Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

to not get the attraction of Walking

(93 Posts)
Bogeyface Thu 19-Dec-13 01:14:40

Walking as opposed to walking. Getting from A to B on foot because it is quicker, easier or cheaper than other modes of transport? Fine.

Walking 15 miles in one day just for the pleasure of....walking 15 miles in one day. I dont get it. I never have!

My mum is a walker, she considers anything under 10 miles to be a stroll, but because she is so focused on covering the miles, she seems to miss more than if she was driving! She says she doesn't, but at 63 with health issues, there is no way she can cover 15 miles without her head down and powering her legs!

It isnt fun, it isnt entertaining, it isnt particularly sociable either as you have to Walk with someone else who is as miles obsessed as you are!

All of this I wouldnt give brain time to if it werent for the evangelical nature of Walkers! You love it, good for you! I dont, stop trying to convince me that driving to Buxton, walking 15 miles and then driving home is a good day out! All you have done is wasted petrol and energy to end up in exactly the same place you started at! A walking holiday that takes you from one place to the next, I can see the attraction in that. But walking in one big circle from the car to....the car, nope.

AIBU that a) I dont get and b) wishing that those who do get it would STFU about it?!

Spychic Thu 19-Dec-13 02:50:47

I thought this said Wanking.

Disappointed, not the thread I thought it was going to be

BabCNesbitt Thu 19-Dec-13 03:15:06

"I don't belong here! There aren't any SHOPS!"

grin grin grin

MistressDeeCee Thu 19-Dec-13 03:54:59

Bogeyface oh go ooooon...you know you want to grin

madwomanintheatt1c Thu 19-Dec-13 04:02:10

BabC, where do you live? <nosy>

I used to walk. I can still evangelise if necessary. wink Largely we stopped because of the kids (the smallest has a physical disability and the logistics of hiking are tricksy)

I am laffing at the view/ fog hillwalking thing though. True dat.

zebrafinch Thu 19-Dec-13 04:48:07

The Landscape of the British Isles is stunning and sometimes the only way to appreciate it is to get off road. I am not keen on the head down do 15 miles in a circle, wear the latest gear etc. but I find walking a cheap form of exercise which gives me time to think, look around and appreciate the beauty of our countryside. I am reading a book at the moment which describes how after the First World War so many of the returning soldiers spent their days out walking, keeping the old footpaths open, it was the only way they could get some peace in their minds, just to keep walking.

zebrafinch Thu 19-Dec-13 04:54:11

I will STFU now.

InaneNameChange Thu 19-Dec-13 05:00:55

Bogeyface nooo! I absolutely love it.
I often eschew the tube in London and ending up walking around the District and Circle line for example. I love taking a whole day to walk city to city (within reason; not Nottingham to Oxford for example). You see so much and it's so calming. And food tastes amazing afterwards.

Fair enough if you don't get any pleasure out of it though!

BabCNesbitt Thu 19-Dec-13 05:11:05

madwoman, I'm in Colorado. Anyone who says they're fenvy can bugger off. fangry fwink

MrsMook Thu 19-Dec-13 05:20:53

Saturday afternoon. Do I...
a) Jam myself up in town with thousands of other people to shuffle around the packed shops, and browse or buy things I don't need and sit in coffee shops where I can't hold conversation because of the hissing and wooshing of machines spouting out an overpriced, bitter brown liquid.
b) Jam myself up on the edge of town with thousands of other people wearing over priced synthetic shirts covered in advertising to go and watch 22 disgustingly overpaid men kick a ball.
c) get away from the crowds of people and traffic jams, go somewhere pretty, get some fresh air and exeecise, meet a personal challenge, chat to my friends, warm up and dry off in a country pub and have some amazing food that was probably good fresh pub grub anyway, but the appetite and fresh air have made it taste heavenly. (To really appreciate this phenonemen, carry your tent up a mountain, pitch it, cook some rehydrated crap like beanfeast, and scoff with joy before going to bed/ sleeping bag at sunset and carrying everything off the mountain the next day).

I met DH through hiking many eons ago in a walking club. Most of my good friends orginate through the club as spending long days walking and chatting, long nights in the pub, staying in barns/ tents together have allowed us to really get to know eachother very well.

Any hobby can get people that are a bit too enthusiastic on the gear. People carry a lot because they want to stay warm and dry if they have a problem.

I dearly miss going hiking. I haven't been for a year due to having a baby and SPD claiming squatters' rights. It's great for body and mind. An amazing mental and physical escape from daily life. Maybe many people are quite evangelical because they find it quite spiritual.

So I'll take option C and say YABU.

LessMissAbs Thu 19-Dec-13 06:31:49

LOL OP I'm one of those irritating fit and active sorts, but I'm not keen on walking either. I just find it too slow and boring! I'd only do it when I'm too old to run any more!

Very occasionally, I'll take a short walk somewhere different eg to admire autumn scenery or something, but absolutely not hill walking! Used to live in Scotland surrounded by fervent hill walkers and could never see the point.

Can't see the point in walking to work etc either if I'm run training later. I expect cities to have better transport links than un the middle ages!

Tapiocapearl Thu 19-Dec-13 06:42:38

So what do you do for excersise that's so much better?

What hobbies do you do that are so much more interesting?

I don't spend a lot if time walking these days but its s great distresser and yes it's uplifting to be looking at nature

Tapiocapearl Thu 19-Dec-13 06:45:15

But actually how you feel about walking is how I feel about shopping. Shopping is bleak and wasteful and frustrating.

brettgirl2 Thu 19-Dec-13 06:45:56

I don't understand why anyone would enjoy shopping or going to the gym. Everyone is different....

BikeRunSki Thu 19-Dec-13 06:48:24

I don't like watching, taking part it or talking about football.
I do for hillwalking.
Each to their own, it really doesn't bother me

<rustles cagoule>

trixymalixy Thu 19-Dec-13 06:53:51

Totally agree! DH is always going on at me about going walking. I just don't get the point. I don't enjoy it.

I much prefer playing tennis or skiing. Sports where there some element of mastering the technique.

I say I'll go walking with DH if he'll play tennis with me , neither happens! But what bugs me is that he goes on about me not enjoying waking as if I'm totally weird, yet he doesn't like tennis.

I like a good long hike, but it's those Sunday afternoon strolls so many people like that I cannot get my head round, or get excited about.

I'd rather go for a run, or go climbing.

trixymalixy Thu 19-Dec-13 06:55:07

If much rather run than walk. I get running.

Cooroo Thu 19-Dec-13 07:01:14

Not unreasonable. I'm sorry you will miss the pleasure walkers get from a good day out but you'll have your own 'things'.

If I say how much I also enjoy riding a bike across the hills I hope I won't upset my fellow walkers!

Just being out there away from all the mess and muddle is great whether on foot, wheels or horseback I guess

JollySantersSelectionBox Thu 19-Dec-13 07:03:02

It's an easy way to keep healthy at your DM's age. Low impact, and if she is Nordic walking then she's getting a good all over workout. It is hailed as the safest and best form of exercise.

I'm not trying to convince you, you're a complete stranger so what you do us irrelevant to me.

But since moving to Switzerland and wondering what all the fuss was about I definitely walk more. Everyone does it here at all ages. Little wonder they have the lowest BMI in Europe. I love it when I see really old ladies Nordic walking up snowy mountains. I am in awe of them.

I think my scenery can be slightly more spectacular though. wink

mysticpizza Thu 19-Dec-13 07:10:43

OP - YANBU.

DM is a member of a rambling club and she and DF go on yomping hols and have done since God was a boy. Never did get the attraction of sweating miserably up a hill for a five minute look at fields then being terrified of slipping and breaking an appendage on the way down or walking through fields of cowpats and insects. It was a truly great day when I got old enough to have a say in whether I was dragged along or not grin

Dh used to do loads of boy scouty stuff including walking and digging your own toilet hole but being married to me has cured him grin

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 19-Dec-13 07:12:38

I love it. Can't wait until ds is old enough to carry his own backpacking kit and we can head out into the Scottish highlands again. If you want pointless look at football...

struggling100 Thu 19-Dec-13 08:33:30

I'm afraid I'd be even more annoying to you. I enjoy fell running.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 19-Dec-13 08:44:28

I walk alone (well with the dog) to clear my mind and order my thoughts. Walking in the rain allows you to have a cry without anyone knowing.
Brisk walking gets the blood pumping and you feel more alive as a result.
If I hadn't been a walker I think I might have lost my reason in the last 18 months with everything that has happened.

LittleTulip Thu 19-Dec-13 08:53:37

I love shopping and footie but I mostly love walking!

Ever been to the grand Lake District OP? How can you not enjoy the wonderful nature, it engorges you, takes you in!

Wish I could go walking more actually

BrownSauceSandwich Thu 19-Dec-13 08:53:49

I quite like Walking, but largely because I get a big buzz out of the views, and often there's no other way to see them. And from my point of view, the solitary aspect is a selling point. BUT, this is all assuming the weather is good, the conditions are good, and I don't have to carry 20 kg of kit with me just to make it back alive. And camping? Sod that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now