Secret Santa

(46 Posts)
MaxPepsi Wed 18-Dec-13 13:23:20

I've just put my 'gift' straight into the bin.

AIBU??

quesadilla Wed 18-Dec-13 13:25:22

YANBU. I hate secret Santa. It works passably in an office or friendship group where people know each other really well. Doing it in a standard office set-up is just awful, cringeworthy and a total waste of money.

MaxPepsi Wed 18-Dec-13 13:28:51

I quite like the idea between friends, saves money when you only need to buy one present.

This is a work one, not a massive budget £5-£10. I got a bargain present for £3.99 as it had been reduced from £10.00

I doubt the person who got my 'gift' even spent £1.50. If they didn't know what to get why not a cheap bottle of plonk like some of the rest were given??

Bah Bloody Humbug!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 18-Dec-13 13:29:27

It's particularly hopeless where men are involved. I generalise, but they have no interest in present buying, and usually buy the easiest commedy present/cheap soap that they can find.
YANBU.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 18-Dec-13 13:29:37

No, it's why I don't do it anymore. I don't understand when there's a £5 or £10 limit people just go to the pound shop or give something that was clearly some crap unwanted gift.

If you can't afford it or aren't planning on spending the amount you shouldn't join in, in my opinion. I've had some right crap given to me, it's really disappointing.

It's not like SS is compulsory where I work. Some years people have had no presents bought back for them! I think that's terrible.

tinselkitty Wed 18-Dec-13 13:33:33

Hotel chocolate is my friend for secret Santa. Most people appreciate even a small packet of yummy chocolate.

I hate it when people buy crap. Mine was obviously re gifted to me last year

MaxPepsi Wed 18-Dec-13 13:44:32

I'm going to have to share it with you all. after retrieving it from the bin

It's a book entitled 'don't wanna!' The official rule book of the refuse to grow up club, with a key ring saying I refuse to grow up.

I'm a 38 year old woman ffs not a 12 year old child!

I'm genuinely astounded at how crap it is. And what makes me more angry is the rest of the floor have fucked off out on a team lunch which I wasn't invited to as I'm not part of their team! Makes me feel really wanted in my workplace. NOT!

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 18-Dec-13 14:09:09

Learn your lesson, and don't participate next year - if you're still there! biscuit

Oh dear-I'd think whoever bought it for you was indeed trying to tell you something... Sorry.

lessonsintightropes Wed 18-Dec-13 15:29:03

I usually give a 'Secret London' guidebook or other unusual London-related thing for our office (as we are based there and employ a lot of graduates who aren't necessarily that au fait with some of the more odd corners of the capital). It's something I'd like to receive and I'd be delighted with the Hotel Chocolat chocs too. Last year I got a really nice Cath Kidston mug.

The present was ridiculous OP and if your colleagues are so cheap and inconsiderate I probably wouldn't participate (very quietly) next year.

Gossipmonster Wed 18-Dec-13 15:30:13

I buy something really nice and thoughtful every year and always get something smutty - I also feel like chucking mine in the bin hmm

happygirl87 Wed 18-Dec-13 15:37:08

I bought hotel chocolat this year! Was a £10 limit though and I spent £12.50 (shhh!)

I received a book called "how to work with difficult people"- whcih I know was from a guy on my team as a joke, and made me smile. fsmile

LineRunner Wed 18-Dec-13 15:40:37

OP, if you PM me your address I'll send you a nicer present that may or may not involve chocolate. That's for making me fsmile

Purplefrogshoe Wed 18-Dec-13 15:51:17

YANBU I spent a lot of time on my secret Santa gift, lovely candles and wine wrapped really nicely and I got £1 shop tat

clarinetV2 Wed 18-Dec-13 15:55:47

YANBU. I once worked in an office where we knew each other reasonably well. The way we did Secret Santa was to draw the recipient's name out of a hat so that you knew who you were buying for, and it was fun trying to find (or make!) something within the price range that the person would like. In my current workplace we just put all our gifts into the sack, and draw one out at random. It's useless. I have given up trying to put much thought into the present I buy, because a) I don't know all my colleagues very well, and b) they all vary in tastes and interests. So I buy a candle-holder or something equally unimaginative from the local German Market which is full of such tat, and bung that in. I suspect most of the presents I've had are 're-gifts' from previous Christmases. Waste of time and energy.

makemineabacardi Wed 18-Dec-13 16:03:51

YANBU. It's even worse when its a SS within a friendship group - my present last year was astonishingly shite. Limit was £15, I got a shitty tiny board game of 'gender questions'. Played it once on opening when I inflicted it upon the whole of said friendship group then it went to charity. I made myself even angrier by looking it up online to find it was selling at Hawkins Bazaar for £5. angry

I've refused to participate this year.

Chocolate is a go-to gift, never fails! smile

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joysmum Wed 18-Dec-13 18:21:42

Did you put it in the bin at work? Hope not as that wouldn't be very bright.

And yes, YABU because shit presents can still be donated to charity shops to make money.

Bloodyteenagers Wed 18-Dec-13 18:33:36

So you did the mature thing of chucking the book in the bin and are now having a strop about the present you received.

FetaCheeny Wed 18-Dec-13 18:50:44

Don't blame you for putting it in the bin, that kind of gift is only funny from someone who knows you, otherwise it's insulting!

RobotLover68 Wed 18-Dec-13 19:23:58

I pulled out of friendship group SS this year - I gave it one last go last year and I got (for £10)

A packet of tictacs
A tin "think tobacco sized tin"
A squidgy soap which I wasn't 100% sure what it was

I cried. I know that sounds pathetic but i hardly get any presents and they are never surprises because my DH is rubbish at surprises

Over the years, same group, I've sent beautiful chocolates, a scarf, necklace/earring set - really made an effort and every single year I've got a "oh that'll do" gift

This year I said no more

OP YANBU

Owllady Wed 18-Dec-13 19:27:00

The last Time I was in one at work I got a penis corkscrew hmm

BabyMummy29 Wed 18-Dec-13 19:29:42

I've always hated it in the past as it just consisted of (some people) giving and receiving rude gifts which was quite embarrassing in some cases.

This year we all bought a gift and they were just pulled out at random from a sack.

Much better for 90% of those concerned.

Littlefish Wed 18-Dec-13 19:36:10

I've knitted a pair of hand warmers in my recipient's favourite colour. We had a £5 limit, so it's difficult to get anything nice. I bought a ball of nice wool, and got knitting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now