WIBU to ostentatiously get up and move to escape fellow passenger's disgusting eating noises?

(48 Posts)
quesadilla Wed 18-Dec-13 13:42:16

That's it really. Almost empty train. Will be really pointed if I move. Woman is scarfing down something from Greggs with her mouth wide open. In my view this is equal to antisocial phone use/music use. I really hate noisy eaters.

EugenesAxe Thu 19-Dec-13 07:12:15

I also hate chompers. I often endure my DH's wrath and eat my sarnies at home if I've been up at choir for the evening, even though it sticks 20 mins on our bedtime.

I have to be really hungry to eat on a busy train.

Iactuallydothinkso Thu 19-Dec-13 07:03:03

I actually have to go into a separate room at work to eat my lunch.nthere is a lady there who uses the proper room who has the same lunch as me and eats like an absolute pig. Pigs might even be quieter.

She eats with her mouth open and smacks with every chew and leaves an utter trail of devastation down her front and on the floor.

I have never experienced such bad eating habits before and I can't believe shy doesn't know she's doing it. It makes me feel ill and totally wound up. It really is awful.

Everyone else who shares my lunch break also decamps into the other room f they are staying in for lunch so I guess I am not alone in finding it utterly unacceptable. We never say a word though, it's an unspoken thing!

MistressDeeCee Thu 19-Dec-13 01:26:54

On public transport: no intervening into personal space. No loud, without hand over mouth, coughing. No trumpeting sneezes. No eating loudly, esp with mouth open. No bellowing on mobile phone. Ive recalled why, I barely use it unless desperate. Hackneybird your story about the man shovelling a curry down his gut is making me feel physically sick. The glutton. I think its really off-key to eat a full meal on bus or train, I just couldnt do it.

MistressDeeCee Thu 19-Dec-13 01:24:08

Cant stand people who bring smelly food onto trains and sit there scoffing with mouth open & lips smacking. I get up and move and dont give a damn what they think. ummmm...followed you, OP? So, what did you do?!!

lessonsintightropes Wed 18-Dec-13 23:32:48

fgrin at Hester!!

lessonsintightropes Wed 18-Dec-13 23:31:40

Uck I hate sitting anywhere near people eating on public transport. Was on a packed bus the other week with a lady eating greasy fried chicken right next to me which stank - so so foul - she also wiped her hands when she'd finished on her dress (pretty nice actually, obviously an office worker as it was current season Monsoon and I recognised it!). Made me want to boak. I did actually get up and would prefer to stand than sit next to the vom-inducing smell.

hackneybird Wed 18-Dec-13 23:07:56

I was on a train home once at tea time and a man opposite me was literally shovelling a curry into his mouth - clearly ravenously hungry but not even trying to be polite about it.

Anyway, he ended up splashing some of it on my shoes. He did apologise but I was fucking furious. I moved seats of course but had the rage all the way home. Argh.

Bubblegoose Wed 18-Dec-13 22:34:30

I ditched her in the middle of NZ and I'm not even sorry.

grin

My (tactless) sister did something similar in India, travelling with a good friend. But first she said something like "I'm sorry, you eat really loudly and it's driving me crazy." They parted ways and never saw each other again.

HECTheHeraldAngelsSing Wed 18-Dec-13 21:05:08

I dont know about ltb, but it's bloody revolting and worthy of a slap and being made to eat alone until they learn some damned manners.

HesterShaw Wed 18-Dec-13 18:34:18

I went travelling with a girl years ago. Stupidly I didn't know her that well before we organised the trip. She turned out to be a noisy, mouth-open eater. I had to LTB. I ditched her in the middle of NZ and I'm not even sorry.

Ownteethandhair Wed 18-Dec-13 18:31:22

Repeating on me! Sorry.

Ownteethandhair Wed 18-Dec-13 18:30:25

Could I just ask a tentative question? Is eating noisily (or with your mouth open or having food round your mouth and not noticing) a
LTB-able offence? Just asking? Not me that does it BTW.

Ownteethandhair Wed 18-Dec-13 18:29:53

Could I just ask a tentative question? Is eating noisily (or with your mouth open or having food round your mouth and not noticing) a
LTB-able offence? Just asking? Not me that does it BTW.

defineme Wed 18-Dec-13 15:33:41

The people near me on a train a while back were discussing their constipation-when the term 'like a rabbit's poo' was used I put my ipod on-that's what they're for imo!
I never understand why you see empty sandwich boxes in public toilets-I'd rather eat standing on the street than in a loo!

CosyTeaBags Wed 18-Dec-13 15:33:06

I used to feel painfully unable to rectify awkward social situations such as this for fear of causing offence. Things such as wanting to move away from someone who was making me uncomfortable, or turning and walking the other way down a street if I saw someone there that looked dodgy...

Then one day I thought "Fuck it. My life, I'll look out for me!" because no one else is going to do so!

I was on a ferry the other day, and I spent ages choosing a comfy seat in a completely empty seating area. Then went to the loo, and when I came back, found that some guy had set himself up to sleep right next to where I had been sitting (my stuff was still there, so it's not like it wasn't obvious). I briefly agonized over whether i would cause offence by moving, but then reminded myself of my resolution. And I thought it was more important for me to feel comfy than to worry about his feelings. So I moved then avoided eye contact with the guy for the rest of the journey

Glad you moved! Loud eating is unnacceptable!!

quesadilla Wed 18-Dec-13 15:26:16

Sorry, got distracted. She followed me but I think she was avoiding ticket inspector. Went into another part of the carriage (where I was), then disappeared into loo. I then got off so didn't see what happened.

Btw she took bag of food into the toilet. Closed, but still...

Ifcatshadthumbs Wed 18-Dec-13 15:03:08

Thing is it's not something he has always done, only really started noticing eat a few years ago and we've been together 15 years. I'm wondering if it is just part of letting himself go as his sense of dress makes me want to weep these days too.

HesterShaw Wed 18-Dec-13 14:50:27

LTB.

Ifcatshadthumbs Wed 18-Dec-13 14:30:49

I'm always baffled at how DH manages to inhale loudly, slurp and gulp seamlessly when he drinks. He's also does the inhaling thing with food followed by lots of noisy chomping. I haven't figured out how to point it out in a nice way yet.

MiSALTIREandwine Wed 18-Dec-13 14:19:47

One of the children I childmind is a slurper. I try really hard not to be too close to him when he drinks as its a sort of slurping noise he makes. Don't start me on his ice lolly eating technique

Golddigger Wed 18-Dec-13 14:18:35

I do this on a train. Pretend I am getting off at a station [providing I dont have too much luggage] and actually move a few carriages along the train and sit somewhere else entirely.

Lottapianos Wed 18-Dec-13 14:17:48

'Other people should be banned on public transport'

Oh god yes. Please let it happen. Or people should at least behave as if they are in public and keep their music, food, drinks, children and snot to themselves <vomits>

HesterShaw Wed 18-Dec-13 14:17:25

Arf at Gosh that sounds delicious! grin

HesterShaw Wed 18-Dec-13 14:16:33

God no! <shudder> Yuck, how disgusting.

I had to move the other week because of someone sniffing.

Sniff
Sniff sniff
SNIFF
sniff sniff sniff
SNIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFF
massive snort of catarrh

Other people should be banned on public transport.

C4ro Wed 18-Dec-13 14:15:30

It's your daughter isn't it...
Pffft.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now