To think that a vast proportion of umsnetters are not having the Christmas they would like?

(90 Posts)

They are either-

Going to other peoples' houses that they don't want to go to, and eat food they don't want to eat with people they don't want to speak to.

or

Having people round that they don't want round, who tell them what they want to eat (and when) and they don't want to speak to.

confused grin

MaryzBoychildCheeszuzCrizpz Wed 25-Dec-13 09:29:06

Tee, I think fut was saying that the minor whingers seemed insensitive to those who have lost loved ones, not the other way around.

I don't think that's anyone's intention, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Usually my Christmas is like that. But this year after going no contact with my mother 6 months ago we decided to go away for Christmas. So we've rented a cottage and its just me, DH, dd1 & 2 and DSD. Its fantastic! We're staying in our PJ's all day, watching TV, kids playing with their toys and eating lots and lots of food. No where to go and no one we have to please. fgrin

MidniteScribbler Wed 25-Dec-13 10:08:45

I had the christmas I wanted, with my DS and an elderly aunt, which is all the family that we have. We slept in, had a late lunch and spent the afternoon in the pool with a bottle of Moet and the dogs. I would have loved for my parents to still be with us and to spend the day, but sadly it was not to be, so I just enjoyed what we had. I have spent many years upset over what I don't have, and it's taken me many years to appreciate that Christmas day can be what I make of it.

FutTheShuckUp Wed 25-Dec-13 10:33:49

Exactly Maryz.
Ive seen people on here whining about cards, presents that are not to their liking, in laws, not getting a lie in etc whereas some people will be 'celebrating' their last christmas or first one without a loved one. I know all problems are relevant to the person suffering but sometimes a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss

moldingsunbeams Wed 25-Dec-13 10:48:58

I would like to be on a beach in the sun however I am with family and my mum is rather poorly so taking each Christmas as it comes because who knows what happens next year.

Mary, someone always has it worse than everyone else. That's life.

That doesn't mean people aren't allowed to whinge about their own lives.

That's also life.

Our Christmas sucks. Kids got a tummy bug a few days beforehand. I was ill until Xmas Eve so we had to miss the big family Polish Xmas Eve and postpone Christmas dinner, which I cook, till Boxing Day. Finally thought we were all okay and going to have a good day... And now it is 6am and my husband is throwing up. Another 48 hours minimum before we can do all the family things we love. And one child hasn't been sick yet...

Im on my own, was going to enjoy a nice chilled day with my dogs but my oldie daisy could only manage half her walk as the pins in her front leg are going. Its become apparent this will be our last bit of time together so feeling very teary.

HerculaPoirot Wed 25-Dec-13 11:51:32

It's not ideal for us as DH has been called in for nightshift (emergency services). However, for the first time ever, it's just the three of us for Christmas morning. We are watching Santa themed films, eating selection boxes and I'm the only one dressed yet.

We will have a light lunch at about one, then head off, me to my family (I'd rather stay home but my brother is home with his family for first time in four years) and DH to work.

Maybe next year we will get our Christmas. I'm still having fun though. Hope everyone else does too.

RodneyTheChristmasElf Wed 25-Dec-13 18:12:36

This is my first Christmas without my dad, doesn't stop me being annoyed/irritated by relatively minor stuff.

FanFuckingTastic Wed 25-Dec-13 22:45:58

I think having a moan is fair enough, I whinge about little things too, but I have gotten some perspective on how sometimes I was moaning about things that now I'd be grateful for, my step dad and I argued loads and I am sure I have had loads to say about that, but being without him now just makes me see how insignificant those little quarrels were. I let them be bigger in my own head, now I'd love to have him here, even if we had a Christmas day nag about the same old stuff.

YouTheCat Wed 25-Dec-13 22:56:30

I really don't get the whole 'I don't like this present' attitude at all, even if you get something worth a tenth of what someone else is given. It is the thought. Especially when there are those who have got bugger all because their dps haven't been bothered and that kind of thing.

JingleBrains Wed 25-Dec-13 23:06:16

YANBU hmm

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 25-Dec-13 23:22:36

Well I've had a lovely day and even been able to cater very well for a veggie who ate more than anyone else.

merryduckingchristmas Wed 25-Dec-13 23:47:28

This has officially been the worst Christmas ever.

There was a massive blown out of all proportion arguement this morning between my brother and sister which has split the family.

I don't usually drink but now find myself a little drunk very pissed off and wish to just curl into a ball and die

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now