To think 'be greatful for what you get' has it's limits

(32 Posts)
meanddog Wed 25-Dec-13 21:49:31

Fairly complicated family on husbands side, often a feeling of bias towards DS cousins compared to him but ignore as much as possible. DH is technically a stepson to FIL but never seemed to be a problem.
However, today DS and his two cousins were given gifts by FIL brother (so not blod relation to us but again never highlighted)
DS unwraps small toy, nice. Cousins unwrap much larger toys, brand names etc.
DS toy breaks on first use. Look it up on the website of toy store to ensure can return and find cost less than two quid. Stupidly look up cousins gifts to find cost 15 times as much!!
Yes I should be grateful he got a gift but should I be grateful it's crap and broken and blatantly an after thought.
Add in the fact DS has been failing all day for attention from MIL and the fact that several cards given to both us and SIL at sametime contained money for them and sod-all for us and it adds up to a crappy Christmas feeling

LineRunner Thu 26-Dec-13 14:57:21

Differential treatment of children so blatantly at Christmas is pathetic.

quesadilla Thu 26-Dec-13 15:35:29

YANBU and I would be pissed off too at the gross disparity. A few quid more or less is one thing but such a huge difference just suggests a lack of care.

On the other hand I'm not sure you can really win by saying anything as it will probably be interpreted as pettiness.

BerryChristmas Thu 26-Dec-13 17:25:16

"grateful" not "greatful".

SuperScrimper Thu 26-Dec-13 18:45:50

Your son is the older mans step nephew. Do you really expect a present for your son of equal to his blood nephews? It would never occur to me to expect that.

StrainingWaistband Thu 26-Dec-13 19:13:54

Well done BerryChristmas; I'm sure the OP really appreciates your helpful post. I for one am comforted that the spelling and grammar police operate regardless of bank holidays hmm

LineRunner Thu 26-Dec-13 19:21:33

And the 'blood nephew' police, too. Well done. Must make those children feel so much happier.

meanddog Thu 26-Dec-13 20:30:07

Thanks for those who posted helpful comments.
I realise saying something is not worth the grief.
Sometimes you have to bite your tounge so hard it bleeds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now