To not make the kids do the homework?

(152 Posts)
LittleMissGerardButlersBaubles Thu 19-Dec-13 15:37:25

The head teacher at our school has sent a letter to every child (infants and juniors) with a homework task for the school holidays. It's a learning log which they are meant to complete with a theme.

There is a long letter saying the work must be very neat and tidy blah blah.

Am I unreasonable to not make my kids do it?

They get homework every week in school, and we do that.

I feel very disappointed with the head, I can't see many parents being happy!

FortyDoorsToNowhere Thu 19-Dec-13 17:06:19

So you can't take kids out of school for a holiday, and now the school want children to do home work in the holidays.

When do they get a chance to have a holiday.

wharfgirl Thu 19-Dec-13 17:06:28

I am astonished that the consensus should be that the work does not have to be done. Maybe it's generational thing. I'd be thanking God for a Head Teacher like that who actually wants to push kids to their limits. this society is failing because we do not acknowledge how hard and how competitive life is. If you let them off, your kids will know they do not need to take the teacher seriously. Anyway it doesn't exactly sound taxing

snowed Thu 19-Dec-13 17:09:49

> When do they get a chance to have a holiday.

Two weeks of 12-hour days totals 168 hours. This piece of work takes 2 hours.

Sirzy Thu 19-Dec-13 17:13:00

Wharf pushing kids to their limits is all well and good during term time. But children by this time of year are generally knackered and need a rest. The school should take this into account.

My nephew is in reception and has had 2 reading books sent home for "if you get a chance" and some bits to make a craft thing if you wish. No pressure to do anything.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 19-Dec-13 17:15:14

Yes and how long was that movie they watched in class? They could have done it then surely? And not had it over the holidays?

Idespair Thu 19-Dec-13 17:15:41

I'd do it, the HT has asked for it. You would be perfectly reasonable to write to the head stating your views on the matter and perhaps this would be reconsidered next holidays. But your dc have been asked to do it now. My dd would be upset if I prevented her from following instructions given by the head and I would not undermine the teachers.

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Thu 19-Dec-13 17:19:26

You can opt out of this, no homework is compulsory. I would be asking the point of this tbh. My dc rarely did any homework as parents we didn't see the point,

YouTheCat Thu 19-Dec-13 17:21:02

I managed to get through Primary in the 70s without every having homework (apart from spellings once a week in Juniors).

I work in a school that does just fine academically but doesn't set reams and reams of homework and certainly none in the holidays.

Why do children need to be constantly pushed? Why can't they just totally relax and enjoy their holiday without the pressure of homework? If you had 2 weeks off work would you be spending hours doing more work during that time?

Let the poor buggers be kids, just for 2 weeks.

LittleMissGerardButlersBaubles Thu 19-Dec-13 17:23:17

They are 6 and 7 though, and like I say any other holidays I wouldn't mind so much.

To give an example of wording she uses, the letter sent home about the nativity said in big bold letters, children must be back in school by 5.30pm, no please or anything. If it had said, please could all children be back in school by 5.30pm, then that is a polite tone.

I know it won't take long to do, but its principle, and I
Will send a very polite letter explaining why it wasn't done.

everlong Thu 19-Dec-13 17:24:01

It's TWO pissing hours over TWO weeks.

Listen to some of you.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 19-Dec-13 17:24:45

I'll ask again, if this was homework set by the HT and given to EVERYONE, ergo not an extension if any class topic or differentiated to individual children, just what is the point of ot?

wordfactory Thu 19-Dec-13 17:24:48

Is ten minutes a day, really pushing children to their limits? Really?

Phaush Thu 19-Dec-13 17:27:03

Theme: The Role of Friends, Family and Relaxation in a Happy Life.

Homework: "I learned that it makes me happyto relax and spend quality time with friends and family.

Printed out - it's neater that way.

everlong Thu 19-Dec-13 17:28:13

This isn't about your children having to do homework in the Christmas holiday.
This is you being pissed off at the head for not being polite.

Two different issues.

I think you're making a mistake by not doing the homework.

Phaush Thu 19-Dec-13 17:29:19

I don't think it's homework fort the OP, everlong.

LittleMissGerardButlersBaubles Thu 19-Dec-13 17:30:06

I'm pissed off at the head yes, but I also disagree with homework being necessary.

I think we will have to agree to disagree everlong grin

everlong Thu 19-Dec-13 17:30:50

I know it's not for the OP confused

NoComet Thu 19-Dec-13 17:32:46

"Piss off" is a complete sentence

everlong Thu 19-Dec-13 17:33:16

I wouldn't want my children marked down by the head for not doing the homework just because I didn't particularly like the way she had worded a letter.

But they are your children.

Donki Thu 19-Dec-13 17:34:03

I haven't given any of my secondary students homework (apart from year 11 having to revise for mocks - and I told them to make sure they had a break too).

If the YoungDonki had homework in primary, we would not be doing it. He is beyond knackered and needs a break.

Phaush Thu 19-Dec-13 17:37:05

Childhood is the only time you get to not do stuff apart from when you're retired - and lets face it, that's a long way off.

I could - perhaps - see the head's point if it was over summer because that's a long time for kids to be off, so some sort of minor task they'd all do the week before to help get them back in to it might be acceptable.

But homework for kids not at secondary school over Christmas? Forget it. I don't think being "marked down" by the head will effect their lives in the future smile

YouTheCat Thu 19-Dec-13 17:37:59

I'd bet my bottom dollar that any work handed in won't even be glanced at let alone marked though.

I doubt I'd worry about children aged 6 and 7 being marked down at all, ever. It is highly unlikely to come up on job applications in 15 year's time. confused

everlong Thu 19-Dec-13 17:38:32

My secondary age ds is off for 3 weeks and has no homework while his 7 year old brother has to read 2 books and review them. Now that I do find odd.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 19-Dec-13 17:38:34

That's rubbish everlong

I've liked all my dds teachers so far. I still hate the home work. I'd hate the home work if I hated the teacher or if I was married to the teacher. It's easy enough to separate the issues!!

CHJR Thu 19-Dec-13 17:39:42

All three of mine have had homework every holiday since we moved to this country, including summers before starting at a new school. (That's central London private schools for you.) We've always just done what I felt was reasonable and left the rest -- I didn't stop using common sense when my children acquired teachers. But I wouldn't get mad at a teacher for assigning homework -- I'd assume she was doing what she thought was best for the kids, even if I felt she'd made a mistake in a particular case. After all, homework means work for the teachers as well as the pupils; I don't think they assign it just to be irritating. Of course your new head COULD be suffering from the Gove effect. That man has a lot to answer for. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now