to think a stew with a pastry lid is not a pie?

(45 Posts)
mousmous Wed 18-Dec-13 12:47:25

such a dissapointment!

Hoofdegebouw Wed 18-Dec-13 16:30:32

Are you my dh?? I dread him getting such a 'pie' when we're eating out, the indignation and moaning can go in for days..
A pie has sides and a bottom, so I'm told.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Wed 18-Dec-13 15:48:06

YANBU.

There should be a law. Seriously.

The Scots have gotten away with this travesty for FAR TOO LONG.

Beastofburden Wed 18-Dec-13 15:46:14

I love "pie" with just the pastry lid but it must be shortcrust.

Puff pastry pies are an abomination. Fact. The pastry tastes of grease cos it is made with cheap fat and not butter.

My mother swears by cookeen to make pastry but I don't like it, I am an all-butter girl myself

YANBU, really pisses me off in pubs when then do this. I now ask if it has pastry at the bottom and then much to DH'd annoyance moan when they tell me it just has a pastry crust on top, that is not a pie imo.

ouryve Wed 18-Dec-13 15:38:25

It's a pot pie.

And doesn't disappoint me, since I often leave the bottom, anyhow.

Sometimes, I just have done and cook the pastry completely separately.

lessonsintightropes Wed 18-Dec-13 15:38:02

YANBU - I bought a ready made steak and ale one from Tesco and felt much cheated when it didn't have a bottom. fsad

mousmous Wed 18-Dec-13 15:36:57

shepherds pie and fish pie could definitly be improved with a pastry casing smile

MoominMammasHandbag Wed 18-Dec-13 15:33:24

What about a shepherds pie or a fish pie then? I don't think pastry is the defining factor.

mousmous Wed 18-Dec-13 15:33:01

I want butter pie now!
sounds lovely.

Butter pie is heaven, (when its a good one that tastes of butter) especially with cheese and Salad cream.

koTinkaBell Wed 18-Dec-13 15:28:45

weirdest thing we have round here is butter pie, it seems to be nothing but slices of spud in a pie crust. But it has a bottom! grin

sashh Wed 18-Dec-13 15:01:16

I see your half pie and raise you the Midlands version of a potato pie. No pastry at all, just mashed potato and cheese.

GoldenGytha Wed 18-Dec-13 14:26:32

I love home made steak pie, but it must only have a pastry lid,

Actually a very Scottish way of making a Steak Pie, with just a puff pastry top, never shortcrust.

JockTamsonsBairns Wed 18-Dec-13 14:26:25

YABU!

In Scotland, a pie is indeed a stew with a lid. I give you our world famous steak pie - not to be confused with the "steak pie" consumed in England.

Hth

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 18-Dec-13 14:22:57

As long as the stew and pastry met before they went in the oven, that style of pie suits me fine!

Too much pastry is too filling. I like a nice individual portion of stew with a puff pastry topping.

kotinka Wed 18-Dec-13 14:02:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mousmous Wed 18-Dec-13 13:56:25

<phew>
for a moment I thought I had written the offending grav(e)y.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 18-Dec-13 13:51:28

>>>| ... screeches to a dead halt at the spelling of 'gravey' shock

Sorry OP, dig about a thread there, as you were! Yes, pies are pies, not wet stuff with a pastry lid! <looks for placard>... grin

Anatanacoat Wed 18-Dec-13 13:46:05

YANBU

That's not a pie, it's a hat.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 18-Dec-13 13:34:39

Yes! All hail the soggy bottom!

KatAndKit Wed 18-Dec-13 13:18:20

yANBU the "faux pie" is one of my pet hates. A pie is cooked in a pie dish and has top and bottom pastry. I particularly like bottom pastry as it is a bit soggy with pie gravy. A stew with a puff lid is not a pie at all.

no blind baking required here. Buy packet of shortcrust pastry, roll out, assemble pie, in the oven. Works fine for me.

BoreOfWhabylon Wed 18-Dec-13 13:16:25

A pie is only a pie if filling and topping are cooked together, in an oven. That is my the rule.

My granny made lovely stews. Next day the leftover stew would appear in a pie with top, bottom and sides in delicious shortcrust pastry (pastry always made with lard).

Now THAT was a real pie, none of your cheffy disc of flaky nonsense.

frogspoon Wed 18-Dec-13 13:14:16

I would still call that a pie, as it does actually have a pastry lid.

However I have had stews with little pastry dumpling things sold to me as "pies", when they are clearly not pies.

UsedToBeNDP Wed 18-Dec-13 13:11:28

And a pasty is filling entirely cased in pastry but isn't a pie

<puzzling>

Shepherds pie is not a pie but still called pie... much to my 6 year old's disgust

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now