To think these parents were rude

(80 Posts)
BeasofSnoozeberry Fri 20-Dec-13 17:28:05

Was at a little Xmas tea party today at our children's centre and a small group of mums spent the whole time LOUDLY warning their children off the lollipops, cake and crisps and saying things like "Oh darling, we don't eat nasty, sugary cakes" while also snidely bemoaning the lack of broccoli florets etc on offer. Bad enough but most of them came empty handed while other mums and dads made the effort to supply this evil fare. I actually felt quite upset, as I'd provided the Rudolph curly wurly antler cupcakes stealth boast which DS was really proud of and I thought everyone would like (yes that is a bit pathetic!).

I just hope some of them are reading and know that it was actually pretty mean and hurtful and probably says a lot more about them than it does about my 'terrible' parenting

Some people will always be idiots. Put it out of your mind and thank God you're not one of them!

RunRabbit Fri 20-Dec-13 17:30:41

They were.

Why didn't you say anything?

Sirzy Fri 20-Dec-13 17:31:06

They were being rude.

I would have stopped DS eating a lollipop (assuming as at childrens centre we are talking pre-school aged children?) but other than that it was rude, especially as it was other parents who had provided the food not the centre.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 20-Dec-13 17:31:35

You should have said to them if they didn't like the food they should have bought some bloody broccoli themselves instead of moaning!

Broccoli florets - really?? grin Sounds like a Kodak moment.

Were their precious princelings called Tarquin or Lavender? YABU to get upset. They sound unintentionally very funny.

BeasofSnoozeberry Fri 20-Dec-13 17:32:57

Run I'm usually pretty vocal but it was a kids' party, thought id leave them and their loud parenting to it. Oh well fucking done, Crispin's never seen a fucking chocolate button, look how confused he is! smile

BeasofSnoozeberry Fri 20-Dec-13 17:34:14

They were chocolate santa lollies. DS (2) adored them!

Kemmo Fri 20-Dec-13 17:35:03

My strategy is:

Look
Pause
Giggle

smile

BeasofSnoozeberry Fri 20-Dec-13 17:35:03

Disclaimer: they didn't say broccoli florets, that was dramatic licence. I think they said 'fruit and veg'

spanky2 Fri 20-Dec-13 17:35:18

I really don't understand the problem with dcs eating party food . Parties are for eating treats. Congrats on the yummy cakes . Never thought of curly wurly antlers .

woodlandwanderwoman Fri 20-Dec-13 17:35:48

They should have brought something and shouldn't have said it so pointedly and in ear shot, that was rude.

That said, I hate going to parties where DS is left bouncing off the walls from sugar and juice when actually he is just as happy with crisps, cherry tomatoes and a few mini cheeses.

usualsuspect Fri 20-Dec-13 17:35:54

I would have laughed at them.

reup Fri 20-Dec-13 17:36:40

Ooh what do curly wurly antler cakes look like.

I went to a preschool party once and one dad wouldn't let his kids have crisps biscuits etc but would let them have Capri sun! He then ate all the junk food in front of them!

usualsuspect Fri 20-Dec-13 17:36:54

I can't be doing with worthy parties.

BeasofSnoozeberry Fri 20-Dec-13 17:37:37

Cheese is good, tis like a downer to the uppers. I always pack babybel to dispense strategically post party!

LoveAndDeath Fri 20-Dec-13 17:38:41

They were rude. And twats.

YANBU. Do you have a photo of your Rudolph cakes - I'd love to make some with DD.

BeasofSnoozeberry Fri 20-Dec-13 17:41:31
RunRabbit Fri 20-Dec-13 17:41:52

BeasofSnoozeberry I'll happily devour your Rudolph curly wurly antler cupcakes.

You know, just to save your feelings wink

BeasofSnoozeberry Fri 20-Dec-13 17:42:31

Ha thanks run DP is happy there are a couple left!

TheHeadlessLadyofCannock Fri 20-Dec-13 17:45:36

They were being cunts. And you can't moan about the food if you haven't brought any yourself.

Your antler cakes are AWESOME.

Sirzy Fri 20-Dec-13 17:46:28

Ahh Santa lollies are good.

I would probably have taken fruit with me simply because a) DS is odd and doesn't eat most typical party foods and b) I would figure there would be loads of crisps and cakes and things so it would provide another option for those who wanted it.

HansieMom Fri 20-Dec-13 17:54:09

The Rudolph cupcakes are adorable! I'm going to the store and trying to find CurlyWorlies or a substitute for them as I am in the States.

GC coming in a few hours to decorate our tree. They will absolutely love to make these.

SleepPleaseSleep Fri 20-Dec-13 17:54:39

Oh dear. Some people are just up themselves aren't they.
We all know (surely) that sugary things are bad, and I really really try to avoid colourful things with additives , I double check kids yogurts and sweets and so on.
But if you go to a party you have to be a bit flexible. They could have brought along some nice grape kebabs or something instead of just criticising. And - I don't do much christmassing but however you look at it it's a special once a year treat, not about to give anyone cholesterol poisoning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now