secret santa

(55 Posts)
Lemonfizz Wed 18-Dec-13 18:02:39

I know I probably am being unreasonable but we just had our secret santa today at work. Budget £10 nothing rude. I picked out the hat a lady who has just started with us, so I don't really know her. But I got a nice baylis and harding gift set for her. It was reduced from £18 down to £10. I was really chuffed as it it really nice. Anyway opened mine and it's a cheap gift set from superdrug, probably aimed at young teenage girls. Chocolate bubble bath with a picture of a teddy on it. Price still on £5

I know secret santas are normally crap but must admit I feel it's a bit cheeky to not spend the same budget as everyone else. Also maybe should mention I'm not a young teenage girl but a knackered mum who is 51 sad

Can't even moan at work as don't know who it's from.....but I do have a sneaky idea

Anyway just wanted to vent....

DD's form at school did a secret santa, (£2 I think) so she informed me last night after they'd done it, and because she had no money she made a lovely "gift voucher" for a "Knitted Thing" of the recipient's choice from a list of about ten things, to be knitted by her Mam *me* over the holidays and brought in on the first day of term fhmm - she was trying to save money bless her, but quite why she couldn't have ^mentioned it beforehand I will never know. It went to a boy apparently, so I suspect he will want either a dinosaur or a minion but arghhhhhh fgrin
Still, at least she was enterprising I suppose

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 19-Dec-13 11:45:05

We do a £10 secret santa to save us all buying lots of gifts. You put ideas on your slip so always end up with something you want and most go over the budget not under. Its a bit of fun and you get a nice present without having to buy for everyone as its a small place.

Hate tacky secret santas unless billed as that and people shouldnt join in if they dont want to spend the budget or put thought into the gift.

Allthingsprettyreturns Thu 19-Dec-13 17:56:43

Pom sounds like your dd could be a future entrepeneur!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 19-Dec-13 19:42:17

ive done several ss this year and all been £5 - its meant to be fun and often we do say no toiletries for one as some allergic and obv dont know who you are going to get

agree spending less isnt on, but sometimes it happens, but to actually leave the price on as well seem silly

Our limit is £5, and this year we had a 'get if from a charity shop' option too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now