To not make the kids do the homework?

(152 Posts)
LittleMissGerardButlersBaubles Thu 19-Dec-13 15:37:25

The head teacher at our school has sent a letter to every child (infants and juniors) with a homework task for the school holidays. It's a learning log which they are meant to complete with a theme.

There is a long letter saying the work must be very neat and tidy blah blah.

Am I unreasonable to not make my kids do it?

They get homework every week in school, and we do that.

I feel very disappointed with the head, I can't see many parents being happy!

mrsWast Thu 19-Dec-13 23:18:23

soooo, it's your perception of the requirement that's troubling you?

just get the kids to do what they can. takes an hour. everyone happy.

otherwise, if you're going to insist they won't do it, for goodness' sake don't tell them. it will backfire spectacularly when they're older.

LittleMissGerardButlersBaubles Thu 19-Dec-13 23:51:25

She seems very driven by targets, and yes they are important, but she doesn't seem to have the nurturing side.

The old head teacher, though she wasn't perfect, was very much the nurturing kind, and while she could be strict where necessary, you also felt she cared. There were stickers given out for hard work, and a lot more praise and encouragement.

Now it just feels like so long as targets are being met, that's all they need to worry about.

I just feel the school has changed a lot, and not for the better.

I have been to some parent information days, and have helped out in school, so am not just plucking things from thin air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now