Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask you if there's something under my deck?

(63 Posts)
AwfulMaureen Thu 26-Dec-13 20:18:29

The dog keeps sort of tracking something under the deck at night. Always about this time of night...she sniffs the boards and then appears to be following "something" around as it moves about beneath....I can't see under it or access it really....there's a bit of a gap at the sides but you can't peer under or anything.

I can't stand the thought of setting traps....would it be mice do you think? Or something....bigger? confused

I can't be calling out any exterminators to check...they;ll kill things...what if anything should I do? The deck leads directly off my French windows into the sitting room...we sometimes leave bin bags of rubbish there when the outside bin is full...not for long...about a day or two at most...could this have brought meeces?

SillyMillyOnAHilly Fri 27-Dec-13 10:17:54

You really do have to kill them. Phone you council and see what they advice different councils have different policies.
Rats are everywhere but if you know they are so close to the house you really need to do something.

BohemianGirl Fri 27-Dec-13 09:32:31

You need to deal with them.

curlew Fri 27-Dec-13 09:06:42

Rats. Seriously, get traps or put poison down before they move into the house. Which they will.

AwfulMaureen Fri 27-Dec-13 09:01:31

Well I've just been out and looked around and seen a sort of entrance hole on the side...some stones have been shifted and moved to make a hole....rat sized. sad

IsThatTrue Fri 27-Dec-13 07:50:50

I think the council only charge for the first visit and come back until the buggers have gone. Although not. 100% as ours is all sorted by the estate agent and landlord.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 26-Dec-13 22:49:29

Some people do keep exotic snakes though, which can be more problematical. I understand the reaction though I agree it's a shame.

Hey, there's a thought, can you borrow a constrictor for your rats?

AwfulMaureen Thu 26-Dec-13 22:26:01

We don't even have deadly snakes in the Uk...no need to kill it even if it were an adder. sad

howitis Thu 26-Dec-13 21:51:34

Awful only because I truly thought it was a snake, never seen one before and was worried for DD playing in the garden sad

Gatekeeper Thu 26-Dec-13 21:46:41

I agree with others that you have rats. They love decking as it's nice and safe and sheltered

Pixel Thu 26-Dec-13 21:42:46

Next door to us definitely has rats under their decking, I've seen them. They are big ones! I would say if you build decking then expect rats!

SillyMillyOnAHilly Thu 26-Dec-13 21:38:48

I would put some rat traps or rat poison down. Check all your drains are secure and that none of the manhole covers are broken or ill fitting.
I would have a good tidy up of the garden area and try to make sure to reduce the places that rats could live. I would also check your air bricks are in good condition.

Rats are revolting.

AwfulMaureen Thu 26-Dec-13 21:38:38

Winky ours isn't slippery ever...its grooved...

how oh WHY did he kill it poor thing!

MrsDeVere Thu 26-Dec-13 21:38:00

I have heard tell of a race of crocodile pig mutants....
Do you live near a sewer?

Dillydollydaydream Thu 26-Dec-13 21:37:04

Ah crap we have decking, hope no ratty families are squatting under ours!

Faithless12 Thu 26-Dec-13 21:32:03

We found a frog under our decking along with huge mutant (maybe not mutant just huge) spiders. Our dog hated the decking but she was a nervous dog.

howitis Thu 26-Dec-13 21:29:05

Raffle I know!!
Was about half a metre in length hanging from a BBQ skewer after DH killed it, then googled and discovered they are protected species, oops!

winkywinkola Thu 26-Dec-13 21:28:14

I hate decking. Slippery and and dangerous in winter. We had rats under ours. We had no rubbish lying around or anything. It's just a good shelter for them. I had pleasure in ripping up and burning the decking.

Rats.

MoreBeta Thu 26-Dec-13 21:27:36

AwfulMaureen - that's almost exactly what happens. The mother rat leaves the babies there under the decking and goes to hunt for food. Daddy rat is a bit of a love rat and is driven off by mummy rat as he would eat her babies.

Most rats die by being eaten by other rats.

givemeaclue Thu 26-Dec-13 21:27:25

Council rodent man told me rats love decking

givemeaclue Thu 26-Dec-13 21:26:38

Had rats under mine, call the council

AwfulMaureen Thu 26-Dec-13 21:25:07

Lol they're legless lizards...really, really cute....

raffle Thu 26-Dec-13 21:22:42

how I just google imaged 'slow worm'. Wtf?! That IS a snake!

AwfulMaureen Thu 26-Dec-13 21:19:28

Do exterminators charge though? Not much cash spare...

IsThatTrue Thu 26-Dec-13 21:16:33

I bet rats. We have decking (rented house) and we have rats sad and they keep coming back sad I can't wait to move!

Call the exterminators before they find a way into your house, it's not nice having rats in your house, voice of experience here!

southeastastra Thu 26-Dec-13 21:14:48

will prob be mice, we have some that visit the rabbits, even in this weather

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now