To be a bit sad that friends are replacing their Christmas cards with charity donations?

(32 Posts)
BigBirthdayGloom Tue 24-Dec-13 23:09:25

I'm glad the charity gets the money, obviously. But increasingly, cards to individuals with a couple of catch up lines or even more, have been replaced by an e-card to everyone. I miss the personal touch. Even a couple of lines of an email would be lovely.

SinisterBuggyMonth Thu 26-Dec-13 00:08:05

Yanbu, I've seen these announcements on Facebook and I do find it slightly sanctimonious. If you don't want to send cards don't, why the need to share this info with all your friends on Facebook, not just the ones you would normally send cards to ( unless you seriously intended to send all your FBI friends cards)?

SinisterBuggyMonth Thu 26-Dec-13 00:09:20

FB friends!

And all those FBI friends obviously...

Mrswellyboot Thu 26-Dec-13 00:13:11

I just hate FB shite silly posts, though I don't mind them saying they are donating to charity of it means more people do.

I like real cards, real contact. I would prefer a telephone call or visit than a virtual happy Christmas.

ashtrayheart Thu 26-Dec-13 00:20:25

I don't do cards apart from to immediate family - but I don't make a donation to charity either! (I don't mean ever, just not instead of buying cards).

ravenAK Thu 26-Dec-13 00:37:03

I struggle a bit to understand the objection to a quick post on FB, tbh.

I assume that anyone on my FB friend list vvho normally expects a card from us vvill see my post & think 'Fair enough' (or possibly be miffed, but hey ho) & anyone vvho doesn't vvill ignore, just like I've been ignoring pictures of people's grandads in vvonky paper crovvns all day - if it's not of interest you just scroll past it, surely?

I don't think it's sanctimonious to share a link to a charity - my FB feed is frequently full of people doing just that because they're doing a fundraising event, donating, or just making people avvare of the existence of a cause they think merits support.

Unless people are posting in the hopes of pats on the head, vvhich seems unlikely vvhen you're basically saying 'I vvas going to spend £20 on stamps but I've given it to the cats' home' - you haven't made any extra effort, in fact you've saved yourself a job!

Mellowandfruitful Thu 26-Dec-13 00:42:04

Call me cynical, but I wonder how many of the people who say they are donating to charity instead actually do, as opposed to using it as an excuse not to do cards? (Company on this thread excepted, of course...)

I still like doing cards, and buy charity ones so it comes out the same, plus I recycle them with the Woodland Trust so trees get planted as a result. Agree with whoever said the price of postage is the most offputting factor - it is for me.

differentnameforthis Thu 26-Dec-13 02:09:15

It costs me $3 to send a card to the UK at Christmas. I have family /friends in the UK, so am looking at, at least 20 cards.

Sending an email/ecard = $0.

My family are happy for me to send emails etc, because they know how much it costs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now