Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be a bit sad that I didn't get any presents...

(27 Posts)
ArtemisatBrauron Wed 25-Dec-13 11:42:56

even though I agreed it with DH ages ago? We decided not to get gifts this year as we both have a history of going overboard and we are trying to be better with money. In hindsight, it might have been less grinchy better to agree on a small budget for some token gifts because I woke up feeling a bit sad at the empty space under the tree! I know I am lucky to be healthy, have nice things to eat and have a nice DH etc but I do feel a bit sad...
come on, tell me I am being a materialistic idiot and need a grip!

superstarheartbreaker Wed 25-Dec-13 19:31:09

Am I the only person who thinks it lovely to buy the one you love a token gesture such as a bottle of wine/ cheese/ smelliest even if you don't do a big gift? Needn't cost much. This thread reminds me why I will never make such agreements with people not to exchange gifts. It doesn't have to be big but the thought is nice.

purplebaubles Wed 25-Dec-13 19:39:24

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get any presents either!

DD got 5. I've had to hide most people's updates on FB today, with their posts about diamond rings and huge piles of presents for their children!

Things are very financially tight at the minute, we just couldn't afford it. But we've still had a super day!

It's not all about presents. This year, nothing. Maybe next year, we'll have won the lottery! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now