are in a stronger position to get rid of several.

A friend cunningly removes one old magazine from the bottom of the pile when the new one arrives. No arguments with DH and everyone is happy.

ARealPickle Tue 07-Jan-14 23:06:14

I'm still going. Haven't managed to do it "all" in 4days BUT

Have managed to make a new "system" for bills, store old bills in a box file in the loft, all documents now sorted, in a plastic wallet and in a magazine file thing. That took most of a day. We've moved house lots and it took a while...

I've also made a start on the study. We have a 2.5 bedroom house and the .5 is the study (we work from home between us). However, its also the place where "things" have ended up and there was SO MUCH.

I've made a HUGE decision to bin all the "craft" stuff. I used to collect pretty paper, buy scrapbooking supplies etc but honestly in the last 7 years I've not done a thing with it. I've kept one shoebox worth for the DC to play with and a few stampers and been quite ruthless with the other bits. We just don't have the space.

I'm toying with a knitting magazine collection I thought I'd "return" to... but keeping that for now.

I really don't have any hobbies post DC.... I need some but I'll face that when I come to it.

I have a job interview this week and I need some inportant documents (hence the document sort) although now I should be planning rather than decluttering the rest of the study...

It is truly amazing how much space I'm freeing up (we have a tiny tiny home, so every small drawer or bit of shelf space is precious) and also how freeing it feels, and how lovely it is to have less clutter.

I guess it just starts post uni... and doesn't stop? But who I am now is not who I was then and I don't need the same things.

Whatnamenext Wed 08-Jan-14 13:54:18

Yep. Same here.

Just brutal. Passed loads on to someone for fundraising.

Love how much better I feel.

remotecontrols Mon 03-Feb-14 20:42:12

Thought I would bump this to see how everyone is getting on. I was quite inspired by this post and have got rid of a lot of clutter. I always felt my house was too small, but the reality I had filled my house with too much stuff and not stuff I really wanted. I still have more to do but it is encouraging to start to see space appear and finally get stuff of the floor!

rabbitlady Mon 03-Feb-14 21:12:26

stuff. oh yes.

missymayhemsmum Mon 03-Feb-14 21:19:46

oh goodness, me too.
Two grown up kids who left me all their 'precious' stuff and all their useless shit when they went to Uni, (and then complain the house is cluttered when they come home!!) small one who creates trailes of pinks sparkly tat, gets given too much stuff at Xmas and won't get rid of anything, all my stuff too. yearsworth of hobbies, projects, folders, and general stuff!
I only cope with it by ebaying, freecycling, charity shop trips and dump trips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now